Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Mar 17, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,201 of 3,155
I went through several before landing on a solution I'm very happy with, that being stock tips from a DUNU set. They are a firmer silicone, thicker/more rigid and with a deeper gap puts more distance from the IEM to ear canal - this allows me wear an L (edit - checked again, actually M) but without suction and I suspect that bit of a gap widens soundstage... its certainly the best I've heard them by a long way. Unfortunately DUNU don't sell them separately as yet, apparently you can't get via a support ticket but they do plan to sell at some point.

20210309_123448.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 17, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #1,202 of 3,155
As I'm only coming up to the end of my 2nd week with my M9, I'm allowed in this honeymoon phase to have posts of gushing praise :)

I was out walking this afternoon and it was a very pleasant spring day - sun shining and sufficiently mild to wear a light top and jeans. Had to debate best method to hook up the M9 and decided to run the cable under my top and into my Sony ZX507 in my jeans pocket - I used the clip to attach to the neck of my top. Barely knew it was there, so light and zero microphonics and during an almost 60 min walk, only had to push them in a fraction about 30 mins in. Any other IEM to date I've been quite frustrated and had to adjust cable positioning, fix in my ears etc, all of course to the detriment of my listening pleasure - in this case, I could simply soak up the incredible sound and enjoy my walk... no doubt with a smile on my face.

This is one of the many reasons why it has been so worth it to invest more in my IEMs. I actually ended the walk pondering whether my next set might be a backup M9!!!

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,203 of 3,155
As I'm only coming up to the end of my 2nd week with my M9, I'm allowed in this honeymoon phase to have posts of gushing praise :)

I was out walking this afternoon and it was a very pleasant spring day - sun shining and sufficiently mild to wear a light top and jeans. Had to debate best method to hook up the M9 and decided to run the cable under my top and into my Sony ZX507 in my jeans pocket - I used the clip to attach to the neck of my top. Barely knew it was there, so light and zero microphonics and during an almost 60 min walk, only had to push them in a fraction about 30 mins in. Any other IEM to date I've been quite frustrated and had to adjust cable positioning, fix in my ears etc, all of course to the detriment of my listening pleasure - in this case, I could simply soak up the incredible sound and enjoy my walk... no doubt with a smile on my face.

This is one of the many reasons why it has been so worth it to invest more in my IEMs. I actually ended the walk pondering whether my next set might be a backup M9!!!
I saw in your profile, you also get SA6. Would you like to briefly comparing these two sets? Thanks

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #1,205 of 3,155
Hi guys, does anyone know how durable of M9 housing? (The matte and text). Can sweat damage it?

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #1,206 of 3,155
Mar 18, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,207 of 3,155
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,208 of 3,155

The video to the written review linked above. Nice review and comparison! Even though it’s a pretty short video I think it describes the M9 better than any other YT review I have seen.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,211 of 3,155
I got a pair of these and am very much enjoying them. They are super cohesive and have less BA timbre than most BAs, which I appreciate.

One weird question. The cable jack came with the gold looking partially rubbed off, revealing silver color metal underneath. This was a new pair. Is that normal?

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #1,212 of 3,155
I got a pair of these and am very much enjoying them. They are super cohesive and have less BA timbre than most BAs, which I appreciate.

One weird question. The cable jack came with the gold looking partially rubbed off, revealing silver color metal underneath. This was a new pair. Is that normal?
I noticed this too. Seems to happen with most cables in my experience but does 'take the shine' off the new gadget.

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #1,213 of 3,155
I noticed this too. Seems to happen with most cables in my experience but does 'take the shine' off the new gadget.

They came like that new, so I was concerned maybe I had gotten a used or counterfeit pair. The sound is too good to be counterfeit though, and they were plastic sealed.

I found these need a lot of juice to sound dynamic and not too soft. They are also very sensitive to tip choice. Wider bore tilts tonality towards the highs, narrow bore to the lows. Short and long tips have the same affect respectively. I've found that the include short tip hybrids are the best for me.

Once dialed in - correct eartips and enough juice - these do very little wrong for me. Well balanced, coherent and with less nasty BA timbre than anything else I've heard so far.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,215 of 3,155
I couldn’t resist the A2A sale price and bought another IER-M9 :)

AUD $899 feels like a total steal for these brilliant IEM’s. Looking forward to hearing them again after many months!
I saw that and almost jumped on it. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back