Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Mar 6, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,156 of 3,201
Now that I've a few hours play, I can understand the need for tips experimentation. With my more usual L, I get a great fit and sound incredible but I am getting that suction problem. Drop to the size below and fit not as good, need to keep trying the insertion techniques previously described. Love them though, a teething challenge I'll certainly overcome.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,157 of 3,201
Update, two sizes down and with a bit of twisting, getting a good fit and sound great - suction gone away, that's very uncomfortable after a while. The best results from a brief test is with the Spirals. Plan to dig out my Final E tips later and also try some of stock tips from my DUNUs.

Is there an art to using the supplied case?! It's nice but doesn't seem very practical.

I love my other IEMs still but this is clearly a step up and money well spent. Plus they match my new ZX507 Dignis case which arrived today 😍

20210306_095712.jpg

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,158 of 3,201
06E7DFB8-ADE0-4DBC-AD70-126485727BCE.jpeg
Both MS size: right - (SF), left - (++). Some people here in Japan do complain about the size difference between the two models. The SF is somewhat smaller. Though I find the SF very comfortable, some may argue the SF fit is very loose or it doesn't even fit them at all. SF can be inserted as deep as ++ but regarding isolation/seal, it very much depends on your ears due to that minor difference in size between them. :)
Do you have a link to buy the SF model?

Mar 6, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #1,159 of 3,201
Update, two sizes down and with a bit of twisting, getting a good fit and sound great - suction gone away, that's very uncomfortable after a while. The best results from a brief test is with the Spirals. Plan to dig out my Final E tips later and also try some of stock tips from my DUNUs.

Is there an art to using the supplied case?! It's nice but doesn't seem very practical.

I love my other IEMs still but this is clearly a step up and money well spent. Plus they match my new ZX507 Dignis case which arrived today 😍

20210306_095712.jpg
I'd also recommend messing around with the short and long tips as well as the comforts if you haven't already. I found that the diameters for the comforts vs the hybrids is slightly different if barely. Additional the long vs short definitely do affect how deep you can shove them into your ear which helps with seal a bit.

The case is a bit interesting... I definitely found it helps to have nothing in the case (I used to store the clip in it) and make sure your IEMs are pointing downward when you shove the cable into the loop. That way you can wrap the earloops up along the back of the loop and slide the IEMs downward. The included instructions demonstrate this wayyyy better and I'm sure you'll get the hang of the orientation after a couple tries!

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #1,160 of 3,201
I'd also recommend messing around with the short and long tips as well as the comforts if you haven't already. I found that the diameters for the comforts vs the hybrids is slightly different if barely. Additional the long vs short definitely do affect how deep you can shove them into your ear which helps with seal a bit.

The case is a bit interesting... I definitely found it helps to have nothing in the case (I used to store the clip in it) and make sure your IEMs are pointing downward when you shove the cable into the loop. That way you can wrap the earloops up along the back of the loop and slide the IEMs downward. The included instructions demonstrate this wayyyy better and I'm sure you'll get the hang of the orientation after a couple tries!

I've only actually been using the hybrids from the stock tips, I figured the comforts might add too much warmth - I must give them a shot. The Spiral is working very nicely for me, I'll give them tonight/tomorrow and try some more.

Surprised also at how power hungry they are, I'm up at 75/120 on my Sony DAPs - a good 10-15 more than on any other IEM I own.

Thanks for the description on storing, I didn't even read the instructions as didn't think they'd cover how to use it! I should really do that :) They feel too precious to leave sitting anywhere when not in use, I want them safe in a case!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #1,161 of 3,201
Do you have a link to buy the SF model?
There's one on Ebay though they only have M - ML - L size available and the given price is unacceptably expensive. I did do some searches around but seems hard to find the SF anywhere else except Japan.

I ordered mine on Amazon.jp. Most online shopping sites and stores in Japan (Yodobashi, E-earphone, bic camera, amazon jp, rakuten, joshinweb) always have the SF and most of JVC eartips in stock. Price around $14 for the SF.

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,162 of 3,201
Question to people who got both M7 and M9: If I find the M7 too bright (5kHz+), is it worth trying out M9? I heard M9 has more treble, but has more bass too. I am wondering, considering the entire frequency range, which of the two is brighter. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #1,163 of 3,201
Question to people who got both M7 and M9: If I find the M7 too bright (5kHz+), is it worth trying out M9? I heard M9 has more treble, but has more bass too. I am wondering, considering the entire frequency range, which of the two is brighter. Thanks.
Yes, the M9 is brighter than M7 but the brighter part is treble extension. To my ears the M7 never sounds too harsh or bright. The super tweeter in the M9 adds air or headroom to the overall sound, and adds textures and timbre to instruments (for example you can clearly hear and pick out different bass lines from different bass instruments in a song). The M7 overall sounds smoother and more relaxing since it doesn't have the super tweeter but I know many people prefer M7's warm vocal sound to the M9's.

I have done A/B testing between the two models and I can confirm that M7 is tuned to deliver MORE bass than the M9 (M7 bass is very very DD-like). No doubt the M7 has its own fan. Hate to say this though I love the M9 very much, but switching from M9 to M7, the M7, for half the price of its brother, is more worth its price than the M9. It has nearly all characteristics of the M9. If you're on budget, M7 go for it!

