Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Sep 23, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,516 of 3,155
I also ordered the XM4 tips based on this recomendation. Came here to say that I think they are the best I have used on my M9. They are extremely comfortable, provide good isolation, keep the sound stage wide, and do not harm the bass. I bought the M and L sizes to try, liked the M fit more.

Going to buy a few more of that size and stock up I think. Appreciate the tip on these!
Are the XM4 tips similar in size and shape compared to the stock triple-comfort tips? The MS size triple-comfort tips work best for me as far as comfort goes, but I would like that same comfort but with a sound similar to the hybrid tips. Would the medium size XM4 tips be the closest thing to the MS triple-comfort tips?

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #1,517 of 3,155
So the stock cable is good as everyone says but does anyone own an upgrade cable for the M9? If so, what do you use? One thing I’d like is a balanced 2.5 cable vs a 4.4 but the adapter isn’t too annoying anyways so may not be worth a new cable just for that.

Candidly not a huge fan of the way the cable goes over your ear though since it doesn’t actually go over my ear and stay there - usually pops over my ear. That would be nice to have an improvement on

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #1,518 of 3,155
Also - I just gotta comment again because HOLY crap these things are just so god damn good! I’ve never spent this type of money on headphones or IEM’s and my most expensive set of headphones before this are Sennheiser 660S’s.

After getting a few hours on these I can see why the diminishing returns beyond this price point must really kick in. I just hear so many things I never even thought I was missing and the sound is so, so pleasing (I’ve never been a fan of ear shattering treble so love the warm sound these have). Anyways, this is from a high end IEM noob. I feel like this started something that will be a serious danger for my wallet 😂

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #1,519 of 3,155
Candidly not a huge fan of the way the cable goes over your ear though since it doesn’t actually go over my ear and stay there - usually pops over my ear. That would be nice to have an improvement on
tried behind the head & the y slider ?

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,520 of 3,155
Sep 24, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,521 of 3,155
AKA the cinch or "chin slider" I think? It's the little piece of plastic above the y-split (the part where the cable splits into two) that can move up and down the cable.

here's a good demonstration (the shirt clip in it is a good tip too)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,522 of 3,155
So the stock cable is good as everyone says but does anyone own an upgrade cable for the M9? If so, what do you use? One thing I’d like is a balanced 2.5 cable vs a 4.4 but the adapter isn’t too annoying anyways so may not be worth a new cable just for that.

I have the most basic DUNU cable that allows you to change the termination. I keep a 3.5mm tip and iphone dongle in my headphone case just in case I need it. Normally I use the 4.4mm tip for my DAP.

I believe there is a 2.5mm termination option. Not sure if the cable quality is an 'upgrade' from the original, but I notice no difference in sound. I am not one to really buy much into different cables vastly impacting the sound of IEMs/headphones though.

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #1,523 of 3,155
I have the most basic DUNU cable that allows you to change the termination. I keep a 3.5mm tip and iphone dongle in my headphone case just in case I need it. Normally I use the 4.4mm tip for my DAP.

I believe there is a 2.5mm termination option. Not sure if the cable quality is an 'upgrade' from the original, but I notice no difference in sound. I am not one to really buy much into different cables vastly impacting the sound of IEMs/headphones though.

I have the Dunu DUW-02, which I believe is the one you are talking about. I did strip the formed ear hook plastic from mine as I hate formed or wired hooks (I wear glasses so flexibility helps). Likewise, I'm not a big believer in $$$ cables and I certainly cannot tell the difference from stock.

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #1,524 of 3,155
hi guys. does the xm4 tips is the same size with sony hybrid? i used size small on sony hybrids. planning to buy and try it with my m9. currently enjoying azla sedna short. thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #1,525 of 3,155
I'm not really a cable believer but I swear the stock IER-M9 cable seems to have a warmer, smoother, and more wide sound than my FiiO LC-RC which seems to bring some energy to upper mids/vocals and pushes them a little more forward and to the center. Can someone convince me this is just a matter of differences in fit from the MMCX connector shapes because I am not trying to go down a cable rolling rabbit hole right now lol

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,526 of 3,155
I'm not really a cable believer but I swear the stock IER-M9 cable seems to have a warmer, smoother, and more wide sound than my FiiO LC-RC which seems to bring some energy to upper mids/vocals and pushes them a little more forward and to the center. Can someone convince me this is just a matter of differences in fit from the MMCX connector shapes because I am not trying to go down a cable rolling rabbit hole right now lol
I hear the same, but I was converted to believe in the influence of cables 20 years ago...
If you are looking for scientific explanations it's getting super complex and I am honestly not sure if anyone can really fully explain it.
But if you consistently hear it, trust your ears!

I chose the CEMA PS cable from Aliexpress specifically to get a more mid forward and open sound, and it worked out well.
I think it really takes the M9 up a notch. One day I would like to try the $400 Tianwaitian...

Oct 9, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #1,528 of 3,155
Absolutely correct!

IER M9’s cable really holds it back from sound more neutral.

I had the Fiio LCD Silver and ALO Super Litz and both helped the upper registers of the Sony sound more snappy. The SuperLitz also is the most dynamic and makes the Sony ba bass sound really impressive despite the tech limitation.

Still have the cable collecting dust but no more m9 :frowning2:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 10, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #1,529 of 3,155
I have used the fiio fc3.5c (silver plated copper) and recently gu.craftsman single crystal silver. The tighter ear hooks did affect the fit so if the seal has been compromised it could have the effect you are describing of forward/sharper mids.

I am hating that I prefer the m9 stock cable and have just wasted this money on cables (learning experience). The stock cable is light the light ear guides/hooks actually allow more freedom with the insertion angle depth. It is also the least microphonic which is important for listening on the move.

Picture of gu.craftsman because I don't think there is one on the internet yet:
20211005_122618.jpg

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #1,530 of 3,155
4BE5B927-BFB2-4C7B-BAA0-07282F875481.jpeg

Another Sony in my collection after IER-Z1R! Better in overall balance and coherence compared to its big brother! But no match for Z1R’s bass and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back