Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Apr 2, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,220 of 3,155
I don’t think they do, unfortunately :frowning2:
Unfortunately that's correct. And the Australian post service has severe shipping restriction due to Covid.
I had someone post the M9 box to me in July 2020 and it was returned to sender due to Covid restrictions. Still waiting for the shipping ban to Europe being lifted...
Luckily I had someone handcarry the IEM on a trip to EU!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #1,221 of 3,155
Unfortunately that's correct. And the Australian post service has severe shipping restriction due to Covid.
I had someone post the M9 box to me in July 2020 and it was returned to sender due to Covid restrictions. Still waiting for the shipping ban to Europe being lifted...
Luckily I had someone handcarry the IEM on a trip to EU!
This is true. I recently sold something here on the classifieds and tried to ship it to Europe via Australia Post, but it got cancelled and returned to me due to the restrictions. The only option was DHL but it would’ve cost $250! 😡

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,222 of 3,155
I've ordered two cases from Minidisc and they shipped fine to me here in Dublin, both around 2-3 weeks which isn't bad considering. I made contact with them and they said they can ship certain products outside Australia but not all. Maybe ATU might do the same?

BTW, I went standard post for the cases but there was an Express option too for a more expensive item that I didn't go ahead with

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #1,223 of 3,155
I've ordered two cases from Minidisc and they shipped fine to me here in Dublin, both around 2-3 weeks which isn't bad considering. I made contact with them and they said they can ship certain products outside Australia but not all. Maybe ATU might do the same?

BTW, I went standard post for the cases but there was an Express option too for a more expensive item that I didn't go ahead with
Oh that’s good news! Well, hopefully A2A can help out some potential M9 buyers score this great deal :)

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,224 of 3,155
Whoa - that's a screaming deal!

I would find a way to do that, if available in the US at that price....

I couldn’t resist the A2A sale price and bought another IER-M9 :)

AUD $899 feels like a total steal for these brilliant IEM’s. Looking forward to hearing them again after many months!

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #1,225 of 3,155
So what do y'all hope/expect from the M9 successor (M9m2)? Do you think Sony will do a followup to the M9? I wonder if they've sold as well as Sony expected.....Hell I wonder if Sonys' pro audio division is even profitable or if its one of the divisions that's dragging them down.

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #1,226 of 3,155
The M9 is all I need. It's the perfect iem tuning to my ear. I've heard so many iem and there was always some niggle i had with.

Tia Trio - the weird lower mids scoop

Legend X - hated the over emphasized bass

Valkyrie - The 4k overshoot was too much

U12T - Was stunning but didn't have the treble that wowed me

Z1R - Couldn't get a good fit

ER4/2 - Awesome but its mids are a tiny bit too forward for me

Noble Khan - treble lacked extension amongst other things

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #1,227 of 3,155
Been flirting with me M9 for some time now, my other alternative are the InEar PP8 and Stagedriver 5 but I found a good deal on the M9 and I’m almost ready to jump onboard. I was wondering though whether anyone has compared these (not to my knowledge) and can share impressions. I’m also a bit baffled why the M9 seem to fail to gain traction with the community; for example, this thread’s got like 80 pages whereas more popular comparable IEMs have substantially more. As I’m going blind here, any opinions would be much appreciated !

Apr 13, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #1,228 of 3,155
Been flirting with me M9 for some time now, my other alternative are the InEar PP8 and Stagedriver 5 but I found a good deal on the M9 and I’m almost ready to jump onboard. I was wondering though whether anyone has compared these (not to my knowledge) and can share impressions. I’m also a bit baffled why the M9 seem to fail to gain traction with the community; for example, this thread’s got like 80 pages whereas more popular comparable IEMs have substantially more. As I’m going blind here, any opinions would be much appreciated !

My personal take is, the Z1R took the spotlight, which caused the M9 to fly under the radar. The M9 may also suffer from being too good. It's not offensive or claims anything other being as Sony called it " The sound for artists "

It's an outstanding iem. The best treble in an iem I've ever had. It's positional ability is exceptional, Great soundstage.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #1,229 of 3,155
I think there are other aspects as well.
Yes, the Z1R is a much more awe-inspiring IEM, you listen to it and it immediately WOWs you.
The M9 doesn't have that Wow-effect IMO. It is exceptional in it's coherence, imaging, non-BA timbre with super clean yet detailed mids, good bass for a BA, great treble extension and sparkle, etc. cc
The M9 is really comfortable, small, and you can listen to it for hours.
But as so many have said before, if you are looking for an energetic and dynamic IEM, the M9 is not it.
That may contribute to the lower profile in the markte, and also availability is an issue. Come on, you can't even officially buy it in the EU!?
Pricing is also quite inconsistent, which doesn't help IMO. $1500 list price and every once in a while on sale in Australia for $700?

I think precogvision did a really good job at describing the strengths and weaknesses of the M9 in his kilobuck IEM shootout.
It's a great IEM, a quite unique IEM, but if it's the right one will depend on what someone is looking for.

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,230 of 3,155
Actually, I am curious about how the new Softears RSV comparing to M9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back