Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,621 of 2,773
Quote:
240 is a good price, still can't deal with the ugly black color scheme though /sigh

I don't think the black/red is ugly at all. The silver/brown is much better, but still.

Additionally if you're ruling out a headphone simply because of its looks you need your head examined.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,623 of 2,773
Quote:
I don't think the black/red is ugly at all. The silver/brown is much better, but still.

Additionally if you're ruling out a headphone simply because of its looks you need your head examined.

I think my head is fine. I just want my stuff to look cool what's wrong with that. Especially when the silver can be had for the same price as the black one. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #1,624 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:

I think my head is fine. I just want my stuff to look cool what's wrong with that. Especially when the silver can be had for the same price as the black one. 

The point I'm trying to get across here is that looks don't outweigh sound. I'd wear the stupidest looking headphone in the world if it sounded better, as would any audiophile.

Besides, when you get a headphone that sounds really, really good, you will slowly become attached to its looks even if you didn't like it when you were looking at it online. That's what happens to me at least. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #1,626 of 2,773
Quote:
The point I'm trying to get across here is that looks don't outweigh sound. I'd wear the stupidest looking headphone in the world if it sounded better, as would any audiophile.

Besides, when you get a headphone that sounds really, really good, you will slowly become attached to its looks even if you didn't like it when you were looking at it online. That's what happens to me at least. 

For a portable headphone looks can be as important as sound, for me at least. At home I sure don't care enough about how dorky something on my head is but I do quite a lot outside.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,627 of 2,773
Quote:
For a portable headphone looks can be as important as sound, for me at least. At home I sure don't care enough about how dorky something on my head is but I do quite a lot outside.

Nope, sorry, don't see how this makes any sense. Headphones aren't supposed to be fashion accessories, they're supposed to reproduce sound. If the design of a headphone sacrifices looks for sound quality, isolation, fit, comfort, and other things related to functionality there is no reason you shouldn't be using it. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,628 of 2,773
Anyone know how light these headphones are compared to the DT880's and if they clamp tight? I can't find any headphones like my cheap $30 Panasonic HTF600's, I think they feel perfect with the velour pads as I don't feel the clamp and they are so light that sometimes I forget they are on. I wonder if the 1r's have similar or better comfort.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,630 of 2,773
Just an update from me I've tested them with a lumia 920 from Nokia and apple 4s and the Bluetooth volume on apple products is poor. It's not loud as hard wire, I also noticed the next track etc is choppy on apple products iPad iPhone , the lumia is seemless it's as loud on both mediums and the headphone controls work flawlessly, I've logged this with apple but I've also found shedloads of issues around this.

But overall I think they look and sound awesome, if I could compare them they are more or less the warm sound of the sennheiser momentums I own, the amperiors are very good but the bass is tight.

Out of the 3 above the sony have the better bass, well so far I've not broken any of the headphones in yet,
As for looks the sonys look good, with some very soft materials, the momentums are lush, top notch material and very nice.

The amperior is raw and mad max esk. All sound good though

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #1,631 of 2,773
Quote:
What do you mean unrelated, takato might not own or properly auditioned MDR-1R but he owns DT1350, and all other phones are just not worthy.
biggrin.gif

He meant to say that it's rather useless to compare graphs from different sources beacuse: a) Different measurement equipment will not produce the same raw results, b) different HRTF claibrations and smoothing techniques (Tyll uses 'Independant of Source' while GE uses 'Diffuse Feild" ). 

It's also downright ignorant, to put it lightly, to make your case for MDR-1R with a graph for an altogether diffrent model (Z1000).

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,632 of 2,773
Also graphs are not 100 accurate for what we are hearing by ear, but it is a good reference to use before you decide an headphone. As the dummy heads measure dB per hz, they can still sound different as the housing and drivers are different. Also the passform of the dummy head versus real heads and ears, we are all different.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,633 of 2,773
Quote:
Also graphs are not 100 accurate for what we are hearing by ear, but it is a good reference to use before you decide an headphone. As the dummy heads measure dB per hz, they can still sound different as the housing and drivers are different. Also the passform of the dummy head versus real heads and ears, we are all different.

And if you have a dummy head with good ears and a reviewers head with dummy ears, you end up in the same place.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,634 of 2,773
Little tip if you got big ears that touch the plastic covering the driver, just use some cloth or pads rollled 3-5cm long and 0-.5-1cm thick. Then push it under the cups, on the side going bakwards so it is almost not visible. No reduced sound quality by doing this, as it doesnt interfere with the sound going to your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back