SONY IER-Z1R
May 9, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #2,566 of 15,277
it is actually being fun. Hip-Hop it's going on a clear path here. Any guess on the ranking? lol

I actually don’t know as I haven’t heard those IEMs. I have spent a short time with the N8 demo. Again hard to say anything other than I had a feeling the IER-Z1R bass would be the way it is. I look at the Atlas bass and N8 bass as being more dramatic, with the IER-Z1R bass slightly more detailed and less pronounced. Though these were just little things I told myself, as I wasn’t ever going to get a N8 CIEM or get the Atlas. I could be delusional or a Sony fan, or both in the end?

May 9, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #2,567 of 15,277
I actually don’t know as I haven’t heard those IEMs. I have spent a short time with the N8 demo. Again hard to say anything other than I had a feeling the IER-Z1R bass would be the way it is. I look at the Atlas bass and N8 bass as being more dramatic, with the IER-Z1R bass slightly more detailed and less pronounced. Though these were just little things I told myself, as I wasn’t ever going to get a N8 CIEM or get the Atlas. I could be delusional or a Sony fan, or both in the end?
I think is quite clear you're a Sony fan. lol

But my guess was more related to my comparison. M9/Z1r/A12t/AndroS

May 9, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #2,568 of 15,277
I think is quite clear you're a Sony fan. lol

But my guess was more related to my comparison. M9/Z1r/A12t/AndroS

I have lots of non-Sony IEMs and actually more on the way.lol.....non-Sony. I think many IEMs have their own gig. Meaning they can be loved for what they do different. That’s the great thing about having IEMs, it’s like having different rooms in a house with different speaker systems. None are bad, just some may be liked more? Also people are going to gravitate towards different things. I’m betting the M9 will be comfortable, the Andromeda will have it’s own midrange magic. If you know someone who has way different tastes in sound signature then you learn the subjectivity is REAL. Lol

Part of us is looking for this elite thing, yet it’s always passing.......I’m sure in a couple years they will release the IER-Z2R. Thus another step up the ladder.......though I can’t get my head around what it would sound like?

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #2,570 of 15,277
The N8 was slightly more coloured to me than the Z1R but if you need (even bigger) bass and warmth, that's where I'd look. Very good hybrid with tia highs.
The U12t is incredibly interesting but not as impressive as I had been led to believe, otherwise I would've purchased it over the Andromeda S as my full-BA solution. Bass is better on the U12t though, better texture, more tactility, as is well-documented.
M9 is a different presentation to the Andromeda S altogether for me, but I liked the M9's bass more. Accuracy of imaging was a tossup here. Though staging and airiness/outward diffusal still goes to the Andromeda S.
Fortunate to have been able to demo all the above IEMs.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #2,571 of 15,277
I have lots of non-Sony IEMs and actually more on the way.lol.....non-Sony. I think many IEMs have their own gig. Meaning they can be loved for what they do different. That’s the great thing about having IEMs, it’s like having different rooms in a house with different speaker systems. None are bad, just some may be liked more? Also people are going to gravitate towards different things. I’m betting the M9 will be comfortable, the Andromeda will have it’s own midrange magic. If you know someone who has way different tastes in sound signature then you learn the subjectivity is REAL. Lol

Part of us is looking for this elite thing, yet it’s always passing.......I’m sure in a couple years they will release the IER-Z2R. Thus another step up the ladder.......though I can’t get my head around what it would sound like?
Be a Sony fan in 2019 is definitely not a bad thing (unless you're talking about their smartphones, but that's for another forum). :)

May 9, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #2,572 of 15,277
If I can get a universal N8, I would prefer that over the Z1R. I do feel the Z1R is warmer and more intimate compared to the Andromeda S.
Indeed. Doing a big comparison right now. Would love to have the N8 here now.

If anyone has an U one willing to lend, contact me please. :)

May 9, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #2,573 of 15,277
The N8 was slightly more coloured to me than the Z1R but if you need (even bigger) bass and warmth, that's where I'd look. Very good hybrid with tia highs.
The U12t is incredibly interesting but not as impressive as I had been led to believe, otherwise I would've purchased it over the Andromeda S as my full-BA solution. Bass is better on the U12t though, better texture, more tactility, as is well-documented.
M9 is a different presentation to the Andromeda S altogether for me, but I liked the M9's bass more. Accuracy of imaging was a tossup here. Though staging and airiness/outward diffusal still goes to the Andromeda S.
Fortunate to have been able to demo all the above IEMs.
Nice! As having all of them with me now, except the N8, is good to read your impressions. Would really like to have the N8 right now for this big comparison/review.

May 9, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #2,574 of 15,277
Be a Sony fan in 2019 is definitely not a bad thing (unless you're talking about their smartphones, but that's for another forum). :)

On the subject, it's saddening that Sony's smartphone division is so disconnected from their HiFi efforts. They've even removed the headphone jack as of late. They should be leading HiFi in smartphones, not LG.

