Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
May 27, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,306 of 3,155
Been running the M9 with a newly bought ifi hip dac, it opened up the airiness of the stage while it colored the overall sound slightly warmer, I could feel the weight and breath of each note slightly better during casual listening sessions.

On a side note, are there any recommendations for eartips with deeper insert than the stock sony tips? I found myself fiddling the IEMs on my ears way too often.

May 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #1,307 of 3,155
Been running the M9 with a newly bought ifi hip dac, it opened up the airiness of the stage while it colored the overall sound slightly warmer, I could feel the weight and breath of each note slightly better during casual listening sessions.

On a side note, are there any recommendations for eartips with deeper insert than the stock sony tips? I found myself fiddling the IEMs on my ears way too often.

Tried going larger? Otherwise perhaps spinfit, haven't used w/ m9 but they work pretty well with z1r, bore diameter is similar, slightly larger I think.

May 27, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #1,308 of 3,155
Hi all!

While my pair of M9 is arriving any day now and I still haven't any idea how it actually sounds, I've been meaning to ask you about possible pairings with DAC/amps suited for portability. The idea is that I'll be using the Mojo for reference listening (and maybe even the Phonitor), but I'd like to have something on the cheap side to pair with my iPhone 12 on the go. Main use scenario is streaming from Qobuz, which I'd expect will be more straightforward coming from the phone itself rather than a DAP that's connected to the phone.

Possible candidates that fit the bill / budget are: on one side the FiiO Q3 which I can stack against the phone quite conveniently (I used to have an A3 and it worked like a charm), and on the other side all of the current crop of dongles such as the Luxury & Precision W2, the EarMen Sparrow, the Lotoo PAW S1, etc. The iFi Hip-Dac is also an option although I'm not particularly fond of the brand's house sound.

If you feel that all of these are a let down against the potential of the M9 please feel free to say so.

#Edit: Leaning towards Q3 for the sheer reason it carries its own battery (duh). But sonics obviously do play a part, so feel free to share impressions / ideas. Also tempted by the ZX-507, but that's a different ballgame and I already have the Mojo.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #1,310 of 3,155
thinking of purchasing a pair for bluetooth listening on the go. Would the mmcx connector fit into a Fiio utws3 bluetooth TWS adapter? since the mmcx of the m9 is slightly recessed. Thank you

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #1,313 of 3,155
Just got an M9 and an M7. Looking forward to the A/B.

Have any of you made comparisons?
Very cool opportunity you have there. I would say very few in here have owned both or even spent any real time with both. I've not heard the M7 myself.

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,316 of 3,155
Parcel received. First and foremost, the M9 fit like a glove, I'm surprised! Also, they are surprisingly small. Ergonomics are perfect, never had an IEM that fitted my ears perfectly right away. Seal is unexpectedly phenomenal, and I'm saying that having owned several Etymotics.

Detail retrieval is also phenomenal, tonality is just a smidge on the dark side but definitely a monitor experience. Excellent depth cues, image is a bit on the narrow side and around the head but exceptionally defined on well-mastered recordings. Unfortunately this works vice-versa: compressed recordings that are intended/suited for mass-consumption will sound like it; for example Sara Bareilles' musically exceptional Little Voice OST (Apple TV+) or Lianne La Havas' Lianne La Havas (Warner) will sound somewhat poor sonically, whereas carefully recorded and mastered productions such as Vivaldi's Agrippo (Europa Galante; Naïve) or Hadouk Trio's Air Hadouk (again Naïve; apologies if I'm coming off as the label's fanboy!) come off as a night and day difference. Smack in the middle, with legacy recordings such as Charles Mingus' Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (Impulse!) the M9 will reveal all the spatial information coming from the mic positioning and mixing from back in the day, while something similar applies to the documentary-grade 1950 live recording of George Gershwin's Porgy and Bess in Berlin (audite Musikproduktion; William Warfield; Leontyne Price) where you get first seat in what seems to be an almost impromptu documentation of an exceptional performance, burdened with all the limitations of the means available within the circumstances of that time.

I decided to buy into the M9 in order to graduate from my mid-tier IEMs so I can't really tell how the Sony fares against other IEMs at its price point, with the exception of the Meze Rai Penta which I had the opportunity to audition and review on a Head-Fi tour. Meze ultimately came off as quirky to my ears, to say the least, whereas the Sony M9 just performs confidently at every level.

On the quibbles side the Sony M9 doesn't slam or rumble like a DD, but bass and rumble are there when you need them albeit comparably subdued and maybe even somewhat congested. That being said, I think I can now imagine how the Sony Z1r might be more impressive against the M9. Attack and decay are on the natural side, albeit still somewhat BA tight. I'm willing to bet that the whole thing will sound even tighter on balanced connection; unfortunately all I have to go on right now is my Mojo. I'm also betting the M9 will scale when I put them on my Phonitor X (oddly enough, the studio-pedigree beast can handle IEMs quite aptly!). Tempted to spend a few extra € to get me a FiiO Q3 on the cheap so that I can take advantage of my iPhone when listening on the go. Also tempted to match the Phonitor X with my friend's Pontus II and see what the M9 can really do. The Pontus II is an analytical gem of a DAC so it should match the technical ability of the Sonys to the extreme.

These are all first impressions so take them with a grain of salt, but I don't feel that much will change over the foreseeable future. The longer my brain tunes in with the sound signature of the M9, the more revealing the M9 gets in terms of its sheer capacity to render the musical scene with the dexterity of a seasoned professional monitor —as it actually argues to be. Definitely more of a studio grade rendering, but I can confidently say right from the start that it's a very good one...

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,317 of 3,155
So I recently bought my third IER-M9 (sold the previous two and regretted it both times lol) and the dealer, Addicted to Audio here in Australia, said that they were now fully sold out and won’t be getting anymore stock :frowning2:

I wonder if they are getting discontinued? Or maybe this is just the end of the super cheap Australian IER-M9’s! I hope neither are the case.

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #1,318 of 3,155
So I recently bought my third IER-M9 (sold the previous two and regretted it both times lol) and the dealer, Addicted to Audio here in Australia, said that they were now fully sold out and won’t be getting anymore stock :frowning2:

I wonder if they are getting discontinued? Or maybe this is just the end of the super cheap Australian IER-M9’s! I hope neither are the case.

Well. On Sony's Japan web page. There's a teaser for headphones related announcement coming on 9th of June.

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,320 of 3,155
Well. On Sony's Japan web page. There's a teaser for headphones related announcement coming on 9th of June.
Talk about coming late to the party!... 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back