Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Aug 26, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #1,471 of 3,155
Yea so I've tried the following tips since getting my M9 and I figured I'd share my thoughts on each of them. If you just want to know which I think is the best skip to the bottom.
  • Sony Hybrids (Size SS)
    • Very comfortable and high quality. If these were my only option I'd be fine with this option. They are the softest silicone tips of the bunch with the exception of the triple comforts. A little wider than similar tips like the Final Audio so they seal a little better. Let's call this the "neutral tip" on which I'll compare the rest to. Good bass slam on these, wide soundstage, crisp highs. Pain in the ass to buy extra tips (ebay or encompass in the USA). You may need to get tips meant for the Sony IER-Z1R but they'll be the same aside from maybe the color.
  • Sony Triple Comforts (Size SS)
    • The most comfortable tips I've tried. The material is a special "silicone foam" which I haven't seen before. If I am going to wear my M9s for longer than 8 hours I think I'd probably go with these. The sound becomes a bit warmer with these but you lose some of the crisp high end. This change in tone makes them even less fatiguing (not that they are fatiguing to begin with; I'm talking about long stretches of wearing IEMs). So if you just want a relaxing listen or are taking a 12 hour flight these are the best choice. Pain in the ass to buy these too, but easier than Sony Hybrids in my size (ebay or encompass in the USA). You may need to get tips meant for the Sony IER-Z1R but they'll be the same aside from maybe the color. Their longevity is questionable.
  • Final Audio E Type Tips (Size SS)
    • These are interesting. They are excellent quality and fit the M9's even better than the stock tips! They kind of *click* in. The silicone is a little more firm than the Sony Hybrids but they are still comfortable. If you have really tiny ear holes I'd give these a try. I personally prefer the Sony Hybrids to these but it's a toss up and depends on your ear shape. Also these come with the nicest ear-tip box I've seen, so even if you hate the tips you still get something nice :) Sound-wise these are very similar to the Sony Hybrids. Easy to get these on Amazon.
  • Spinfit CP145 (Size S)
    • My least favorite of the group. Maybe because the CP145 doesn't come in size SS which I clearly prefer. They are very "wiggly" and I can see you liking them if you have a longer ear canal. They are comfortable for sure but I just didn't like their longer profile. Sound-wise they are more muffled than the others but still have decent bass. They are a bit more boomy than the others so if you want to maximize the bass impact I'd try these. Easy to buy these on Amazon.
  • Spinfit CP100 (Size SS/XS)
    • Ordered but have not tried them yet. edit, see below.
  • AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC 2 Pairs (Size SS)
    • These are second most comfortable after the Sony Triple Comforts. Their special material softens and forms to your ear shape when in contact with your warm ear. Because of that they provide the most custom IEM-like fit. You sort of just forget you are wearing them after a while. The sound is what really sells them though. Because of the nice seal they form the sound is noticeably changed. They are definitely less warm. Mids come a little forward, the bass has more impact, and treble is boosted too. I tend to lower the volume when wearing these tips vs the others because I get the same clarity at lower volumes. I haven't wore these for long periods of time so I can't attest to their comfort for hours and hours, but I will say these are probably the least relaxing sound for long periods and can see you getting a little hearing fatigue unless you drop the volume. These also come with a nice case, but nowhere near as nice as Final Audio's. I think the biggest downside of these is the material. It's a tacky silicone/plastic material that really attracts whatever lint or wax that's laying around in your ear. If you clean your ears regularly you should be okay but even so be prepared to wipe them off once in a while with an alcohol pad or a damp cloth. The benefit of the tacky material means they are the best at staying in your ears when moving around or chewing. Oh and if you are after noise isolation these were easily the best. Easy to buy these on Amazon.
Out of all of these I regularly use the Xelastec's, the Hybrids, and the Triple Comforts the most. They each have their strong points, as detailed above. But if I had to choose one, I'd go with the Sony Triple Comforts every time. Their silicone foam material is super plush, sounds great and is truly unique in the world of IEM tips.

edit, see below for my thoughts on the CP100

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,472 of 3,155
I received the Spinfit CP100 in size SS and have been playing with them all day and can say they are probably my favorite tips for the M9 now.

