SONY IER-Z1R
May 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2,641 of 15,264
Welcome to Summit-Fi bud, little improvements from exorbitant increase in price of admission.

May 13, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #2,642 of 15,264
How is the z1r holding up in terms of wear? Does it pick up scratches easily? @Redcarmoose, you've had yours a while, care to chime in? Maybe add some pics too. :)

May 13, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #2,643 of 15,264
I can't claim to have had my IER-Z1R as long as Redcarmoose, but mine still looks basically flawless after 7 weeks. I use it every weekday on public transportation, work, and often on weekends too. I think the main thing is really making sure the two earpieces don't hit each other. This goes for all metal IEMs imo, but even more so for ones that are shiny like the Z1R. Much more noticeable than any micro scratches that may or may not be on my Z1R is how visible any ear gunk is. I clean it off every few days because of that. On most IEMs I'd just clean the eartips most of the time. On these I feel the need to clean a decent portion of the earpieces as well.

May 14, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #2,644 of 15,264
I'm still very much in the honeymoon period with the Z1R so I have no desire to do side by side comparisons with Andromeda S as yet, but I have to say for my musical preferences I think I'll end up preferring the Z1R. That's not to say the Andromeda S won't hold its own and I'm sure they would put up a very good fight in some genres.

I'm really just blown away with how the Z1Rs sound my electronic stuff (mainly ambient, some minimal techno and artists like Shpongle, Infected Mushroom etc). Enjoying some Led Zepp too, but yet to really touch most of my other music.

Also, after switching from ML comfort tips to M silicone, I'm finally satisfied with fit and comfort. Sound has become a bit more lively too. Will experiment with other tips and genres soon.

May 14, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #2,645 of 15,264
I'm still very much in the honeymoon period with the Z1R so I have no desire to do side by side comparisons with Andromeda S as yet, but I have to say for my musical preferences I think I'll end up preferring the Z1R. That's not to say the Andromeda S won't hold its own and I'm sure they would put up a very good fight in some genres.

I'm really just blown away with how the Z1Rs sound my electronic stuff (mainly ambient, some minimal techno and artists like Shpongle, Infected Mushroom etc). Enjoying some Led Zepp too, but yet to really touch most of my other music.

Also, after switching from ML comfort tips to M silicone, I'm finally satisfied with fit and comfort. Sound has become a bit more lively too. Will experiment with other tips and genres soon.
Sorry if you mentioned this before, but how would you rate comfort compared to Andromeda S?

May 14, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #2,646 of 15,264
How is the z1r holding up in terms of wear? Does it pick up scratches easily? @Redcarmoose, you've had yours a while, care to chime in? Maybe add some pics too. :)

I don’t know if I fit the standard use profile? I may? Mine never leave the house. I don’t even use them if there’s a chance I could fall asleep with them? Lol

They stay in a 6”X7” Japanese cardboard box with a cardboard lid and within a large fireproof metal safe. I kid you not. :)

But when I use them I do study them and they don’t seem to scratch. One time about two weeks ago I saw a small almost microscopic particle of maybe earwax on the inside rim of one of the nozzles. I was able to retrieve it safely. But I’m probably a weirdo? I don’t even let them touch most of the time if I can help it. So far life is great. I’m all done with cable changes too.....so no MMCX worries.

Way less scratches than I thought ..maybe none??
They are great!

I’ll get you some photos soon.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #2,647 of 15,264
Sorry if you mentioned this before, but how would you rate comfort compared to Andromeda S?
Comfort for Z1R is surprisingly good for its size and weight and they stay in well. Have had them in for 3 hours without issue. I'd say I like the fit and form factor of the Andromeda S more, but comfort wise they are both fine to me.

May 14, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #2,648 of 15,264
I don’t know if I fit the standard use profile? I may? Mine never leave the house. I don’t even use them if there’s a chance I could fall asleep with them? Lol

They stay in a 6”X7” Japanese cardboard box with a cardboard lid and within a large fireproof metal safe. I kid you not. :)

But when I use them I do study them and they don’t seem to scratch. One time about two weeks ago I saw a small almost microscopic particle of maybe earwax on the inside rim of one of the nozzles. I was able to retrieve it safely. But I’m probably a weirdo? I don’t even let them touch most of the time if I can help it. So far life is great. I’m all done with cable changes too.....so no MMCX worries.

They are great!

Dude, I'll give you the same advice I received myself (for me it was photo equipment): SEEK HELP! :) I for one didn't follow it, but with time things got a bit better.

