Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
May 11, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,261 of 3,155
m9 signature becomes wider and smooother and more laidback with the wm1a on balanced
And it is driven well enough to sound its best?

May 11, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #1,263 of 3,155
When I listened to them for the first time side by side I wrote down about the M7 "4BA model, very nice but just not up to the IER-M9 level"
and about the M9:
"Great sounding 5BA IEM (added super-tweeter). IMO better than Andromeda, more lively, more punchy. Closer to Solaris, but could not say how close. Great fit!
Very, very nice to hear that refined, detailed and sparkly BA sound with a little heft in the bass. But the weight and heft cannot compare even remotely to the EX800ST or XBA-Z5 slam. Pure SQ clearly above Z5, but the Z5 also has refinement paired with real slam. Matter of preference."

A year ago I bought the M9. Never considered the M7 simply because I knew I'd have always thought I should have got the M9.

From what I remember the M9 is livlier, than the M7, and it really needs that.
The M9 is extremely refined, clean and detailed, with exellent micro dynamics and imaging, at the cost of soundstage size and macro dynamics.

Maybe somone else can offer a more detailed comparison.
In my case I'd maybe consider the M7 as a commuter IEM, the M9 is my armchair IEM, when I like to dive into the musical details it has to offer.

i tested the M7, M9 and Z1R side by side as well. while the Z1R was ahead (except for the thinner mids), but the weight of it was too much. the M9 was ahead of the M7, and i felt balanced everything best among the three. since i could afford the M9 and Sony gave me a really hefty discount, M9 was my choice.

May 11, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #1,264 of 3,155
i tested the M7, M9 and Z1R side by side as well. while the Z1R was ahead (except for the thinner mids), but the weight of it was too much. the M9 was ahead of the M7, and i felt balanced everything best among the three. since i could afford the M9 and Sony gave me a really hefty discount, M9 was my choice.

I am still waiting for that really hefty discount from Sony 😜

May 12, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #1,265 of 3,155
Ive got both M7 and Z1R. M7 feels more wqrm leas detailed than z1r drom wm1A.

but five M7 the power they crave and a good source, they do shine. IMO i was vastly surprised how well they sounded from DMP-z1 balanced normal and high gain

May 12, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #1,266 of 3,155
I am still waiting for that really hefty discount from Sony 😜
Watch for discounts at Addicted to Audio in Australia. Best price on the M7 and M9 I have ever seen.
Bought the M9 from A2A last year for around $700. But they only ship in Australia, so you will have to find a forwarder If you choose to go that route.

May 12, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #1,269 of 3,155
^

On pure SQ alone, I'd go with the Clears. They have the dynamics and impact that you can't really get with IEMs. Full-sized headphones in general also have an airy and "bigger" sound that I generally prefer. However, while the Clears have better technical ability, I use the M9 more often because it's ultra convenient without sacrificing sound quality. It's tonality also makes it a great all-day listening device. In my eyes, they're the best IEM you can buy sub $1500, both in terms of SQ and built quality. Better all-rounder than the MEST, better bass than the Andros, etc.

I say if you don't need the portability, go with the Clear, but if you need something versatile that you can use on the go and at home, the M9 is a good choice. In fact, while I will probably upgrade the Clear some day, I don't think I need anything more expensive than the M9 for IEMs.

May 12, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,271 of 3,155
Any recommended EQ profile for M9?

May 13, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #1,272 of 3,155
^

On pure SQ alone, I'd go with the Clears. They have the dynamics and impact that you can't really get with IEMs. Full-sized headphones in general also have an airy and "bigger" sound that I generally prefer. However, while the Clears have better technical ability, I use the M9 more often because it's ultra convenient without sacrificing sound quality. It's tonality also makes it a great all-day listening device. In my eyes, they're the best IEM you can buy sub $1500, both in terms of SQ and built quality. Better all-rounder than the MEST, better bass than the Andros, etc.

I say if you don't need the portability, go with the Clear, but if you need something versatile that you can use on the go and at home, the M9 is a good choice. In fact, while I will probably upgrade the Clear some day, I don't think I need anything more expensive than the M9 for IEMs.
Hi, do you feel they're (M9) well enough driven off DAPs like say the WM1A?

May 13, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,274 of 3,155
^
Don't have the WM1A, but they should be more than enough for the M9. They're a bit more difficult to drive than your typical IEM, but not that much harder. For reference, I'm using a single-ended cable into the Qudelix 5k, and it drives it just fine.
Hmm. The balanced out on the Sony is the same as the unbalanced out on that 5k which is 2 vrms. That tiny DAC is quite powerful. So balanced out on the Sony would have the same power as you're getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back