These are second most comfortable after the Triple Comforts now, beating the Sedna Xelastec for second place. However they keep the Xelastec's amazing fit in that they just disappear after a little while and you forget you're wearing them. I think some of the comfort comes from the fact that the spinfits are designed with a floating piece of silicone so they have a gentler fit in your ear canal. The sound isn't as in your face as the Xelastec's and is overall a smoother sound experience. They sound closer to the Triple Fits. A nice warm, smooth sound. Really good bass response. Upon closer inspection, the Xelastec has the widest bore of any of the other tips so now it's "in-your-face" sound makes sense and makes me feel like I'm a true Audiophile™ now, lol.

CP100's go on the M9's very easily and have a stock-like fit like the stock buds. They go on fairly easily but are on there well enough that you don't need to worry about losing a tip in your ear. They look super cool too - transparent with your size's color stem (in my case, purple). They come in a plastic insert that's not a great container, but does the job if you just want to put them in a drawer and keep them relatively clean. I immediately transported the extra pair to my Final Audio E tip case where they fit perfectly.

Buying these was a breeze on Amazon and I think they were the cheapest of any of the tips to buy.

In summary, they have an amazing balance of comfort, seal, and sound quality. No they aren't as plush feeling as the Triple Comforts, but I think if I had to only choose one tip it would be the Spinfit CP100.

Aug 29, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #1,473 of 3,155
I received the Spinfit CP100 in size SS and have been playing with them all day and can say they are probably my favorite tips for the M9 now.

These are second most comfortable after the Triple Comforts now, beating the Sedna Xelastec for second place. However they keep the Xelastec's amazing fit in that they just disappear after a little while and you forget you're wearing them. I think some of the comfort comes from the fact that the spinfits are designed with a floating piece of silicone so they have a gentler fit in your ear canal. The sound isn't as in your face as the Xelastec's and is overall a smoother sound experience. They sound closer to the Triple Fits. A nice warm, smooth sound. Really good bass response. Upon closer inspection, the Xelastec has the widest bore of any of the other tips so now it's "in-your-face" sound makes sense and makes me feel like I'm a true Audiophile™ now, lol.

CP100's go on the M9's very easily and have a stock-like fit like the stock buds. They go on fairly easily but are on there well enough that you don't need to worry about losing a tip in your ear. They look super cool too - transparent with your size's color stem (in my case, purple). They come in a plastic insert that's not a great container, but does the job if you just want to put them in a drawer and keep them relatively clean. I immediately transported the extra pair to my Final Audio E tip case where they fit perfectly.

Buying these was a breeze on Amazon and I think they were the cheapest of any of the tips to buy.

In summary, they have an amazing balance of comfort, seal, and sound quality. No they aren't as plush feeling as the Triple Comforts, but I think if I had to only choose one tip it would be the Spinfit CP100.
Thanks for the info! will try to get myself a pair :D

