Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #136 of 3,155
I’ve had to take a break from my M9s. Lately my ears have not been agreeing with IEMs. Tons of wet wax and just being irritated and even painful ugh. Been enjoying my loudspeakers and cans more (MDR-Z7 and Sendy Aiva).

How often do you IEM guys clean your ears and what methods do you use? I bought this corkscrew thing online, basically an ear auger and it jacked my ears all up. I’ve found that flushing my ears with a bulb syringe works best to get the mess out but that can’t be a healthy thing to do very often.

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #137 of 3,155
I’ve had to take a break from my M9s. Lately my ears have not been agreeing with IEMs. Tons of wet wax and just being irritated and even painful ugh. Been enjoying my loudspeakers and cans more (MDR-Z7 and Sendy Aiva).

How often do you IEM guys clean your ears and what methods do you use? I bought this corkscrew thing online, basically an ear auger and it jacked my ears all up. I’ve found that flushing my ears with a bulb syringe works best to get the mess out but that can’t be a healthy thing to do very often.

Earwax production is a normal occurrence (more is produced as you age) and it's meant to help clean your ears. As long as you're not overdoing it, I doubt it's much of a problem.I have dry wax but I still have to do an alcohol+vinegar (1 part each) flush (basically 20s in my ear) every week or so to mitigate the possibility of otitis externa (you might have this...) especially because I'm currently in a humid environment. Sweat+humidity in a closed environment (ear canal when you have IEMs on) =>bacterial growth => otitis externa (generally starts off with funky smell - just have a sniff of your eartips and you'll know right away). If you feel any pain/soreness in your canal, that's another symptom often attributed as OE. Note: This cannot be regarded as medical advice and I would expect you to seek an expert opinion who can ascertain all variables related to your condition.

For others, if you're getting clogging, could get ear drops which kind of loosens the wax as well (might have to avoid IEMs for a bit).

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #138 of 3,155
What would be some good dac amp combos to pair with the M9?

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #140 of 3,155
hey guys, just received m9 today. Good news, i can see myself ending the iem game very soon with M9.

edit: look at my inventory and past iems, you will be shock on how amazing m9 is if i can end my game with this set

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #142 of 3,155
comparisons against andromeda and kse1200?
Andro vs M9:
In short, M9 wins on everything except u want andros boom bass. Bass on andro can hit harder with lower oi. But to me it is more bloated than a tight bass. Vocals hands down m9 is better. Highs, this department is kinda on par but m9 has better seperation when things get crowded. Both has some good on spatial cues but m9 is better.

KSE vs M9:
Well KSE is electrostatic with detail monster. I mean it. It is really weird to hear KSE sometimes because u almost can hear things that should not be in the tracks. The spatial cues on kse and m9 is almost on par. Really amazing how m9 can do this. Vocals? Im leaning toward m9. M9 has better tonality and emotion on the vocals where as kse is a bit thin ish vocals.

Hope this helps!

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #143 of 3,155
Andro vs M9:
In short, M9 wins on everything except u want andros boom bass. Bass on andro can hit harder with lower oi. But to me it is more bloated than a tight bass.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say the Andros had more of anything concerning bass when compared to the M9. I usually hear people say the opposite.

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #144 of 3,155
I don't think I've ever seen anyone say the Andros had more of anything concerning bass when compared to the M9. I usually hear people say the opposite.
Andro with lower oi is scary bassy and bloat. Try it and believe it.

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #146 of 3,155
Even with an OI of ~ 0.1 Ohm, there is still very little bass compared to the M9 in my opinion.
my ears just hear bloats on andros, so i guess it's damn bassy to me. :/

add: the bass on andro has quite big on midbass and spread all over subbass and its mids. So bloat to my ears. Oh yeah, also i use my about shallow fit, maybe that's the reason? i like this sound though. Not gonna change the fit anytime soon

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #147 of 3,155
What tips are you using with M9 btw? I can't get a proper fit with the TC tips so bass sounds anaemic on the M9 then (like seriously...I don't get what's wrong with my ears lol. I use the L silicone just fine but none of the triple comfort stuff would give me a proper fit at all), but it's a completely different story with the Silicone Hybrids (I'm actually using the IER-Z1R tips so I don't get that weird vacuum effect).

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #148 of 3,155
What tips are you using with M9 btw? I can't get a proper fit with the TC tips so bass sounds anaemic on the M9 then (like seriously...I don't get what's wrong with my ears lol. I use the L silicone just fine but none of the triple comfort stuff would give me a proper fit at all), but it's a completely different story with the Silicone Hybrids (I'm actually using the IER-Z1R tips so I don't get that weird vacuum effect).
currently with M size of hybrid. Thinking of symbio w soon but i have no reason to change it yet since i like this sounds so much. Ive never heard something this perfect to ears/preference by far in iems game.

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #149 of 3,155
It's LL silicone for me. I couldn't get a seal wit the TC tips either. And yeah the SQ will suffer if you insert them in a way which causes a perfect seal vacuum effect. The M9 sound its' absolute best when they can "breathe" a bit in your ear. So while they do need a seal, there's a fine line between too much and too little. It does make the M9 a bit finicky to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back