SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #1,757 of 15,290
Here are my impression after using and owning M9 and Z1R for over a month: In short I like the M9 for its more intimate sound, ergonomics and price.

When I listen to M9, listening to vocal performance it feels like the artist is performing for me, its a one on one performance, they are sitting meters away from me and their focus is to please me. With Z1R, it feels like I'm in a concert, the artist is there but not only for me. Z1R is ideal for Orchestra pieces, live Jazz, anything that requires large and accurate sound stage. But M9 isn't too bad for its price. M9 is an ideal road companion keeping me happy on the road where I listen to vocal jazz bulk of my time, and at home on those odd occasion when time permits and I like to loss track of time in Malher I bring the Z1R out. Sadly Z1R just like Solaris isn't ideal for people with small ears, they are heavy and hard to keep in with the stock tips. On the other hand M9 just fits smaller ears so perfectly.

This hobby is all about fit, no matter how good the sound is, if it don't fit, what is the point.

Funny enough M9 loves getting paired with WM1Z, but the Z1R sonicaly is a better match with WM1A.

I'm curious - how you would compare the bass between the M9 and Z1R?

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #1,758 of 15,290
@JayF Only had about an hour of listening time on the M9 and the Z1R respectively.

In short the M9's bass to me is:

- less meaty and visceral, but feels more precise.
- Sounds like a BA (unsurprisingly so).
- Flatter relative to the mids and the treble and therefore slightly less exciting.

However like the M7, the M9 is also very smooth and even sounding. They nail the monitor-style expression IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #1,759 of 15,290
Z1R has a slower bass decay, which needs a good amount of voltage to come alive. M9 is easier to drive and has a much faster bass. If you can drive it and have a good fit Z1R is a no brainer, but M9 is so easy to drive, get a R6 Pro and happy days.

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #1,760 of 15,290
Z1R has a slower bass decay, which needs a good amount of voltage to come alive. M9 is easier to drive and has a much faster bass. If you can drive it and have a good fit Z1R is a no brainer, but M9 is so easy to drive, get a R6 Pro and happy days.
R6 Pro 4.4 balance shouldnt that be able to push the 1R?

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #1,761 of 15,290
R6 Pro 4.4 balance shouldnt that be able to push the 1R?
Yes, R6 Pro should, I tried the R6 and I didn't like the tonality with Z1R, hoping I get to try the Pro in the future.
I have to admit, not that I have the fund or means to have it anytime in the future but I want the Luxury & Precision, LP6 Ti.

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #1,762 of 15,290
Anyone know where to get things like extra IER-Z1R eartips? Just looking to get a few extra pairs of tips for my preferred size. I tried contacting audio46, but they said they don't carry any accessories for it.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,764 of 15,290
When I demoed the ier z1r at NYC canjam, I didn’t like it. I felt like the soundstage was not wide open, felt like something blocking there (maybe .... The hymen? lol ) anyway I
Can’t wait for my Sony IER z1r to arrive!!!
So you bought it because its a Sony ?

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,765 of 15,290
When I demoed the ier z1r at NYC canjam, I didn’t like it. I felt like the soundstage was not wide open, felt like something blocking there (maybe .... The hymen? lol ) anyway I
Can’t wait for my Sony IER z1r to arrive!!!

Sounds like you had a bad fit. The ier-z1r is crazy wide.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,766 of 15,290
So you bought it because its a Sony ?
No, I bought it because I don’t want to miss a good headphone (maybe?). I have the Sony MDR z1r, it gives me love and hate ! lol. I love most the music ,county classic vocal ... but for some music I just can’t stand it lol. Like “ move your body -sia” it just so harsh .... like a shitshow lol . Sony MDR z1r is very detail , it’s dark, but they are there if you look for it.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #1,768 of 15,290
Finally tried out more tip sizes than SS. Something I find interesting about these tips is how soft they are. I was actually able to deep seal every size hybrid from SS to LL. That's pretty cool, but makes it a bit difficult to decide which is best. Usually I run into a situation where only one or two sizes fit well. I think I'll be trying ML for a bit because the ML and LL tips are the longest. This is useful for me because it seems to push the shells out enough to prevent the small amount of discomfort I had with the SS tips. The S, M, and L tips may also solve that minor issue, but I'd have to test for a while. SS to ML kinda goes from one extreme to the other for better or worse.

Edit: Seems like ML makes them stick out too much over time. Wish I brought my S and SS tips with me to work today. S might be the go to. Either that or sticking with SS. Either way all these sizes are more than comfortable. Very happy with the stock tips and the fit of the Z1R.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #1,769 of 15,290

When I had the M9's, I could barely get myself to return them, and loved them in different ways than the Tia Fourte's I have. However, I read everyones review that the Z1R was the same, but wider soundstage. So I returned them, and patiently wanted for my IER-Z1R's. I've had about a week of demo time on them, and I have to say... Piano sounds are extremely lush! Rock / Alternative is "meh". But my biggest reason for returning them, is that the tip really hurts my ears after a long period of time. I ended up re-buying the M9's and who knows.. Maybe I will be crazy enough some day and sell my Tia Fourte's.

Until then, I may have some IER-Z1R (1 week old) for sale soon.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #1,770 of 15,290
The sony silicone tip maybe a bit uncomfortable, I changed to Final type E tips and I am now very happy with my IER-Z1R:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back