Aug 29, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #1,474 of 3,155
Yea so I've tried the following tips since getting my M9 and I figured I'd share my thoughts on each of them. If you just want to know which I think is the best skip to the bottom.
  • Sony Hybrids (Size SS)
    • Very comfortable and high quality. If these were my only option I'd be fine with this option. They are the softest silicone tips of the bunch with the exception of the triple comforts. A little wider than similar tips like the Final Audio so they seal a little better. Let's call this the "neutral tip" on which I'll compare the rest to. Good bass slam on these, wide soundstage, crisp highs. Pain in the ass to buy extra tips (ebay or encompass in the USA). You may need to get tips meant for the Sony IER-Z1R but they'll be the same aside from maybe the color.
  • Sony Triple Comforts (Size SS)
    • The most comfortable tips I've tried. The material is a special "silicone foam" which I haven't seen before. If I am going to wear my M9s for longer than 8 hours I think I'd probably go with these. The sound becomes a bit warmer with these but you lose some of the crisp high end. This change in tone makes them even less fatiguing (not that they are fatiguing to begin with; I'm talking about long stretches of wearing IEMs). So if you just want a relaxing listen or are taking a 12 hour flight these are the best choice. Pain in the ass to buy these too, but easier than Sony Hybrids in my size (ebay or encompass in the USA). You may need to get tips meant for the Sony IER-Z1R but they'll be the same aside from maybe the color. Their longevity is questionable.
  • Final Audio E Type Tips (Size SS)
    • These are interesting. They are excellent quality and fit the M9's even better than the stock tips! They kind of *click* in. The silicone is a little more firm than the Sony Hybrids but they are still comfortable. If you have really tiny ear holes I'd give these a try. I personally prefer the Sony Hybrids to these but it's a toss up and depends on your ear shape. Also these come with the nicest ear-tip box I've seen, so even if you hate the tips you still get something nice :) Sound-wise these are very similar to the Sony Hybrids. Easy to get these on Amazon.
  • Spinfit CP145 (Size S)
    • My least favorite of the group. Maybe because the CP145 doesn't come in size SS which I clearly prefer. They are very "wiggly" and I can see you liking them if you have a longer ear canal. They are comfortable for sure but I just didn't like their longer profile. Sound-wise they are more muffled than the others but still have decent bass. They are a bit more boomy than the others so if you want to maximize the bass impact I'd try these. Easy to buy these on Amazon.
  • Spinfit CP100 (Size SS/XS)
    • Ordered but have not tried them yet. edit, see below.
  • AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC 2 Pairs (Size SS)
    • These are second most comfortable after the Sony Triple Comforts. Their special material softens and forms to your ear shape when in contact with your warm ear. Because of that they provide the most custom IEM-like fit. You sort of just forget you are wearing them after a while. The sound is what really sells them though. Because of the nice seal they form the sound is noticeably changed. They are definitely less warm. Mids come a little forward, the bass has more impact, and treble is boosted too. I tend to lower the volume when wearing these tips vs the others because I get the same clarity at lower volumes. I haven't wore these for long periods of time so I can't attest to their comfort for hours and hours, but I will say these are probably the least relaxing sound for long periods and can see you getting a little hearing fatigue unless you drop the volume. These also come with a nice case, but nowhere near as nice as Final Audio's. I think the biggest downside of these is the material. It's a tacky silicone/plastic material that really attracts whatever lint or wax that's laying around in your ear. If you clean your ears regularly you should be okay but even so be prepared to wipe them off once in a while with an alcohol pad or a damp cloth. The benefit of the tacky material means they are the best at staying in your ears when moving around or chewing. Oh and if you are after noise isolation these were easily the best. Easy to buy these on Amazon.
Out of all of these I regularly use the Xelastec's, the Hybrids, and the Triple Comforts the most. They each have their strong points, as detailed above. But if I had to choose one, I'd go with the Sony Triple Comforts every time. Their silicone foam material is super plush, sounds great and is truly unique in the world of IEM tips.

edit, see below for my thoughts on the CP100
I like your review. I'm curious what's your review for JVC spiral dot ++ on M9 if ever you'll try it someday.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,475 of 3,155
I like your review. I'm curious what's your review for JVC spiral dot ++ on M9 if ever you'll try it someday.
These are my favorite tips by far. Since I slipped a pair on my M9 I haven't used anything else.

I bought a pair of Klipsch Cornwall IVs a few months ago so I've been neglecting all my headphones ever since. But I did start bringing my M9 and ZX300 to work and have been getting some good head time with it again.

But for home use...I am officially a 2-channel convert lol.

