Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Nov 6, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #1,546 of 3,155
Hi guys, just bought a pair of these since they were on sale. Love the sound so far even though I didn't really listen to anything HiRes except some stuff off Spotify and off some old audio CDs on a Marantz M-CR612. I'm waiting to get a DAP since I plan to use these for commutes but wanted to potentially use them when working out or going on a run as well but hate having the wires get tangled up. Just to check, is there a way to make them wireless by getting some third party adaptor for them? Currently use Shure Aonic 215s with the TW1 bluetooth adapter but would be cool if I could use these instead.

Was debating getting the Shure SE846 at first instead of these though, since I could have maybe got a (used) pair for half the price and paired them to TW1 adapter but these had better reviews overall. Now not sure if I made the right choice, or if the difference is really that significant to justify the price both price wise and since listening during workouts makes up a good chunk of my listening time even though a wireless connection is not the same. I guess I could just stick to my 215s for the workout part, since I'm not even sure it would make that much of a difference wireless over regular 320kbps Spotify tracks? Or just go back to wired listening again lol.
You could always test the your m9 with the adapter you own as they are both mmcx connections to see if you will appreciate the better sound while exercising.

I use a regular tws pair for the convenience when exercising and save the m9 for when I am mostly stationery on public transport or home.

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,547 of 3,155
Why can’t you use a TWS instead?

I am with the Aonics which are tw, but thought it would be cool to compare it with the Sonys for wireless/BT and use these for workouts as well instead if sound difference is noticeable.

You could always test the your m9 with the adapter you own as they are both mmcx connections to see if you will appreciate the better sound while exercising.

I use a regular tws pair for the convenience when exercising and save the m9 for when I am mostly stationery on public transport or home.

Yeah that was my initial thought as well, commute with the M9 and stick with the Aonics for workouts. Wait you mean the TW1 adapter I have can be used with these as well? Had no idea lol, I did not even attempt to try it, just assumed it would only work for the Shure products/earbuds.

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,548 of 3,155
I am with the Aonics which are tw, but thought it would be cool to compare it with the Sonys for wireless/BT and use these for workouts as well instead if sound difference is noticeable.

Yeah that was my initial thought as well, commute with the M9 and stick with the Aonics for workouts. Wait you mean the TW1 adapter I have can be used with these as well? Had no idea lol, I did not even attempt to try it, just assumed it would only work for the Shure products/earbuds.
In that case any TW adaptor with a mmcx port works with M9. But I don’t think it’s wise to carry and use a 1000$ IEM for workouts. For just walking, you may take M9 with a DAP, which I will do occasionally. For any other rigorous activities, TWS is preferred.

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #1,550 of 3,155
I ordered the normal Spiral Dot to test. Unfortunately the M size is too big and MS size is too small.
Normal Spiral Dots were a no go for me. Suction effect even worse than stock tips. The ++ model is where it's at brother.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #1,551 of 3,155
20210705_212713.jpg

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #1,552 of 3,155
The right MMCX connector became loose over time. I wouldn't say it's the connector itself that is loose, but what it's attached to within the housing.

Sent it in for warranty and received a new replacement. No problem at first, but over time ran into the same right MMCX connector issue.

Is there any fix?

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #1,553 of 3,155
The right MMCX connector became loose over time. I wouldn't say it's the connector itself that is loose, but what it's attached to within the housing.

Sent it in for warranty and received a new replacement. No problem at first, but over time ran into the same right MMCX connector issue.

Is there any fix?
I think most of us just avoid disconnecting them as much as possible. Which sucks. I will say though I have not personally experienced this issue. And when I got them back in January 2019 I disconnected/reconnected them twice a day when I put them away in their case when I would leave work. I did this for about 3 months I think. So maybe it only affects certain pairs?

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #1,554 of 3,155
The right MMCX connector became loose over time.
There have been several similar reports in this thread, as well as other sony iems threads.
It seems that their connectors are on the weaker side, so yeah, i would avoid disconnecting cables unless it's really necessary, like when the stock one is falling apart :)
And if it's already loose, i don't think you can fix it

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #1,556 of 3,155
Radius Deep Mount seems to be good for the M9.
They are pretty good, i have been testing them myself for the last 2 days.
But i haven't decided yet if they are in any way better than my previous favorites, random double flange tips from aliexpress :)

tips_1.jpgtips_2.jpgtips_3.jpg

So far comfort is good, i feel no pressure buildup and they sound quite open and balanced.
And i like that they fit the nozzle perfectly, because double flange ones are loose and are sometimes left inside my ears. But they do sound a little better to me, and may have an edge comfort wise too.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #1,557 of 3,155
Normal Spiral Dots were a no go for me. Suction effect even worse than stock tips. The ++ model is where it's at brother.
You have been preaching about the Spiral Dot ++ being the ultimate tips and finally I gave in and paid the ridiculous price for some MS and M SD++ tips from Amazon JP.
I have to agree, they are really good. The M size tips are good for other IEMs but with the M9 they seal too much. The MS fit deep, provide the right seal and are comfortable.
The sound balance is really amazing! I think the only thing I could wish for to improve would be that the bass could move more air, have a bit more rumble like a DD driver. But that's nitpicking. The M9 sounds amazing.
Thank you!
:beerchug:

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1,559 of 3,155
I use the tips from Sony MH755 which are narrow bore and seem to taper similar to Final E, so those are also an option for more bass if you have tips from MH755 which are cheap and popular and a good IEM in its own right for the value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back