SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 14, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #3,331 of 15,290
Hi guys owners of the IER-Z1R. What setup you use when commuting? Sue to the looks I get from certain people here while riding the Bus , S-Bahn and U-Bahn (subway) I plan to go less flashy f.e instead of wm1A buy an used Nwz-A15 and leave the 1A at home. Ssme for the headphones get some cheap KZ and leave the blingy IER-Z1R at home
KZ-ATE, $13 USD, SQ for the price is amazing! And at that price, they're as close to disposable as you can get. Forget them on the subway, no big deal! LOL
I just got the FiiO M11, which pairs beautifully with the Z1R’s. Sounds nicer even than the Q5 with AM3D module. I’m set

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #3,332 of 15,290
Not true, you can get stupidly loud with portable gear now a days, and you can do something about that concert sound pressure too actually.
That’s why I wear a pair of Fitear custom earplugs to concerts now to reduce the sound pressure to protect my hearing. It made concerts so much more enjoyable because I can still feel the bass but my ears no longer ring after.

Also, constant listening at relatively high volumes is in fact more harmful in the long run than exposition to really high volumes a couple of times a year.
Nonetheless, I also got some V-Moda earplugs for gigs that seem to do the job.

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #3,333 of 15,290
Hey guys, how can you calculate the maximum power/volume an IEM (the z1r in this case) can comfortably take without getting damaged or prematurely worn out?

I know most people say that if your ears can take it, then the headphone can easily dish it out without any problems, but I've never seen any numbers to support this.

I just want to put my mind at ease because I ran some pretty loud sweeps and rumbles through the z1r to test its response and see if there are any clearly audible burnin effects.

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #3,334 of 15,290
Hey guys, how can you calculate the maximum power/volume an IEM (the z1r in this case) can comfortably take without getting damaged or prematurely worn out?

I know most people say that if your ears can take it, then the headphone can easily dish it out without any problems, but I've never seen any numbers to support this.

I just want to put my mind at ease because I ran some pretty loud sweeps and rumbles through the z1r to test its response and see if there are any clearly audible burnin effects.

https://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/IER-Z1R/spec.html

Official spec is maximum power input is 100mW

Jun 15, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #3,335 of 15,290
Yes, I saw that and tried to use it to calculate a max volume with the zx300, but things are not trivial. First, the z1r impedance curve is not published (there are some independent measurements that show 40 Ohm up to about 2kHz and then a gradual drop to about 12 Ohm at about 14kHz). Then, the ZX300 maximum output power is specified at 200mW for a 16 Ohm external load. I don't know how that number changes (if at all) when the load is 40 Ohm instead of 16.

Jun 15, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #3,336 of 15,290
Yes, I saw that and tried to use it to calculate a max volume with the zx300, but things are not trivial. First, the z1r impedance curve is not published (there are some independent measurements that show 40 Ohm up to about 2kHz and then a gradual drop to about 12 Ohm at about 14kHz). Then, the ZX300 maximum output power is specified at 200mW for a 16 Ohm external load. I don't know how that number changes (if at all) when the load is 40 Ohm instead of 16.

The impedance curve of the Z1R shouldn't matter - if it's rated for 100mW input it means that the maximum it can take is 100mW no matter what. Which means you are looking at any headphone out that would output more than 100mW for a 40ohm load attach would be where things gets dangerous.

On the other hand it's hard to tell how much the ZX300 would output with a 40ohm load without some actual measurements and that's where a power vs impedance curve is needed as that relationship is almost NEVER linear (as perfect amps don't exists in real life) - in fact most amp output fluctuants and is less efficient with a lower impedance load attached rather than higher impedance loads. But either way there's no way to infer how much it would output with a 40ohm output from the official 200mW @ 16ohm spec as the load difference is too great to make a resonable guess. On the other hand if you are looking at other TOTL DAPs like Lotoo PAW or Cayin N8 or iBasso amp modules which outputs 500mW @ 32ohms those devices are surely going to blow out the IER-Z1R at max volume.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #3,337 of 15,290
The impedance curve of the Z1R shouldn't matter - if it's rated for 100mW input it means that the maximum it can take is 100mW no matter what. Which means you are looking at any headphone out that would output more than 100mW for a 40ohm load attach would be where things gets dangerous.

On the other hand it's hard to tell how much the ZX300 would output with a 40ohm load without some actual measurements and that's where a power vs impedance curve is needed as that relationship is almost NEVER linear (as perfect amps don't exists in real life) - in fact most amp output fluctuants and is less efficient with a lower impedance load attached rather than higher impedance loads. But either way there's no way to infer how much it would output with a 40ohm output from the official 200mW @ 16ohm spec as the load difference is too great to make a resonable guess. On the other hand if you are looking at other TOTL DAPs like Lotoo PAW or Cayin N8 or iBasso amp modules which outputs 500mW @ 32ohms those devices are surely going to blow out the IER-Z1R at max volume.
I had a fiio x3 first gen, I think the x3 was as rated at 500 mw @16 ohm and I blew up my then xba-1

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #3,338 of 15,290
Sensitivity is 103dB / mW.
Maximum power handling is 100mW.

Max sound pressure level =
(decibels SPL per 1 mW) + 10*log10(power in mW) =
103 + 10log10(100) =
123 dB

123 dB is about where the pain threshold is, so if it is uncomfortably loud, dial it down a bit.
Also stick with the non-balanced output on the NW-ZX300 if you can since this will prevent too much power from being transferred.
The balanced jack will definitely be able to exceed 100 mW.

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #3,339 of 15,290
After listening to IER-Z1R for a few days, comparing it with Utopia, the sound stage is so amazing! It makes you feel like you are in a opera house listening to The Magic Flute live. Unlike Utopia, with such a small sound stage, you are aware that you are sitting in your living room listening to a good record of opera instead of attending it! IER-Z1R is excellent in listening to classical musics.

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #3,340 of 15,290
After listening to IER-Z1R for a few days, comparing it with Utopia, the sound stage is so amazing! It makes you feel like you are in a opera house listening to The Magic Flute live. Unlike Utopia, with such a small sound stage, you are aware that you are sitting in your living room listening to a good record of opera instead of attending it! IER-Z1R is excellent in listening to classical musics.
Totally agree I am also amazed by the soundstage and organic sound. Was listening to.krebs organ works amazing makes me feel being in that cathedral live, just wow

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #3,341 of 15,290
One of our team spent a few months with the Z1R and he was very impressed with it. Sadly, I only had a few mins at the original press launch back in Aug 2018 in HK.

https://headfonics.com/2019/06/sony-ier-z1r-review/

Z1R-1.jpg

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #3,342 of 15,290
Jun 16, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #3,343 of 15,290

Users who are viewing this thread

Back