Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #1,501 of 3,155
Been a while since I've used my M9 on the go, but I think I might have experienced once or twice due to the ear-hook section of the cable, because the outer sleeve is seperated from the cable itself and slightly sticky, so it could be pinching and releasing behind your ear or just moving around inside the housing as you move (moisture from sweat etc... could make it even noisier- especially if it gets inside the sleeve).

Apologies if you are experienced and know this stuff already, but some generic advice, just in case:

In my experience usually with loose connection I'd get obvious audio cut-outs or volume inconsistency*. I guess it could just be movement of the cable in the housing. Do you swap cables a lot?

Do you use a shirt clip? I find they are very helpful for reducing/eliminating cable related noises. (alternately you can try wearing them stage monitor style, with the cable running down your back and the Y slider cinched up to the base of your skull- although in the peculiar case of the M9 ear hook maybe wearing the cable looser would help too.)

A clicking type of sound can also be an issue with the seal/tips changing as you move (or possibly some occlusion effect or microphonics from your body, sometimes jaw movement can make a clicky sound)- in this case I would try playing around with different tip sizes, types and insertion depths.

*Conceivably could be coming from the source but assuming you have isolated it to just these IEMs. It also seems less likely that you would have issues with the mmcx electrical connection on the same side of two different headphones- FWIW the first thing I try with connection issues is cleaning with brush-on plastic safe deoxit.
"because the outer sleeve is seperated from the cable itself and slightly sticky"

I immediately noticed this as I was inspecting the cable when I first got my M7 and while I thought that was the culprit at first, what with the play/looseness caused by that construction, in further testing I determined it wasn't the case of the noise I'm hearing (very rarely I do hear something to do with ear hanger, but it's not enough to matter).

I did some more testing and I now believe the tips are the culprit. I use the Sony hybrid ML (blue) tips which for me are super comfortable and isolating as they create a full vacuum seal effect, but it seems that this vacuum seal leads to the clicking noise; I went for a walk today and did all sorts of testing, holding the ear hanger still, the MMCX connector still, pressing/pulling the whole shell from my ear, etc. I tested spinfit CP100 M, as well as the Sony triple comforts in M and MS and the Sony hybrids in M, and didn't get the issue. Unfortunately none of these tips fit like the Sony hybrid ML which creates the full isolating and secure seal effect, but I guess that strong seal is what causes the racketous microphonic effect in the first place, so there's no winning :frowning2:

I have Spinfit CP100 in small size on the way, maybe those will achieve a nice seal without the annoying noise. Spiral dot and Azla may also be an option, but they are both wide soundport with more treble + less bass which I definitely don't want.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,502 of 3,155
"because the outer sleeve is seperated from the cable itself and slightly sticky"

I immediately noticed this as I was inspecting the cable when I first got my M7 and while I thought that was the culprit at first, what with the play/looseness caused by that construction, in further testing I determined it wasn't the case of the noise I'm hearing (very rarely I do hear something to do with ear hanger, but it's not enough to matter).

I did some more testing and I now believe the tips are the culprit. I use the Sony hybrid ML (blue) tips which for me are super comfortable and isolating as they create a full vacuum seal effect, but it seems that this vacuum seal leads to the clicking noise; I went for a walk today and did all sorts of testing, holding the ear hanger still, the MMCX connector still, pressing/pulling the whole shell from my ear, etc. I tested spinfit CP100 M, as well as the Sony triple comforts in M and MS and the Sony hybrids in M, and didn't get the issue. Unfortunately none of these tips fit like the Sony hybrid ML which creates the full isolating and secure seal effect, but I guess that strong seal is what causes the racketous microphonic effect in the first place, so there's no winning :frowning2:

I have Spinfit CP100 in small size on the way, maybe those will achieve a nice seal without the annoying noise. Spiral dot and Azla may also be an option, but they are both wide soundport with more treble + less bass which I definitely don't want.

That vacuum seal ultimately hurts my ears and I had to test many others to get rid of that issue. AET07 my current favourite, worth a try.

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,503 of 3,155
That vacuum seal ultimately hurts my ears and I had to test many others to get rid of that issue. AET07 my current favourite, worth a try.
I agree, it does become uncomfortable after a while (probably due to pressure build-up since the IER-M7/M9 is a fully sealed design) but it's also the only thing that allows them to stay in my ear. Without that vacuum seal it just falls out constantly and I'm left with what is basically a very very expensive earbud :/

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #1,504 of 3,155
I agree, it does become uncomfortable after a while (probably due to pressure build-up since the IER-M7/M9 is a fully sealed design) but it's also the only thing that allows them to stay in my ear. Without that vacuum seal it just falls out constantly and I'm left with what is basically a very very expensive earbud :/

Yes that is the challenge with them. But you can find tips that seal enough to retain bass etc and less pressure issues - AET07 one example and they have a narrow bore also. It does take some experimenting to find the right one but worth it.

