SONY IER-Z1R
May 16, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #2,686 of 15,265
It depends on what you listen to, if you listen to pre-loudness war music with wide dynamic range, the lack of power becomes somewhat obvious as the details aren't quite present/forward as they should be. Would most people only listening to modern music notice? I somewhat doubt so. In fact the NW-WM1A should be powerful enough to drive the IER-Z1R (but certainly not the MDR-Z1R!) in most scenarios.

Power isn't only about volume output, this is why there are both impedance and sensitivity measurements, in fact low impedance devices (such as what good IEMs would be) require higher current (but lower voltage) to drive.

About the difference of power output between the NW-ZX300 and the NW-WM1A/Z, it would be worthwhile if it was 50mW@32Ohms, as it turns out it's 50mW@16Ohms, which is quite negligible.

That said, the lack of power output on Sony Walkman DAPs contributes to their long battery life, which is one of the most interesting point of Sony DAPs. It's still much an improvement compared to what we used to get on the NW-ZX2 and earlier Sony devices.

Quite frankly, if hard to drive listening apparatus is what you are keen on listening while on the go, Sony DAPs aren't for you. (Unless you fancy carrying an extra portable amplifier, of course.)

I clearly and simply do not belong here and I really don't care. Actually this thread has become so boring. I have no screwing idea what "pre-loudness war music" means. Really? And @rutter hijacking pages of this thread? Really??? Ooops my ears are ringing. I need to stop. But I'll end with the z1r rocks, and if it's not for you move on. It's that simple.

May 16, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #2,687 of 15,265
Thanks for the advice guys. I've had a change of heart. Even though the IER-Z1R only requires 1mW to hit 100dB and and 100mW to reach the pain threshold of 120dB I have purchased this power amp to ensure that my IEMs receive the power they require to truly shine and not require 'crazy amounts of EQ' like they require on the truly horrible ZX300.

Sounds amazing so far. Thanks for showing me the light.

I don't think a 3000watt peak amplifier is enough for Z1R. You need at least a 10.000-watt amplifier. This Z1R is power hungry. Only then you can hear the best what Z1R can offer.

/s

May 16, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #2,688 of 15,265
I clearly and simply do not belong here and I really don't care. Actually this thread has become so boring. I have no screwing idea what "pre-loudness war music" means. Really? And @rutter hijacking pages of this thread? Really??? Ooops my ears are ringing. I need to stop. But I'll end with the z1r rocks, and if it's not for you move on. It's that simple.

You're quoting a substantive post. If that is too boring for you perhaps it's not the thread that is at fault.

May 17, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #2,689 of 15,265
Speaking of ear ringing, I'm wondering whether the aforementioned ear rape we were doing is having a lasting effect. I think my ears may be ringing more even without using the IER-Z1R. I didn't notice this before those 30 minutes I was getting the nozzle inside my ear canal and feeling some sounds. Is it possible in that brief period I caused some longer lasting damage that hopefully abates and goes away? It's not like I put myself into an audio-induced coma.

May 17, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #2,690 of 15,265
Speaking of ear ringing, I'm wondering whether the aforementioned ear rape we were doing is having a lasting effect. I think my ears may be ringing more even without using the IER-Z1R. I didn't notice this before those 30 minutes I was getting the nozzle inside my ear canal and feeling some sounds. Is it possible in that brief period I caused some longer lasting damage that hopefully abates and goes away? It's not like I put myself into an audio-induced coma.
Tinnitus or ear ringing are usually
1) listening sound too loud for a bit too long of an extended period of time,
2) infection, can be sinus or the ear, may even happen from common cold for example
3) side effect of consuming medication.

I think from those three you're most probably hit on the first one., should abate sooner or later. Try lessening those dBs or stop using IEMs for a while, a couple days should do.

If it persist, it's better to get it checked.
If you start having pain and slight loss of hearing (on one side usually), it's most probably an ear infection.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #2,691 of 15,265
I'm not convinced but this is useful advice nonetheless. A decade ago I think I first noticed tinnitus and that was indeed associated with a medication. Funny thing is it was said it could be permanent. Wasn't warned, but that was ok I suppose.

May 17, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #2,693 of 15,265
I'm having a conversation with someone claiming that the absence of a vent makes iems dangerous. We wrote about this before but I'd like a second round of opinions.
Maybe on aircraft when climbing /descending. I wore my Xba-z5 on a train ride from Hessen to Hamburg , the train crossed some tunnels the IEM made these parts of the trip more enjoyable than before with no IEM as I got no air-blocked ear after the train enters the tunnels at 330 km/h

May 17, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #2,696 of 15,265
That's not actually correct, the vent is, as rutter mentioned, below the 'R' and 'L' letterings, directly behind the mmcx connectors.
Pics or it didn't happen. :)

May 17, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #2,697 of 15,265
Pics or it didn't happen. :)
48FB31BB-4823-4282-B073-E71FD52FBE87.gif

May 17, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #2,699 of 15,265

Attachments

• 8B2F5177-1761-4454-841F-4CF15C3B6311.jpeg
    8B2F5177-1761-4454-841F-4CF15C3B6311.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back