Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,471 of 2,773
Just got these cans. Right out of the box the mids seem very forward , the bass is "there" and noticeable but is a little weak to my ears , Highs like cymbals and such seem a little "behind" and weak as well and because of the lows and highs being so I think the mid is very noticeable. I hope it's not a problem with my ears and they'll burn in and get better with time. I've read reviews and I know I won't be getting a basshead can and that's not what I was after , I just wish it'll turn out a little more "fun" then they currently are.

Burning in them with a Burn-in app from Google Play on android as I type this , hoping for results later.
Please keep us posted. I'm waiting for mine to get here so interested in your post burn in thoughts.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #1,472 of 2,773
Quote:
Just got these cans. Right out of the box the mids seem very forward , the bass is "there" and noticeable but is a little weak to my ears , Highs like cymbals and such seem a little "behind" and weak as well and because of the lows and highs being so I think the mid is very noticeable. I hope it's not a problem with my ears and they'll burn in and get better with time. I've read reviews and I know I won't be getting a basshead can and that's not what I was after , I just wish it'll turn out a little more "fun" then they currently are.

Burning in them with a Burn-in app from Google Play on android as I type this , hoping for results later.

Ah , and I forgot to mention my left ear touches the  webbing-pad thing that covers the driver , probably is just the way I wear the cans , it's not irritating or anything though but then again I haven't worn these for a long time as I didn't really enjoy the sound and am burning them in so I can't say if they'll make my left ear feel uncomfortable yet.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #1,473 of 2,773
Quote:
Based on your listening preference, you may really enjoy the 1R.

I do!
dt880smile.png
  Its shortcomings can be fixed with a simple Eq adjustment anyways... I'm still happy especially coming from the XBA-3; not much adjustments needed whenever I switch back to the MDR-1r when I'm at home.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #1,474 of 2,773
Quote:
Ah , and I forgot to mention my left ear touches the  webbing-pad thing that covers the driver , probably is just the way I wear the cans , it's not irritating or anything though but then again I haven't worn these for a long time as I didn't really enjoy the sound and am burning them in so I can't say if they'll make my left ear feel uncomfortable yet.

After less than an hour of burn in (because I was a little impatient of waiting and decided to try them right away) , I don't know if it's just a mental thing but I can hear the highs and lows getting better already. Before , the mid-range sounded really prominent till it's sort of echo-ey and the highs and lows sounded far behind.

The change due to burning-in made me a little more patient and hopeful in more change in sound. Another 2 hours of burn in later , the sound sounds balanced with the mids being a little more forward. It's a little more "fun" than before but perhaps not as much as I want it to be with some pop and electronic tracks. Ballads and such sound nice though as the vocals are more clearer and noticeable.

I know it may be a little too soon to judge these cans with only about 3 hours of burn in and 1-2 hours of burn-in but it's just my little update on the sound. Definitely gonna listen to these cans more.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #1,475 of 2,773
Quote:
got you and the other guy confused, but w/e :D
1R should isolate b/c you'd be having the sound up I guess- not sure about that but maybe SOME PEOPLE HERE (yes you guys in the thread) can tell you about the isolation
wink.gif
 I don't think they'd leak either, but I could always be wrong. I haven't seen any complains about leakage.

Not sure about double DACing since most of us use an LOD and bypass the internal DAC. I don't think it'd be worth the bother to double dac. If it's all you can ford (E11), maybe save up? I forgot what player you're using in the first place.Wait. wth. I thought that thing's an amplifier. Again, every time I hear FiiO, I cringe. But they're the only portable guys in that price range and it disgusts me. Wait nvm. They're the only guys who've even bothered to go to that price range, so you can't blame them. Other companies' faults for not seeing that as a chance to gain customers that don't know much about audio. It looks like FiiO has got them. all other portable amps above the odac are... $600+ but they're good. Problem is, is that not many people got the money :p So if you got a device with a good internal DAC, don't go for an external.

Ah alright :D those're always handy then. 

These phones in general are detailed and you can use them for quiet listening (preferred) :D but at the same time they're easy to drive, so you can use them OTG. The holiday guide pretty much has it at the bottom of over-ear section. 

I find that it isolates well with no leakage unless you are really blasting the volume of which I would be worried about your own ear drums.  I am using it with a GoVibe Magnum DAC+amp and am enjoying it.  Preferred the sound passing through the Magnum vs FiiO devices.

My current preference via my Samsung Galaxy Note II is with Neutron app -> USB OTG -> GoVibe Magnum -> MDR-1RNC (NC turned on)

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,476 of 2,773
Quote:

The change due to burning-in made me a little more patient and hopeful in more change in sound. Another 2 hours of burn in later , the sound sounds balanced with the mids being a little more forward. It's a little more "fun" than before but perhaps not as much as I want it to be with some pop and electronic tracks. Ballads and such sound nice though as the vocals are more clearer and noticeable.

^exactly the same results as my pair after a couple of hours burn-in. Keep them plugged in with some heavy bass ridden tracks... patience is a virtue!

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,477 of 2,773
I find that it isolates well with no leakage unless you are really blasting the volume of which I would be worried about your own ear drums.  I am using it with a GoVibe Magnum DAC+amp and am enjoying it.  Preferred the sound passing through the Magnum vs FiiO devices.

My current preference via my Samsung Galaxy Note II is with Neutron app -> USB OTG -> GoVibe Magnum -> MDR-1RNC (NC turned on)

Agreed regarding isolation, leakage and ear drums.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,479 of 2,773
Quote:

I do!
dt880smile.png
  Its shortcomings can be fixed with a simple Eq adjustment anyways... I'm still happy especially coming from the XBA-3; not much adjustments needed whenever I switch back to the MDR-1r when I'm at home.

Unfortunately my main source is an iPhone which does not have proper EQ 
frown.gif
.  Why, Apple, why!?!?
I don't like the EQu app - it eats my battery, skips at least once or twice per song, and the "previous" button skips to the previous track instead of the beginning of the current track.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,481 of 2,773
Quote:
How are yours now?

The bass is now much punchier tho still a liiiittle bit lacking in quantity; nothing a good Eq can't fix.
Mids are still a bit forward; maybe a bit too much for some but it's perfect for me. It's now more relaxed compared from open box.
Highs are now more detailed and just a tad under sibilant. Very nice I must say!
They say the MDR-1r can really benefit from a very good amp; improves the bass end by a good margin. You may want to try that...

Currently listening to Adele and John Mayer... just perfect with the extra 10db bump @ 30Hz.
dt880smile.png

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #1,483 of 2,773
They aren't bass heavy at all. 
I've had them for a little while now, they sound great!
They have about 24 hours of total use so far and the sound is nothing impressive, it's very tamed and representative of the sound and I say this with the best intentions.
However, I'm running them through a macbook or a nano... :frowning2:
I have a Sony F806 and a Headstage Arrow 4g on the way. I'll give more details then!

They're incredibly comfortable and look amazing on the head!

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #1,485 of 2,773
Quote:
They aren't bass heavy at all. 
I've had them for a little while now, they sound great!
They have about 24 hours of total use so far and the sound is nothing impressive, it's very tamed and representative of the sound and I say this with the best intentions.
However, I'm running them through a macbook or a nano... :frowning2:
I have a Sony F806 and a Headstage Arrow 4g on the way. I'll give more details then!

They're incredibly comfortable and look amazing on the head!

exactly this^
I'm a bass-head but I'm still very happy with the MDR-1r.
I also have the XBA-3 and if only the MDR-1r has the same sub-bass emphasis as the XBA-3, then I would give the MDR-1r a 9.5/10!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back