Btw, if there anything to prevent stuff getting into the housing through the nozzle (like a net or something)? It's tough to tell from pictures if the blackness is just shadow or some material.

May 14, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #2,649 of 15,264
Dude, I'll give you the same advice I received myself (for me it was photo equipment): SEEK HELP! :) I for one didn't follow it, but with time things got a bit better.

Btw, if there anything to prevent stuff getting into the housing through the nozzle (like a net or something)? It's tough to tell from pictures if the blackness is just shadow or some material.

Well there’s no firearms in the safe, so I’m probably going to be...OK?

May 14, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #2,650 of 15,264
Took some pictures. 7 weeks of heavy use. My cleaning job is far from perfect, but as far as I can tell any noticeable imperfections in these pics are just dust or things that weren't wiped off perfectly.

I understand the concern because I've heard of some of the demo units being pretty beat up, but I assume they've been dropped, and the ear pieces are constantly hitting each other.

So yea. Just don't drop them, and don't put them in your pockets unprotected.

20190514_092615.jpg 20190514_092640.jpg 20190514_092711.jpg 20190514_092747.jpg

May 14, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #2,651 of 15,264
Took some pictures. 7 weeks of heavy use. My cleaning job is far from perfect, but as far as I can tell any noticeable imperfections in these pics are just dust or things that weren't wiped off perfectly.

I understand the concern because I've heard of some of the demo units being pretty beat up, but I assume they've been dropped, and the ear pieces are constantly hitting each other.

So yea. Just don't drop them, and don't put them in your pockets unprotected.

Somehow, the IER-Z1R reminds me of the Omega Ploprof: ugly and gorgeous at the same time!

20190114_124348.jpg

May 14, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #2,652 of 15,264
CC592780-56D0-4692-B578-A4E92BB05632.jpeg
Somehow, the IER-Z1R reminds me of the Omega Ploprof: ugly and gorgeous at the same time!

The IER-Z1R seem to me to be 99% function over design. The 1% is the perlage finish? But the rest seems totally functional and any beauty a side effect? Even the overall metal finish, a functional thing?

Perlage
Another traditional finish, also known as circular-graining or stippling, consists of covering the surfaces of the plates or bridges, by applying a pattern of overlapping small circles with a rotating peg. Often, it is used on hidden surfaces, for example, the back of the main plate (below the dial) or recesses. This finish is one of the few not to be entirely automatized and usually, a watchmaker’s hand is required to apply circular graining.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #2,653 of 15,264

They are great!

I have a set of Z1R's on the way! This is how I store my iems; cloth covered box kept in a closed cabinet. I have a thing about coiling cables too tightly.
Cable tray.jpg

May 14, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,654 of 15,264
There is only some foam in the nozzle of the z1r what can project against contamination. I suspect it is more some sort of sound filter.
I get good seal and comfort with the silicone hybrid tips. The comfort improves further with finale E type tips.

With the triple comfort tips i get no seal at all with any of them.

Marvin

May 14, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,655 of 15,264
Reached 200 hours on the DX220 with amp8. Separation is there, while positioning/imaging isn't as exquisitely precise as I recall from the EQed ZX300 there are at least two dimensions in width and depth, soundstage is not grand but whereas I was keenly aware I was listening to iems with the Solaris I'm not bothered by the IER-Z1R similarly. I think the spatial qualities of the IER-Z1R allow for appreciation and immersion whereas with the Solaris I found myself having to focus on the direct quality of the sound, which I did not like at $1650. I expect more than putting on regular earbuds taken to the next level. Bass is sufficiently controlled, on some songs I even wanted more. Also, rather than perceiving a spectrum of sound and trying to judge balance I perceive more of a headstage though nothing awfully advanced. This has already been implied but it relates to bass in that it's further localized. Vocals aren't terrible, no pressing need for EQ. There is clarity but it's not crystal clear. Spatial and other capabilities do allow for a considerable level of detail perception. Sometimes the sound is kind of loose and unresolved though, not convinced this is simply some of my music's fault but it's possible. I've also been listening to some stuff that is supposed to be flac and wasn't blown away. I can't really judge timbre or how accurately different sounds are heard.

I'm keeping the IER-Z1R for the time being. I think it's better than the Solaris and there aren't any common sense alternatives. Bass and space are significantly better. My biggest concern at the moment is ear ringing which seems present even after brief use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back