SONY IER-Z1R
May 25, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,911 of 15,290
Liking the Andro S and IER-Z1R as I do myself just indicates a penchant for shiny things. I don't even listen to either of them, I just hold them up to the sunlight and look for scratches.
Lol, I brought a loupe today. The z1r is not as tight as I would've hoped, but I like the Bauhaus vibe.

May 26, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #2,913 of 15,290
Lol, I brought a loupe today. The z1r is not as tight as I would've hoped, but I like the Bauhaus vibe.

Tight? As in the finishing?

May 26, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #2,914 of 15,290
Woah I was reading the CA io thread, full of controversy, more polarized views than there. :D

But some reviews seem to be a joke, with VITAL INFO can make the.most for a review, and this includes;

A) songs you se (album, artist, label etc)
B)the format of encode used for the song files
C)Gear used

May 26, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,915 of 15,290
Tight? As in the finishing?

Yes. For example, the inside of the nozzle or the inside of the mmcx connector sleeve are a bit rough. It seems that the housing received that extra attention only on the outside, which I'm sure is fine for many users.

I wonder if the sponge they have in the nozzle as a filter/protector could be user serviceable.

May 26, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #2,916 of 15,290
Yes. For example, the inside of the nozzle or the inside of the mmcx connector sleeve are a bit rough. It seems that the housing received that extra attention only on the outside, which I'm sure is fine for many users.

I wonder if the sponge they have in the nozzle as a filter/protector could be user serviceable.

So true if you look at the photos in my review the close-ups can show finish imperfections. Though because the IEMs don’t seem to scratch easy, maybe the metal is just tough to work with and smooth out.
81F7AAE8-8F4E-4B03-9C7E-800DF6CBEF9D.jpeg
6EC58B5F-6A87-4C4D-B5AF-6F9EFFBA2791.jpeg
C8AFDC79-368B-459B-8011-A682D1A459DD.jpeg
867774FA-7254-4911-AA62-F689CB19A5B1.jpeg

Attachments

• 6C7B5B11-4D66-40BC-B257-FCBD7DEE9711.jpeg
    6C7B5B11-4D66-40BC-B257-FCBD7DEE9711.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 51B6A0AE-8559-412E-ACD8-94ACF454A5B6.jpeg
    51B6A0AE-8559-412E-ACD8-94ACF454A5B6.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #2,917 of 15,290

So true if you look at the photos in my review the close-ups can show finish imperfections. Though because the IEMs don’t seem to scratch easy, maybe the metal is just tough to work with and smooth out.

I was actually just looking through the pics you posted in your review to see if I could use one as an example. Nothing really stood out though. In the pic you just posted, the nozzle is out of focus, so we can't see much. Since I didn't have a lot of time with the z1r, I tried to focus on the sound (duh... even though I also care about manufacturing quality quite a bit, definitely more than the average Joe) so I didn't take pic of the housing. Could you please post clear examples of the imperfections you noticed on yours?

May 26, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #2,918 of 15,290
It’s easy to get side tracked.....but this is normally how the IEMs look in use.

5FA150DA-E258-4B4C-96FF-36CA9929DD55.jpeg

BB9D8211-8588-4E37-A768-AE79B13285D9.png
I was actually just looking through the pics you posted in your review to see if I could use one as an example. Nothing really stood out though. In the pic you just posted, the nozzle is out of focus, so we can't see much. Since I didn't have a lot of time with the z1r, I tried to focus on the sound (duh... even though I also care about manufacturing quality quite a bit, definitely more than the average Joe) so I didn't take pic of the housing. Could you please post clear examples of the imperfections you noticed on yours?

Just added to my post above.

Really though in normal light they are fantastic, it’s a little unfair to show them with white reflection off the nozzles as we don’t normally see the IEMs in such lighting.

Except for maybe fine watches, everything shows how it’s made and the closer you look the rougher stuffs looks. An example would be a really expensive ring which looks normal to the naked eye, but becomes a completely different thing when looked at magnified.

But in all sincerity I’m 100% satisfied with the build quality. In the 1A and Sony Walkman 1Z thread we were taking about the marks on the 4.4mm Pentaconn ports, as they have interesting marks.

Again though most people would maybe never see such things or not care. The sound is close to perfection.....so that’s all I care about, and they seem built well.

The trick is to enjoy stuff for all it offers and not try to find fault if stuff is made well and sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #2,919 of 15,290

Really though in normal light they are fantastic, it’s a little unfair to show them with white reflection off the nozzles as we don’t normally see the IEMs in such lighting.

