Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Mar 13, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,186 of 3,155
Thanks again! That once again falls right in line with my (somewhat limited) experiences. Crin’s work has been a huge help to my own journey, but as I have moved up to higher tier IEMs I started to notice more differences between his ratings and my preferences.

Monarch and Clairvoyance seem to be very good options at their price point.

I can’t help but think that the M9 is somewhat underrated, and Sony’s marketing is holding it back. Inconsistent pricing and scarce availability don’t really help. I think Sony could sell a lot if it would be available consistently at a stable $900-1000 everywhere.
At the occasional A2A discount of $700 it is a steal...

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #1,187 of 3,155
I don’t often keep review units, so this comparison was done from memory! In your 3DT description, from your note of an upward sloping plane, it almost sounds like instruments “float” more? Or is it more closely the center image as a whole being pushed upwards? I don't think instruments on the SA6 float or anything of the sort; the soundstage also sounded fairly 2-dimensional to me. As I define layering - or separation - it's the quantity of space between instruments on the stage. Sorry, I might be misunderstanding what you're saying!
Yes, you got that right, it's like the instruments float more, whereas on DM8 the instruments are arranged more 3 dimensionally, the stage extending more backwards than upwards - like, I can feel one sound is coming from behind another instrument's sound clearly. On 3DT the stage extends more upwards than backwards, I can feel one instrument is in front and another is slightly behind, but on a more elevated place. The separation in Y axis is greater than the separation in Z axis. I hope I am being clear, trying my best to describe how it is getting played inside my head :smile_phones:

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #1,189 of 3,155
Unpopular opinion: I like the Sony cable winder. I just wrap the cable around 4 fingers slide it through the magnetic cable tie (drivers sticking out the bottom) and then lock them in facing outwards. When I am on my daily commute I just pull them out the box and pop in my shirt pocket all nicely wound, if not in my ears.

Question: do you think there was an intentional practical purpose for the little tabs with L & R markings or is this just for aesthetics?

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #1,190 of 3,155
M7 can sound harsh to my sensitive ears with the wrong music. Not saying that M7 is a bright earphone. In fact M7 is IMO as neural as IEM can be, kinda like the DT880 of IEM if you know what I mean. It's more of a problem with my ears and my music.

I could swear I saw people here say that M9 has more bass and more treble, hence more V-shaped than M7. Are you saying that M9 has more extra treble than it has extra bass, or are you saying that M9 only has extra treble, that the low-ends are identical?

Ok I get to spend some time with M9 and M7 side by side, with the same cable (Nobunaga Labs Supreme) and same eartip (Final E black).

Bottom line: M9 is far superior to M7 in terms of imaging and soundstage. Well worth the price premium in my opinion.
Both are tuned to be neutral (in my opinion), but M9 is less veiled. M7 has a slight treble glare that makes things sound metallic; M9 does not have that. M9 has a deep soundstage; M7 sounds hazy in comparison. With the improved imaging, Sony seems to have the confidence to add more subbass to M9 than to M7; to me this is the only difference in tuning.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #1,191 of 3,155
Unpopular opinion: I like the Sony cable winder. I just wrap the cable around 4 fingers slide it through the magnetic cable tie (drivers sticking out the bottom) and then lock them in facing outwards. When I am on my daily commute I just pull them out the box and pop in my shirt pocket all nicely wound, if not in my ears.

Question: do you think there was an intentional practical purpose for the little tabs with L & R markings or is this just for aesthetics?
I also like the case that comes with the M9. A little more effort to store them but good to know that they are perfectly protected.

I think the tabs are designed to improve fit and match the inner contour of the ear.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #1,195 of 3,155

I think it's these tabs made it better to position them to your ear, that's my impression with the M7 since it fits so well on my ear compare to previous IEMs I've worn

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #1,197 of 3,155
What tips you guys use with ier m9?
I'm still using ortofon tips and final since i cant fit spiral dot both m and ms size :frowning2:
Did you try spiral dot ++? It fits better than normal version

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,199 of 3,155
Where do you find it? I live in VN too so if you have another spare ones, i can buy them :D
I live in VN too bro :)), inbox me

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,200 of 3,155
What tips you guys use with ier m9?
I'm still using ortofon tips and final since i cant fit spiral dot both m and ms size :frowning2:
I’ve been tip rolling a ton. Went from Sony hybrid small to Final Small to Sony hybrid small/medium and now on Sony hybrid medium. The lack of vent makes me pretty finicky about seal. Though I noticed minor seal isn’t too big a deal and I get annoyed by unbalanced seal in either ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back