Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Aug 22, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,456 of 3,155
This comparison has my interest! owning the m9 and wondering how it holds up to the u12t and whether it would be considered an upgrade.

From your description it sounds like the 'soundstage' is wider with m9 in comparison to u12t (at least in width) and a cooler sound signature (relative mid bass?). Any other comments from your comparison in tonality or technicalities?

One day I will test the u12t for myself, knowing the impossibilities of reconciling the reviews and comparison's online. but an interesting discussion nonetheless!

I have also heard the m9s being described as lacking in dynamics and wondered whether this is a technicality of a driver or tonality, with the m9 having relatively less peaks/troughs in comparison to other iem's. I have read modern music being criticized for being compressed and without much dynamic range, one reason being to flatten out a singers volume when recording. A general question to those in the business: can dynamic range of a transuducer be tested? e.g. if played into a microphone, couldn't the relative peaks/troughs be measured and compared?
M9 has a slightly warmer sound signature. The U12t is sort of neutral/sterile sounding.

Yes, M9 definitely had a wider soundstage and in general is just more enjoyable to listen to.

The packaging and build of the M9 is also a step up. Not that the U12t has poor build quality, but the M9 is clearly better. M9 is also more comfortable and comes with a better cable. Regardless of the price of each model, the M9 was a clear upgrade for me.

The only thing I kind of dislike about the M9 is it's supposed to be a pro stage monitor and yet replacement tips are pretty hard to find (at least in my size). And basic maintenance isn't a challenge, but you need to be careful because the filter is glued in and non-replaceable.

Aug 23, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #1,457 of 3,155
Just switched out the hybrids for some Acoustune AET08 tips, and boy did the M9 become even more engaging. Probably my only complaint about it was that it tended to sound "boring" at times, but the switch to these tips made a huge difference in the bass depth and impact.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #1,458 of 3,155
Just switched out the hybrids for some Acoustune AET08 tips, and boy did the M9 become even more engaging. Probably my only complaint about it was that it tended to sound "boring" at times, but the switch to these tips made a huge difference in the bass depth and impact.

I'm using AET07 at the moment and they've been the best I've used so far. I must order AET08 and try them too.

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #1,459 of 3,155
I have both but AET08 provide warmer sound, on Aroma W6.2 AET07 (stock tips) sounds very very well!

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,461 of 3,155
I think same as W6.2, but I’ll tell you soon☺️

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,462 of 3,155
So unfortunately, my IER-M9's left side connector is extremely finicky. Keeps breaking connection.

And then, to my surprise, I found out the warranty was only for 1 year! Jeez, talk about stingy! And worse, just the inspection fee for the repair from the authorised repairer is $110 AUD!

Y'all better baby these things if you live in Australia.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,463 of 3,155
So unfortunately, my IER-M9's left side connector is extremely finicky. Keeps breaking connection.

And then, to my surprise, I found out the warranty was only for 1 year! Jeez, talk about stingy! And worse, just the inspection fee for the repair from the authorised repairer is $110 AUD!

Y'all better baby these things if you live in Australia.

Tried cleaning it w/ deoxit?

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #1,464 of 3,155
Tried cleaning it w/ deoxit?

Yes, and unfortunately it wasn't an oxidation problem. I'm pretty sure it's the internal assembly being loose.

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,465 of 3,155
I finally got my M9 and ohhhhhh boy, it's really good. Currently, I'm using the hybrid silicon MS (I'm getting the best comfort + seal). SQ-wise, I'm fine with these eartips, however, whenever I'm removing M9 from my ear, the silicon is being like on the picture below.

Does this damage the eartips or this is fine and nothin to bitch about? I tried S and M but they're either too small or too large, MS fits me the most.

Attachments

• 240686975_613873042969232_1066374285772932297_n.jpg
    240686975_613873042969232_1066374285772932297_n.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 0
Aug 25, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #1,466 of 3,155
I finally got my M9 and ohhhhhh boy, it's really good. Currently, I'm using the hybrid silicon MS (I'm getting the best comfort + seal). SQ-wise, I'm fine with these eartips, however, whenever I'm removing M9 from my ear, the silicon is being like on the picture below.

Does this damage the eartips or this is fine and nothin to bitch about? I tried S and M but they're either too small or too large, MS fits me the most.

Looks like they are fitting and sealing really well!! I wouldn't worry about it. :sunglasses:

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,467 of 3,155

It's fine but might cause a pressure build in your ears - in my case, it does after longer sessions and ultimately hurts my ears. Hopefully it doesn't for you but just to make you aware! I find it less so with other after market tips such as Acoustune AET07 or Sedna standard.

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,468 of 3,155
Actually, yeah, it sort of builds a pressure in my ears and it kinda hurts after wearing it for long duration. I dig the sound of sony hybrid silicon tho. The other eartip that is comfortable for me is JVC spiral dot (normal) as it also have MS size. I'll try to get JVC sprial dot ++ MS if I find one in my country

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #1,469 of 3,155

Can try to break the seal before removing usually by pulling up on your ear and opening your jaw a bit, tilting the IEM to one side can help as well (there's a good video from Etymotic on inserting their IEMs that illustrates). This can also help for insertion or equalizing pressure/adjusting insertion depth if you get htat vacuum seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back