Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
May 13, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #1,276 of 3,155
And it is driven well enough to sound its best?
Well you can drive it. Can't fully answer whether its to the best or not, cause thats a broad thing to answer. But Yes you can drive it well and above

May 15, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,277 of 3,155
I tested a few IEMs (M7, plus a couple of Fiio) at addicted to audio today and ended up buying the M9 for AUD $899.

but I was pretty close to not buying them, because they were super bas heavy with a wide bore tip. It totally masked vocals and killed any crunch on guitars.

But going back to the box we grabbed a smaller bore and suddenly I was ok.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,278 of 3,155
I tested a few IEMs (M7, plus a couple of Fiji) at addicted to audio today and ended up buying the M9 for AUD $899.

but I was pretty close to not buying them, because they were super bas heavy with a wide bore tip. It totally masked vocals and killed any crunch on guitars.

Glad you ended up getting it. For 899 is hard to beat it. From sound and accessories.

So many fine tuning options now...tips and cables.

May 15, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #1,279 of 3,155
I tested a few IEMs (M7, plus a couple of Fiji) at addicted to audio today and ended up buying the M9 for AUD $899.

Sounds like you are describing the effects of vacuum/excessive seal thing some people in this thread mention rather than bore size (or possibly the opening was being blocked or collapsing in ear somehow)- AFAIK narrowing the bore size should act like a low pass filter increasing lower frequencies - at least anecdotally this seems to be the case and I think that's how it works in acoustics.

Whatever the case, sounds like you fixed the issue. If you still find M9 a bit bassy or dull sounding, I think if you experiment with some different size & length wider bore tips you might be find be able to find some that work.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #1,280 of 3,155
Just bought myself a brand new pair of m9, its quite impressive to see how iem has progressed for the last ten/fifteen years. What upgrade cable is everyone using?

May 16, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #1,281 of 3,155
Sounds like you are describing the effects of vacuum/excessive seal thing some people in this thread mention rather than bore size (or possibly the opening was being blocked or collapsing in ear somehow)- AFAIK narrowing the bore size should act like a low pass filter increasing lower frequencies - at least anecdotally this seems to be the case and I think that's how it works in acoustics.

Whatever the case, sounds like you fixed the issue. If you still find M9 a bit bassy or dull sounding, I think if you experiment with some different size & length wider bore tips you might be find be able to find some that work.
Apart from finding comply a real fail with westones I haven’t found a particular tip issue once I got a good fit. I’d been using triflanges on my AF180 for fit, but then found a good fit with olives and started loving them.

the a2a 899 is only available online even though I was in store, so anxiously awaiting delivery

May 16, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #1,282 of 3,155
Just bought myself a brand new pair of m9, its quite impressive to see how iem has progressed for the last ten/fifteen years. What upgrade cable is everyone using?
I actually bought another stock cable in case the one that came in the box wore out. I don't think I've ever used a cable as comfy and pliable as the stock one.

May 16, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #1,284 of 3,155
I actually bought another stock cable in case the one that came in the box wore out. I don't think I've ever used a cable as comfy and pliable as the stock one.
I do agree with that, this stock cable does feel quite a lot more comfortable than other stock cables. Im quite happy with the sound on the stocks already, just wanting to find out how far the m9 can go.

May 16, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,285 of 3,155
I do agree with that, this stock cable does feel quite a lot more comfortable than other stock cables. Im quite happy with the sound on the stocks already, just wanting to find out how far the m9 can go.
U can try kimber kable or fiio lc-re, dunu blanche. Im using fiio lc-re and very happy with it

May 16, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,286 of 3,155
U can try kimber kable or fiio lc-re, dunu blanche. Im using fiio lc-re and very happy with it
Mind telling me more about the fiio lc-re? That's one of the options that I'm currently looking at.

May 16, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,287 of 3,155
Mind telling me more about the fiio lc-re? That's one of the options that I'm currently looking at.
It is hybrid cable so it improves all spectrum, this cable impress me with treble the most.

May 18, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #1,290 of 3,155
IER-M9 sounds good on faster, chaotic music, such as extreme metal?

I often read about slightly swollen bass, that's the only thing that worries me.
I can't say that, its a laid back/ boring approach. Not really the iem for exciting and faster stuff. It's just something that carries weight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back