Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Oct 13, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #1,531 of 3,178
For me, JVC SpiralDot+ tips solved this issue. I haven't even considered another tip since I started using them.

I know I've said this to death in this thread but I'm gonna keep saying it: the M9 performs its best when using as small a tip as possible in order to achieve as deep an insertion as possible. So tips you have that you think are too small may not be too small if you try inserting deeper. A trick I use for insertion is to grab your upper ear cartilage and pull up, while doing this use your free hand to push the M9 deep into your ear. The shell of the IEM should rest in your outer ear.

When I first got my M9 I used the LL silicone tips for nearly a year and struggled with fit and seal the whole time. Only when I started trying smaller tips and deeper insertion did my experience improve. I went from size LL to size MS. And when I moved the SpiralDot+ tips (size medium) the issues disappeared completely.
Just tried SpiralDot++ on M9. I got them with my FDX1 IEM. These tips make M9 sound more engaging, and spacious. Far better tips than the stock ones, SQ wise and even comfort wise. Forward mids, great treble extensions and great bass. Though, nozzle size is bigger than M9, just fits and will stay in ears when you remove earphones, but they provide excellent isolation and sound quality.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,532 of 3,178
Glad to hear it brother. I was very much pleased with them as well. Haven’t even considered another tip since. Not only for the sound but mainly for the way they fit and seal without causing a suction like effect. Just damn good tips all around.

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #1,533 of 3,178
After searching for a new iem to pair with LPGT, I decided to get the M9 due to this thread (I read it all from first page), some reviews and Crinacle's rating.

I debated between Anole VX, U12t or Z1R but I want something different from my owning iems (Ety ER2XR, ER4XR, EVO and Prophile-8). I thought that Anole VX and U12t might not different much from PP8 and I scared the Z1R fitting. So, the warm tone of M9 is really interested me.

A few days after I got M9, I still can't find the perfect tips for me. The best right now is Final Type E, I ordered some new tips and hope it will fit perfectly.

For the sound, the early impression is a mixed bag. The sound is thick, warm with good treble but something not feel right for me. The mid bass is too much for my liking and it overshadowed the sub bass rumble, it make the sub bass nearly non exist. The high is too smooth and dull. Tried the EQ but it ruined the M9 tonally.

Then I remember that I have the silver cable that I not used for a long time. At first song after swapped the cable I found the sound just changed but after a few songs my impression is go through the roof. The SQ is improved dramatically to suit my taste. The mid bass was tamed and bring the sub bass out of the shadow. The high is now crisp and clear, no more smooth and dull. Overall tonally is thinner than before but everything feel more balanced with a tiny bit of mid bass boost.

I confident to call the M9 is one of the TOTL iem, for me it on par with PP8. It is a true hidden gem that might not look so shiny. However, with some polishing it can shine brightly.

Attachments

• DSC_1212.JPG
    DSC_1212.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 17, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #1,534 of 3,178
After searching for a new iem to pair with LPGT, I decided to get the M9 due to this thread (I read it all from first page), some reviews and Crinacle's rating.

I debated between Anole VX, U12t or Z1R but I want something different from my owning iems (Ety ER2XR, ER4XR, EVO and Prophile-8). I thought that Anole VX and U12t might not different much from PP8 and I scared the Z1R fitting. So, the warm tone of M9 is really interested me.

A few days after I got M9, I still can't find the perfect tips for me. The best right now is Final Type E, I ordered some new tips and hope it will fit perfectly.

For the sound, the early impression is a mixed bag. The sound is thick, warm with good treble but something not feel right for me. The mid bass is too much for my liking and it overshadowed the sub bass rumble, it make the sub bass nearly non exist. The high is too smooth and dull. Tried the EQ but it ruined the M9 tonally.

Then I remember that I have the silver cable that I not used for a long time. At first song after swapped the cable I found the sound just changed but after a few songs my impression is go through the roof. The SQ is improved dramatically to suit my taste. The mid bass was tamed and bring the sub bass out of the shadow. The high is now crisp and clear, no more smooth and dull. Overall tonally is thinner than before but everything feel more balanced with a tiny bit of mid bass boost.

I confident to call the M9 is one of the TOTL iem, for me it on par with PP8. It is a true hidden gem that might not look so shiny. However, with some polishing it can shine brightly.
you should try the JVC Spiral Dot ++

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,537 of 3,178
Hmmmm.... Just want to vent a bit about how great the M9 has been :)
I've had it for 1,5 years now and I keep coming back to it. Even after this much time it still manages to surprise me.
The amount of detail is just great, and without shoving that detail down your throat. The M9 just presents it so naturally.

What also really surprised me was the amount and punchiness of bass I got when listening to the Chord Hugo 2, connected via Toslink to a Macbook Pro.
I have no explanation for it, but there was a very significant difference between USB and optical Toslink, and the M9 showed it very clearly.