It's unsure if they'll keep making handsets. If so, hope this is corrected sooner than later. They've brought their camera expertise over with the newest handsets (Xperia 1 and 10), now we need audio to too. A smartphone is a conglomerate of different electronic functions, so it makes since that each relevant branch of the company has a contribution. If only this was being done from the beginning, they'd be leading the smartphone market. It doesn't make sense that they make almost all the camera modules in smartphones and haven't the best implementation in their smartphones.

May 9, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,575 of 15,277
On the subject, it's saddening that Sony's smartphone division is so disconnected from their HiFi efforts. They've even removed the headphone jack as of late. They should be leading HiFi in smartphones, not LG.

It's unsure if they'll keep making handsets. If so, hope this is corrected sooner than later. They've brought their camera expertise over with the newest handsets (Xperia 1 and 10), now we need audio to too. A smartphone is a conglomerate of different electronic functions, so it makes since that each relevant branch of the company has a contribution. If only this was being done from the beginning, they'd be leading the smartphone market. It doesn't make sense that they make almost all the camera modules in smartphones and haven't the best implementation in their smartphones.
Because they're segmented into different divisions, a company that big, has little to no communications between their branch experts really. And that's just saddening.
Smartphone and laptop is an all in one device venture, and really I think Sony's expertise is actually making Those more niche, specialized product made to do one job (and one only)

Looking at how their professional camera line, sensors, Playstation, and now, Summit fi-class headphones and accessories, that's actually getting grounds and made waves, if they keep on doing nothing with their mobile device philosophy, their phones would never break out of the "other brands" out of many really.

May 9, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #2,576 of 15,277
Sony full size sensor cameras now dominate the professional photography world. A fairly new fact, since only a couple years ago.

May 9, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #2,577 of 15,277
Won't be using the JVC spiral dots. Did once again experience an improvement in vocals with the triple comfort tips vs the silicone hybrid so will be sticking with the former. I think the iBasso DX220 with amp8 does a questionable job with imaging, separation, and soundstage. You can't trust anyone on this damn forum. Let alone "reviewers" of any sort. Super disappointing.

May 9, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #2,578 of 15,277
Won't be using the JVC spiral dots. Did once again experience an improvement in vocals with the triple comfort tips vs the silicone hybrid so will be sticking with the former. I think the iBasso DX220 with amp8 does a questionable job with imaging, separation, and soundstage. You can't trust anyone on this damn forum. Let alone "reviewers" of any sort. Super disappointing.
Mate, I understand your pain. But have in mind that this is a forum of 99% subjective opinions and even on the objective comparisons graphs doesn't describe experience, so if you don't have a way to try by yourself anything that anyone here says will need to be taken with big grain of salt, filter a lot of the hype and BS wrote, some people write their review like they are writing a poem and at doesn't say anything. I already had frustrations here due to hype, but understood how that person got to that opinion and now I can understand their reviews based on what I experienced myself.

May 9, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #2,579 of 15,277
It's worse when some have ulterior motives. Even beyond reviewers, recently one poster suggested that some posters may in essence be working for manufacturers to make their products look good. That would be funny and frankly it wouldn't surprise me though you can only guess. One good thing to do is to ask about a product in the thread of another product (for comparison), get away from a self-selected subset of posters likely to be positive. Of course on the other end you may get another negative sub-set of posters but at least you end up reading things that could give you a more accurate view.

I think I'm at a circumstantial point where I just have to enjoy what I have. Been thinking about the FW10K but selling the IER-Z1R and getting the FW10K is a pain in the ass knowing that I could still end up shooting myself in the foot. No balanced cable, possible bright or harsh sound, possible lack of bass, possibly thin, possibly tame. That one guy who informally reviews many iems (not crinacle) wrote that the FW10K is for people with hearing damage... bah, I'll just post it here as you guys will enjoy it more than the FW10K guys:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 9, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #2,580 of 15,277
It's worse when some have ulterior motives. Even beyond reviewers, recently one poster suggested that some posters may in essence be working for manufacturers to make their products look good. That would be funny and frankly it wouldn't surprise me though you can only guess. One good thing to do is to ask about a product in the thread of another product (for comparison), get away from a self-selected subset of posters likely to be positive. Of course on the other end you may get another negative sub-set of posters but at least you end up reading things that could give you a more accurate view.

I think I'm at a circumstantial point where I just have to enjoy what I have. Been thinking about the FW10K but selling the IER-Z1R and getting the FW10K is a pain in the ass knowing that I could still end up shooting myself in the foot. No balanced cable, possible bright or harsh sound, possible lack of bass, possibly thin, possibly tame. That one guy who informally reviews many iems (not crinacle) wrote that the FW10K is for people with hearing damage... bah, I'll just post it here as you guys will enjoy it more than the FW10K guys:
Yep, I forgot to mention the paid or goods given reviewers, no judge to them, I would like to get free stuff to write a few words about them, the problem is that if you give bad words normally you don't get free stuff anymore. The balance is quite hard for someone starting in this job. and most of the times I tend to think that's why we only see good reviews around here and everything is the best for something and someone, that's actually true. as we are subjective listeners at some point one of those products will be the best for you. the path to them is a rocky road.

Long live this hobby. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back