SONY IER-Z1R
May 26, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #2,926 of 15,277
Nah i beg to differ. Barely a week and I've managed to scratch one of my earpiece. Not sure how I did it tho. Anyone else find these scratch easy?

That's too bad. Could you please post a picture of the scratch? Different metals scratch differently, and zirconium alloys are pretty exotic, so there's not much info out there.

May 26, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #2,927 of 15,277
No it isn't, you just have to listen to both to understand that the DMP-Z1 just crushes anything A&K ever sold, including the KANN when it comes to sound quality.

Heck, the only thing that sounded better that I have listened to, than a DMP-Z1 with MDR-Z1R or Focal Utopia combo are either Mid range level Stax tube amplifier with an SR-L300 or SR-L700 or the Sennheiser HE-1. The DMP-Z1 is THAT good. The KANN is a laughing stock in comparison, in fact most A&K DAPs are usually underperformers compared to their competition, sometimes high cost doesn't mean higher quality. The Hiby R6 Pro for instance sounds better than the SP1000 at a fraction of the price, if you want an expensive, yet good sounding DAP in which the sound quality is reflected in the price, there are plenty of options to chose from such as the Sony NW-WM1Z or the Cayin N8.

The only thing you end up paying extra for in the A&K products is the brand itself.

Don’t worry, I did listen to DMP, and I know what it can do :wink:. I even studied it and so on, and let’s not mention Stax....because I am getting DMP for my Stax T2 with XF2 tubes and :wink: SR009

May 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #2,929 of 15,277
You forgot "in my humble opinion." :)

Not that I disagree that A&K is overpriced.
"In my humble opinion" then. I shall add however that I have listened to everything I mentioned earlier, from the KANN to the Orpheus (HE-1) setup. Sometimes the difference is just night and day, or at least wide enough to tell when something is more than just placebo or subjective.

Such is the case if you compare the KANN (Heck, even the NW-WM1Z!) To the DMP-Z1. I strongly suggest you do a listening on these. The difference is so huge you wouldn't even need to do a direct A/B comparison (although I did in between the WM1Z, WM1A, ZX300, Hiby R6 Pro and DMP-Z1), because I had direct access to those at the time I listened to the DMP-Z1.

In details alone, only Electrostatic setups would get close to or better than the DMP-Z1.

May 26, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,930 of 15,277
In terms of technicality, the vx does have a lot going for it. It is clearer, more detailed, slightly airier than the z1r that is tuned to a signature that is easy to listen to. But the main advantage the vx has over the z1r is the way the vocals are represented. I think that is the main reason why people tend to pick vx over the z1r. But there are also things that favors the z1r. It has a better bass response, the treble is just as detailed without sounding as sharp and it has a wider soundstage than the vx. Personally having a great bass is important for me so ya this is still it.

Nah i beg to differ. Barely a week and I've managed to scratch one of my earpiece. Not sure how I did it tho. Anyone else find these scratch easy?

Yes i also have a scratch on one of the shells and i have it 2 weeks but in the end it is something i use and will scratch over time. I dont even think that is looks that bad on a metal shell.

May 26, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2,931 of 15,277
"In my humble opinion" then. I shall add however that I have listened to everything I mentioned earlier, from the KANN to the Orpheus (HE-1) setup. Sometimes the difference is just night and day, or at least wide enough to tell when something is more than just placebo or subjective.

Such is the case if you compare the KANN (Heck, even the NW-WM1Z!) To the DMP-Z1. I strongly suggest you do a listening on these. The difference is so huge you wouldn't even need to do a direct A/B comparison (although I did in between the WM1Z, WM1A, ZX300, Hiby R6 Pro and DMP-Z1), because I had direct access to those at the time I listened to the DMP-Z1.

In details alone, only Electrostatic setups would get close to or better than the DMP-Z1.

Streaming still not a thing on a Sony dap unless bluetooth? How's the battery?

May 26, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,936 of 15,277
Indeed bluetooth or USB DAC.

I don't know what's the DMP-Z1 battery life, but you can expect between 20 to 30 hours of battery life on other Sony High end DAPs depending on what output and gain you are using.

DMP is 10 hours on FLAC as estimated by Sony. It doesn’t have quick charge, so it would need 4 hours for full charge. However, it can run on AC plugged in even without any battery inside :D, and this is different than charging while draining the battery away from many other devices. This is one other marvelous design from DMP. It is so marvelous that if you can build yourself an Ultra high-end Low Noises Power Supply externally, you can continuously be using DMP from AC itself

Streaming suck....why would you want to buy something of this caliber and be using streaming ? WiFi interferences, App algorithms suck....file quality also suck. If you are dedicated enough to buy DMP, you are dedicated enough to buy CD and rip it properly, and perhap you would never accept anything less.

May 26, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #2,937 of 15,277
Yes i also have a scratch on one of the shells and i have it 2 weeks but in the end it is something i use and will scratch over time. I dont even think that is looks that bad on a metal shell.
Post a pic, Marvin!

May 26, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,938 of 15,277
DMP is 10 hours on FLAC as estimated by Sony. It doesn’t have quick charge, so it would need 4 hours for full charge. However, it can run on AC plugged in even without any battery inside :D, and this is different than charging while draining the battery away from many other devices. This is one other marvelous design from DMP. It is so marvelous that if you can build yourself an Ultra high-end Low Noises Power Supply externally, you can continuously be using DMP from AC itself

Streaming suck....why would you want to buy something of this caliber and be using streaming ? WiFi interferences, App algorithms suck....file quality also suck. If you are dedicated enough to buy DMP, you are dedicated enough to buy CD and rip it properly, and perhap you would never accept anything less.
Agree, streaming is not audiophile. Only CD, SACD /DSD and hi-res flac.

I hope the IER-Z1R are the mini me version of the bigger MDR-Z1R

May 26, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #2,939 of 15,277
Agree, streaming is not audiophile. Only CD, SACD /DSD and hi-res flac.

I hope the IER-Z1R are the mini me version of the bigger MDR-Z1R

I would love a good recording on an SACD :). But ripping SACD is a Pita....and so is inserting album art ....LOL! But for quality, we go the miles. I hope Sony soon to release some devices to rip SACD in a breeze with a button or whatever....with a camera ready to snap picture and Album art into it by another button, and all you need doing is typing in the name kakakaka

May 26, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #2,940 of 15,277
z1r-2_LI.jpg

Sorry that the pic is big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back