Except for maybe fine watches, everything shows how it’s made and the closer you look the rougher stuffs looks. An example would be a really expensive ring which looks normal to the naked eye, but becomes a completely different thing when looked at magnified.

But in all sincerity I’m 100% satisfied with the build quality. In the 1A and Sony Walkman 1Z thread we were taking about the marks on the 4.4mm Pentaconn ports, as they have interesting marks.

Again though most people would maybe never see such things or not care. The sound is close to perfection.....so that’s all I care about, and they seem built well.

The trick is to enjoy stuff for all it offers and not try to find fault if stuff is made well and sounds fantastic.

The last picture you posted. I dont recognize the z1r in it. where is this shot from?

May 26, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #2,920 of 15,290
The last picture you posted. I dont recognize the z1r in it. where is this shot from?
This is the 4.4mm Pentaconn ports from the wm1z.

May 26, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #2,921 of 15,290
That is the 4.4mm balanced out from his wm1z. My zx300 looks the same. The edges are a bit rough.

May 26, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #2,922 of 15,290
KANN Cube is something similar to DMP-Z1 :)....just isn’t built with the craftsmanship and engineering level as DMP-Z1
No it isn't, you just have to listen to both to understand that the DMP-Z1 just crushes anything A&K ever sold, including the KANN when it comes to sound quality.

Heck, the only thing that sounded better that I have listened to, than a DMP-Z1 with MDR-Z1R or Focal Utopia combo are either Mid range level Stax tube amplifier with an SR-L300 or SR-L700 or the Sennheiser HE-1. The DMP-Z1 is THAT good. The KANN is a laughing stock in comparison, in fact most A&K DAPs are usually underperformers compared to their competition, sometimes high cost doesn't mean higher quality. The Hiby R6 Pro for instance sounds better than the SP1000 at a fraction of the price, if you want an expensive, yet good sounding DAP in which the sound quality is reflected in the price, there are plenty of options to chose from such as the Sony NW-WM1Z or the Cayin N8.

The only thing you end up paying extra for in the A&K products is the brand itself.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,923 of 15,290
Are you referring to the dark stains near the base of the nozzle?
Except for maybe fine watches, everything shows how it’s made and the closer you look the rougher stuffs looks.
Maybe that's the reason... I'm a bit of a watch nut, probably because I'm so attracted to small details and appreciate something made with extreme precision. And while I've always cared about how music sounds, my adventures into $1000+ hifi are pretty recent, so my expectations for such expensive gear have not dulled yet.
Coming from my experience with watches I was surprised by what audiophiles consider as "very well built".

May 26, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #2,924 of 15,290
Unless you have a lot of money and actually care enough to spend it on multiple same generation iems that aren't even drastically different of course they're in competition. Not a lot of people who have one will have both even among those posting on this forum. I'm at least glad the IER-Z1R isn't getting blown out of the water though from what I read the QDC VX is probably better.

In terms of technicality, the vx does have a lot going for it. It is clearer, more detailed, slightly airier than the z1r that is tuned to a signature that is easy to listen to. But the main advantage the vx has over the z1r is the way the vocals are represented. I think that is the main reason why people tend to pick vx over the z1r. But there are also things that favors the z1r. It has a better bass response, the treble is just as detailed without sounding as sharp and it has a wider soundstage than the vx. Personally having a great bass is important for me so ya this is still it.

Nah i beg to differ. Barely a week and I've managed to scratch one of my earpiece. Not sure how I did it tho. Anyone else find these scratch easy?

May 26, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,925 of 15,290
No it isn't, you just have to listen to both to understand that the DMP-Z1 just crushes anything A&K ever sold, including the KANN when it comes to sound quality.

Heck, the only thing that sounded better that I have listened to, than a DMP-Z1 with MDR-Z1R or Focal Utopia combo are either Mid range level Stax tube amplifier with an SR-L300 or SR-L700 or the Sennheiser HE-1. The DMP-Z1 is THAT good. The KANN is a laughing stock in comparison, in fact most A&K DAPs are usually underperformers compared to their competition, sometimes high cost doesn't mean higher quality. The Hiby R6 Pro for instance sounds better than the SP1000 at a fraction of the price, if you want an expensive, yet good sounding DAP in which the sound quality is reflected in the price, there are plenty of options to chose from such as the Sony NW-WM1Z or the Cayin N8.

The only thing you end up paying extra for in the A&K products is the actual brand.

You forgot "in my humble opinion." :)

upload_2019-5-26_16-57-44.png

Not that I disagree that A&K is overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back