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #1,505 of 3,155
For me, JVC SpiralDot+ tips solved this issue. I haven't even considered another tip since I started using them.

I know I've said this to death in this thread but I'm gonna keep saying it: the M9 performs its best when using as small a tip as possible in order to achieve as deep an insertion as possible. So tips you have that you think are too small may not be too small if you try inserting deeper. A trick I use for insertion is to grab your upper ear cartilage and pull up, while doing this use your free hand to push the M9 deep into your ear. The shell of the IEM should rest in your outer ear.

When I first got my M9 I used the LL silicone tips for nearly a year and struggled with fit and seal the whole time. Only when I started trying smaller tips and deeper insertion did my experience improve. I went from size LL to size MS. And when I moved the SpiralDot+ tips (size medium) the issues disappeared completely.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,506 of 3,155
For me, JVC SpiralDot+ tips solved this issue. I haven't even considered another tip since I started using them.

I know I've said this to death in this thread but I'm gonna keep saying it: the M9 performs its best when using as small a tip as possible in order to achieve as deep an insertion as possible. So tips you have that you think are too small may not be too small if you try inserting deeper. A trick I use for insertion is to grab your upper ear cartilage and pull up, while doing this use your free hand to push the M9 deep into your ear. The shell of the IEM should rest in your outer ear.

When I first got my M9 I used the LL silicone tips for nearly a year and struggled with fit and seal the whole time. Only when I started trying smaller tips and deeper insertion did my experience improve. I went from size LL to size MS. And when I moved the SpiralDot+ tips (size medium) the issues disappeared completely.
I've switched to the Sony hybrid M (from ML) and they seem to work much better. After breaking them in for a day they achieve a vacuum seal like the ML, but not as strong, so I don't seem to get the clicking sound but they still stay in my ear reasonably well. I know the spiral dots are good quality tips (I had them years ago with my ATH-LS200) but I don't know if I want to mess with wide soundport tips due to the inevitable increase in treble and loss of bass -- I already want more bass presence from the M9, not less.

At least for now my problem seems to be solved with the Sony M, but I've also ordered CP100 S to try (CP100 M is just too large for my ears).

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #1,507 of 3,155
What carrying case do y’all use to carry the M9’s on the go? I like the one Sony has out of the box but it’s not great for travel since the top doesn’t zip up and easily opens

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #1,508 of 3,155
What carrying case do y’all use to carry the M9’s on the go? I like the one Sony has out of the box but it’s not great for travel since the top doesn’t zip up and easily opens
The carrying case they provided is actually quite good, granted if you can store the IEM properly inside the case, if its mis-aligned, then it will pop out easily. That said, i don't have lots of experience from 3rd party cases for M9.

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #1,509 of 3,155
I also like the supplied case and never had an issue with it popping up inside my backpack.
But another, very nice case is the the Dignis Arca. I got one with the Unique Melody 3DT and while it's big I really like it because it keeps the individual ear pieces separate, can either hold 2 pairs of IEMs (tight) or 1 pair with a big, fat cable.

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,510 of 3,155
So after @ilbisonte posted that, I ordered some XM4 foamy replacement tips from encompass https://sony.encompass.com/model/SONWF1000XM4|B.
I also ordered the XM4 tips based on this recomendation. Came here to say that I think they are the best I have used on my M9. They are extremely comfortable, provide good isolation, keep the sound stage wide, and do not harm the bass. I bought the M and L sizes to try, liked the M fit more.

Going to buy a few more of that size and stock up I think. Appreciate the tip on these!

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #1,511 of 3,155
I also ordered the XM4 tips based on this recomendation. Came here to say that I think they are the best I have used on my M9. They are extremely comfortable, provide good isolation, keep the sound stage wide, and do not harm the bass. I bought the M and L sizes to try, liked the M fit more.

Going to buy a few more of that size and stock up I think. Appreciate the tip on these!

If anyone knows of a source that ships to Europe I'd appreciate it!
I'd love to try these but Encompass does not deliver to EU.

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #1,512 of 3,155
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #1,513 of 3,155
Just bought the JVC Spiral Dot ++ Tips for my M9's. Stoked to try em!

Sep 22, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,514 of 3,155
Just bought the JVC Spiral Dot ++ Tips for my M9's. Stoked to try em!
My personal fav. Just hope you got the right size cause (as you now know) they're expensive as hell to import from Japan.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #1,515 of 3,155
Just a quick note to say I picked up a Dunu Blanche cable for my M9s and it fits great. The connector housing is smaller than the stock cable but they fit snug. I'm not going to post sound impressions, I've not had the M9 long enough and don't really want to back-and-forth with the stock cable.

20210923_135737.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back