Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Feb 27, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,126 of 3,229
Also keep in mind that I personally have to remove both IEMs and clean off the sweat or earwax or whatever the moisture is that gets coated on the ear tips and inside my ear after about an hour of use. As the moisture gets built up on the ear tips and inside my ears it starts to adversely affect the sound. But one I dry off my tips and ear canals it's back to sounding great. This may not be a problem for everyone, maybe my ears just produce a ton of wet wax, but something to keep in mind. The change in sound is dramatic once everything gets wet in there.

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,127 of 3,229
Also keep in mind that I personally have to remove both IEMs and clean off the sweat or earwax or whatever the moisture is that gets coated on the ear tips and inside my ear after about an hour of use. As the moisture gets built up on the ear tips and inside my ears it starts to adversely affect the sound. But one I dry off my tips and ear canals it's back to sounding great. This may not be a problem for everyone, maybe my ears just produce a ton of wet wax, but something to keep in mind. The change in sound is dramatic once everything gets wet in there.
Do you have that problem with other IEMs as well? Haven't run into that problem personally. Though my ear wax is pretty dry and canals only get wet after showering.

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #1,129 of 3,229
Hi guys, I want to change cable on IER M9, I know that sony use MMCX with some differences so will there be some kind of MMCX cant be used ? My source I am using is AK SE100 with DDHIFI DJ44B (4.4 F to 2.5 M), I love current combo but want to get more soundtage and clarity so which material of cables I should consider? Thank you!

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,130 of 3,229
Hi guys, I want to change cable on IER M9, I know that sony use MMCX with some differences so will there be some kind of MMCX cant be used ? My source I am using is AK SE100 with DDHIFI DJ44B (4.4 F to 2.5 M), I love current combo but want to get more soundtage and clarity so which material of cables I should consider? Thank you!

Tried using wide bore tips?

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #1,131 of 3,229
Tried using wide bore tips?
I tried ortofon, xelastec and jvc spiral dot (not ++) yesterday and after 3 hours I saw that they make bass worse so I come back to sony hybrid tips.

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,132 of 3,229
After months of debate, I've finally pulled the trigger on the IER-M9 - no matter what I do, my curiosity keeps dragging me back! Ordered last night and very much look forward to hearing them - it'll be interesting to hear how they compare to my only other all BA, DUNU SA6.

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,133 of 3,229
After months of debate, I've finally pulled the trigger on the IER-M9 - no matter what I do, my curiosity keeps dragging me back! Ordered last night and very much look forward to hearing them - it'll be interesting to hear how they compare to my only other all BA, DUNU SA6.
Congrats on your purchase! I haven't heard any of the other IEMs in your signature, though I think you'll be pleased :)

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,134 of 3,229
Congrats on your purchase! I haven't heard any of the other IEMs in your signature, though I think you'll be pleased :)

Thank you! Yes I've read nothing but good reports, maybe the occasional comment to suggest bass being lacking but equally, some comments say bass not far off DD. I really enjoy the SA6 bass anyway and can't see it being an issue on the M9. May not be a massive step up on SA6 but I'll find out soon.

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,135 of 3,229
I have tried stock cable of Fiio FD5 (with changable jack), it perfectly fits, easy to plug and remove. I will test sound on tomorrow

Attachments

• 49B83382-8148-45D2-A0E3-375362AA6991.jpeg
    49B83382-8148-45D2-A0E3-375362AA6991.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,136 of 3,229
One session of my listening usually lasts for around 1-2 hours. The thing is I noticed my right ear got irritated, just after 15 minutes listening, and I had to remove it several times during the session. And yes, the soundstage issue as well. now and then it seems like vocalist doesn't stay at the center of the mix and she leans toward the left, which makes me feel like I could hear things more clearly with my left ear whereas the right one was kinda overstuffed with rubber, resulting in detail loss :)
Fit matters! I ended up settling on S on left and M on my right. I did try MS for a while, though the M sealed a little better which helped make the seal on the left feel less noticeable. There definitely is a shift in sound to the left, though I cant tell a difference between the M and the MS. I did get better results with the same size using the triple comforts but I'm afraid I wont be able to source a replacement when they fall apart.
My canals are assymetrical too and I found the 'long' and 'short' versions of the Sony hybrid tips help to keep an equal insertion depth and fit.
I wondered about that too. I wish sony would give us full measurements as I wonder how they vary the stem length between sizes. How did you match them?
Thank you! Yes I've read nothing but good reports, maybe the occasional comment to suggest bass being lacking but equally, some comments say bass not far off DD. I really enjoy the SA6 bass anyway and can't see it being an issue on the M9. May not be a massive step up on SA6 but I'll find out soon.
I do think it feels more thumpy then punchy. However I also haven't listened to any high end DD earphones (nothing above $50 chifi). I look forward to reading your impressions!
I have tried stock cable of Fiio FD5 (with changable jack), it perfectly fits, easy to plug and remove. I will test sound on tomorrow
How do you find the M9 compares to the FD5? I quite like the sound of the FD1 with bassy tips and don't have any gripes with it. However I'm curious to hear how the higher end single DD earphones sound.

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #1,137 of 3,229
Fit matters! I ended up settling on S on left and M on my right. I did try MS for a while, though the M sealed a little better which helped make the seal on the left feel less noticeable. There definitely is a shift in sound to the left, though I cant tell a difference between the M and the MS. I did get better results with the same size using the triple comforts but I'm afraid I wont be able to source a replacement when they fall apart.

I wondered about that too. I wish sony would give us full measurements as I wonder how they vary the stem length between sizes. How did you match them?

I do think it feels more thumpy then punchy. However I also haven't listened to any high end DD earphones (nothing above $50 chifi). I look forward to reading your impressions!

How do you find the M9 compares to the FD5? I quite like the sound of the FD1 with bassy tips and don't have any gripes with it. However I'm curious to hear how the higher end single DD earphones sound.

The DUNU ZEN is an incredible single DD IEM, love it - but it can be fussy with some genres or not great/older recordings... it really shines with hi-res. The SA6 is a great all rounder and really got me curious again on what a higher end all BA might sound like, hence grabbing the M9... apparently not a major difference in them technically so I might not find much of a difference! I guess I can always sell one or the other in that case.

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #1,138 of 3,229

FD5 is more fun than M9 because it is tunned with V-Shape, I dont know why but FD5 is 32 Ohm with 109DB does not need too much volume like M9 (20 Ohm with 103DB), on my SE100 FD5 can be easily drove with 33% volume and with M9 I need to set 43% volume.
Sound on FD5 has the characteristics of single DD likes energy, smooth. When I compare to M9, M9 has the sound more balanced, clear and soundtage is also deeper and wider. If someone just joined in audio, FD5 will be a best choice because it is, fun, energy and easy to hear

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #1,139 of 3,229

The shift in sound only happened when I jammed the MS into both ears since my right ear couldn't breathe after a short while and it made a signal to me. the sound imbalance should go away and the soundstage issue should be resolved too when you get proper fit for both ears. Now my right ear can feel as much air and space as the left one (left-MS, right-S).

Just want to correct what i said earlier if there is any confusion or misunderstanding :)

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #1,140 of 3,229
Do you have that problem with other IEMs as well? Haven't run into that problem personally. Though my ear wax is pretty dry and canals only get wet after showering.
Yeah I do. Although the M9 is especially affected by the change in fitment the moisture causes. So with the M9 I'm especially quick to pull them out and wipe them off once it starts building up. My Miles Davis Trumpet IEMs don't seem to cause as much moisture build up for me and aren't as affected by it either. Most IEMs do this to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back