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #1,476 of 3,155
Just when i tought, that my Z1Rs were flashy and bling… Fiio FDX outclasses them in this regard. Gold plates shell (24kt) with Diamonds incrusted in the wind-fliw pattern lines… ugly as hell.

i’ve downgraded my z1R to classy timeless design

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #1,477 of 3,155
Can't believe I missed this until now. Really impressed the M9 demo. Gonna probably buy one next week. If you can get one for under $1000, the M9 is high up there in my recommendation list. A very good all-rounder pair. Highly resolving and spacious sound. Balanced tone, with delightful vocals :)

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,478 of 3,155
A very good all-rounder pair. Highly resolving and spacious sound. Balanced tone, with delightful vocals :)
All true, and i regret a bit selling it (twice, haha).
But then i remember it sounding not very exiting, not particular wide, and very, very warm, with more midbass than i like. Still, it's close to the top of my list of iems that didn't work for me in a long run :)

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,479 of 3,155
All true, and i regret a bit selling it (twice, haha).
But then i remember it sounding not very exiting, not particular wide, and very, very warm, with more midbass than i like. Still, it's close to the top of my list of iems that didn't work for me in a long run :)
They might be a good complementary pair, if you already have a more 'exciting' sounding one. In my case, since I mostly listen before bed, the more neutral tuning with wide enveloping soundstage allows for a more relaxing and immersive listen in the quiet dark. So that's been my preference lately, and the M9 pretty much hits the spot, as well as adding to my collection of different 'house' sounds (e.g. Softears, Oriolus, 64 Audio). Each possesses their own unique color

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #1,480 of 3,155
IER-Z1R with the new tricomfort WF-1000XM4 foamy ear tips. Game over

Over the stock tricomfort: 3x passive noise cancellation, 2x clarity, 5x the fit, 10x the staying power inside your ear. No more discomfort or fidgeting. Not annoying or pressurized as if you’re underwater like the comply.

You’re welcome
So after @ilbisonte posted that, I ordered some XM4 foamy replacement tips from encompass https://sony.encompass.com/model/SONWF1000XM4|B.

I tried them on the Z1R but I still prefer the OEM silicone tips with that IEM. So I then tried them on the M9 (since I use the OEM triple comfort with them) and I’m a convert. Understand, that I have always used the Z1R in quiet environments, but use the M9 as my main out-and-about mobile IEM. That’s why I have been using the triple comfort tips with the M9 (it gave better sound isolation, but there were some compromises in the sound, not so with the XM4 foamy replacement tips).

These XM4 tips are more comfortable too, and they sound like I have silicone tips on with no muffled bass or truncated treble, just really nice sound. These are my new faves for the M9. Give them a try; like @ilbisonte says, “You‘re welcome.”

Cheers,
gus

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,481 of 3,155
Just got my IER-M9s and I haven't been impressed by either of the tip styles included with the kit. But, I did find that the Azla Earfit shorts (black silicone) work very well indeed. They tighten up the bass a bit (I found the stock tips too boomy/bassy on many tracks) and elevate the mids/highs (the M9s need the mids elevated a bit). The soundstage is unaffected and the imaging is of course out of this world. Overall, with these tips, the soundstage is a rather uniform sphere that is set slightly forward of my face. Probably the most speaker-like atmosphere I've heard from an IEM so far. I miss some of the super-fine details that I get with some other IEMs, but the soundstage and imaging / atmosphere that the M9s create more than makes up for any lack of fine details. Now I know what folks are talking about when they mention the "dreamlike" atmosphere that the M9s create. It's enveloping. But as I said, I didn't get along with either of the included stock tip styles.

Anyway, the Azlas are amazing with the M9s. Give them a try if you've got them. Or buy them. This is the 2nd set of IEMs that I've found them to suit very well. Not quite so great with several other IEMs, but for the M9s, yes indeed.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #1,484 of 3,155
Its sold out on A2A. Its been for some time, and something tells me, it ain't coming back. I was lucky to snatch the pair at $899 before it was gone.
They've done this with a few products when they stop selling them, massive discount sold as "demo models". I got some Aeons the same way a while back. In that case, A2A stopped being an official supplier for DCA. I assume they want to clear their remaining stock but the manufacturer won't let them discount it that much unless they label it "demo".

I saw the M9 deal on Ozbargain and was tempted but back then I thought I wanted Moondrop S8s. A few more reviews and thinking about it though I kicked myself. Luckily I've found some used on SNA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back