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #1,164 of 3,201
I am sure that it is my end-game combo. I really really love the sound of M9, I have ordered Final Type E and Spiral Dot ++ to try on M9, hope that it will surprise me again.

Attachments

• 08DDFBE6-5620-4C06-9983-ED4ED2602598.jpeg
    08DDFBE6-5620-4C06-9983-ED4ED2602598.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 8, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #1,165 of 3,201
Yes, the M9 is brighter than M7 but the brighter part is treble extension. To my ears the M7 never sounds too harsh or bright. The super tweeter in the M9 adds air or headroom to the overall sound, and adds textures and timbre to instruments (for example you can clearly hear and pick out different bass lines from different bass instruments in a song). The M7 overall sounds smoother and more relaxing since it doesn't have the super tweeter but I know many people prefer M7's warm vocal sound to the M9's.

I have done A/B testing between the two models and I can confirm that M7 is tuned to deliver MORE bass than the M9 (M7 bass is very very DD-like). No doubt the M7 has its own fan. Hate to say this though I love the M9 very much, but switching from M9 to M7, the M7, for half the price of its brother, is more worth its price than the M9. It has nearly all characteristics of the M9. If you're on budget, M7 go for it!
M7 can sound harsh to my sensitive ears with the wrong music. Not saying that M7 is a bright earphone. In fact M7 is IMO as neural as IEM can be, kinda like the DT880 of IEM if you know what I mean. It's more of a problem with my ears and my music.

I could swear I saw people here say that M9 has more bass and more treble, hence more V-shaped than M7. Are you saying that M9 has more extra treble than it has extra bass, or are you saying that M9 only has extra treble, that the low-ends are identical?

Mar 8, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #1,166 of 3,201
M7 can sound harsh to my sensitive ears with the wrong music. Not saying that M7 is a bright earphone. In fact M7 is IMO as neural as IEM can be, kinda like the DT880 of IEM if you know what I mean. It's more of a problem with my ears and my music.

I could swear I saw people here say that M9 has more bass and more treble, hence more V-shaped than M7. Are you saying that M9 has more extra treble than it has extra bass, or are you saying that M9 only has extra treble, that the low-ends are identical?
0C51BF46-20F3-4FF0-930C-873731FE5199.jpeg

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #1,167 of 3,201

I'm pretty sure the low-ends are NOT identical, at least with my M7 and M9. I don't do measurements and graphs. With same source (WM1A), same volume (60/120 high gain), same eartips (JVC Spiral Dot++), M7 has more bass and less treble compared to the M9 (M9 is more neutral - you can make M9 sound warmer if you equip it with smaller bore eartips like Sony Hybrid while larger bore eartips like JVC weaken the bass rumble). I did doubt myself since I thought perhaps it's the super tweeter making M9 sound like it had less bass than the M7 and perhaps the bass regions of both models were the same. NO, my M7 is definitely warmer than the M9 overall.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #1,168 of 3,201
I am sure that it is my end-game combo. I really really love the sound of M9, I have ordered Final Type E and Spiral Dot ++ to try on M9, hope that it will surprise me again.
Looking good!
What cable is this? ALO silver litz? How does it sound?
I tried the M9 with my braided DIY pure silver Teflon cable and preferred the cable from the IER-Z1R.
The silver cable was a little harsh in comparison where the Z1R cable brings just the perfect balance of detail and smoothness.
(I did not compare the Z1R cable against the original M9 cable. Long story, my M9´s box, cables and tips are still in Australia due to Covid....)

Regarding tips the Final Audio type E is perfect IMO, the only downside is that it's a little less comfortable than the Sony Hybrids.
But soundwise its spot on, bringing out upper mids a bit better, opening up the soundstage and preserving the bass performance, maybe making it even a little cleaner.

Pairs beautifully with the Hugo 2...

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #1,169 of 3,201
Looking good!
What cable is this? ALO silver litz? How does it sound?
I tried the M9 with my braided DIY pure silver Teflon cable and preferred the cable from the IER-Z1R.
The silver cable was a little harsh in comparison where the Z1R cable brings just the perfect balance of detail and smoothness.
(I did not compare the Z1R cable against the original M9 cable. Long story, my M9´s box, cables and tips are still in Australia due to Covid....)

Regarding tips the Final Audio type E is perfect IMO, the only downside is that it's a little less comfortable than the Sony Hybrids.
But soundwise its spot on, bringing out upper mids a bit better, opening up the soundstage and preserving the bass performance, maybe making it even a little cleaner.

Pairs beautifully with the Hugo 2...
it is the stock cable from Fiio FD5, it is silver-plated copper cable and features interchangeable audio plugs for 2.5mm/3.5mm/4.4mm. Pros: sound is wider (depth is the same as stock cable) and has some more clarity, cons: it is 8 strands so it is uncomfortable like stock cable and I think it will discolour after a period of use

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,170 of 3,201
I have never spent so much time rotating tips as with the M9! I thought the Spiral was the best solution but not pairing as well with some music on my NW-WM1A, it does suit the ZX507 though due to the warmer signature, even with custom firmware on the 1A. I've now landed on the grey tips that come with the DUNU ZEN - they are firmer than the Sony hybrids or Final E Tips and using my more typical L size, they give a great seal and as yet no suction...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back