I really wonder how popular it would be, if it would be available globally at the price A2A used to sell it for...
IMO the performance is simply breathtaking for the €600/$700 I paid for it.
Thansk to the people on this thread who shared this information last year!

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #1,538 of 3,178
I have no explanation for it, but there was a very significant difference between USB and optical Toslink, and the M9 showed it very clearly.
Unexplained because it cannot possibly make a difference. The information is sent as bits to the DAC over toslink and USB and then converted the same way, no matter how the DAC got it. I think this is a bit of 'internal bias' causing the perceived difference.

In any case, very glad you still love the M9s after a year. They are hard to beat in their market segment.

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,539 of 3,178
Unexplained because it cannot possibly make a difference. The information is sent as bits to the DAC over toslink and USB and then converted the same way, no matter how the DAC got it. I think this is a bit of 'internal bias' causing the perceived difference.
Get yourself a Hugo 2 and try.
The difference is crystal clear.

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #1,540 of 3,178
Does anyone know if Sony still honors the warranties on these? I think the left piece is already broken and I only bought this in August. High pitch sounds an especially piano pieces makes the left piece buzz a lot. Then in the right piece it sounds like one of the drivers burnt out or something because songs before that had crystal clarity where I can make out every instrument and background vocals now is suddenly has become hard to distinguish.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #1,541 of 3,178
Does anyone know if Sony still honors the warranties on these? I think the left piece is already broken and I only bought this in August. High pitch sounds an especially piano pieces makes the left piece buzz a lot. Then in the right piece it sounds like one of the drivers burnt out or something because songs before that had crystal clarity where I can make out every instrument and background vocals now is suddenly has become hard to distinguish.
Why doesn’t Sony honor warranty? If it’s still under warranty period, I don’t see Sony rejecting your warranty claim. Just send it to Sony.

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,542 of 3,178
Why doesn’t Sony honor warranty? If it’s still under warranty period, I don’t see Sony rejecting your warranty claim. Just send it to Sony.
Well I've heard Sony has been sued before for not honoring their warranties. So I was curious if other people's experience on here dealing with Sony has been simple and straight forward. You tell them it's broken, you send it to them, they send you a replacement. Or if it was huge headache all the way through and they make jump through all these hoops before sending a replacement.

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,543 of 3,178
Well I've heard Sony has been sued before for not honoring their warranties. So I was curious if other people's experience on here dealing with Sony has been simple and straight forward. You tell them it's broken, you send it to them, they send you a replacement. Or if it was huge headache all the way through and they make jump through all these hoops before sending a replacement.
Every big brand, once in a while, their customers do experience such things. That should not keep you from approaching Sony for a replacement.

Nov 5, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,544 of 3,178
Hi guys, just bought a pair of these since they were on sale. Love the sound so far even though I didn't really listen to anything HiRes except some stuff off Spotify and off some old audio CDs on a Marantz M-CR612. I'm waiting to get a DAP since I plan to use these for commutes but wanted to potentially use them when working out or going on a run as well but hate having the wires get tangled up. Just to check, is there a way to make them wireless by getting some third party adaptor for them? Currently use Shure Aonic 215s with the TW1 bluetooth adapter but would be cool if I could use these instead.

Was debating getting the Shure SE846 at first instead of these though, since I could have maybe got a (used) pair for half the price and paired them to TW1 adapter but these had better reviews overall. Now not sure if I made the right choice, or if the difference is really that significant to justify the price both price wise and since listening during workouts makes up a good chunk of my listening time even though a wireless connection is not the same. I guess I could just stick to my 215s for the workout part, since I'm not even sure it would make that much of a difference wireless over regular 320kbps Spotify tracks? Or just go back to wired listening again lol.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #1,545 of 3,178
Hi guys, just bought a pair of these since they were on sale. Love the sound so far even though I didn't really listen to anything HiRes except some stuff off Spotify and off some old audio CDs on a Marantz M-CR612. I'm waiting to get a DAP since I plan to use these for commutes but wanted to potentially use them when working out or going on a run as well but hate having the wires get tangled up. Just to check, is there a way to make them wireless by getting some third party adaptor for them? Currently use Shure Aonic 215s with the TW1 bluetooth adapter but would be cool if I could use these instead.

Was debating getting the Shure SE846 at first instead of these though, since I could have maybe got a (used) pair for half the price and paired them to TW1 adapter but these had better reviews overall. Now not sure if I made the right choice, or if the difference is really that significant to justify the price both price wise and since listening during workouts makes up a good chunk of my listening time even though a wireless connection is not the same. I guess I could just stick to my 215s for the workout part, since I'm not even sure it would make that much of a difference wireless over regular 320kbps Spotify tracks? Or just go back to wired listening again lol.
Why can’t you use a TWS instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back