Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #1,441 of 2,773
Indoors with quiet environment: there's a bit of leakage when playing at full volume. At 70% volume, the person in front of you can barely hear your music.
I don't think this will be a problem outdoors even at full volume tho...

Thanks so much. I like how my K167 isolate, but I assume with these being as comfortable as reported they can't have the clamping force, so I worried about leakage.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #1,442 of 2,773
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,444 of 2,773
Quote:
The right side creaks whenever I put it on or move and I just bought these yesterday. :frowning2:

my pair doesn't... maybe you can have yours replaced?

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,446 of 2,773
I was finally able to satisfy my curiosity to hear the MDR-1R by making a special trip to the Sony store in downtown Philly this morning.  These are general impressions from less than an hour of listening, so please take with the obligatory "grain of salt". Parking was $16, but that is cheaper than return shipping.  Comparing to M-100 and what I remember from my time with the M4U2, the forward mids of the 1R jumped out right away.  While I thought detail was good, I was thinking while listening that, if vocals are this much out front, they need  even MORE detail to take advantage of their presence.  I don't listen with lossless or FLAC files.  I use Apple Plus (256K), so perhaps lossless files would provide more detail, but I prefer the signature of my M-100 for most music and am even willing to acknowledge that is may be due to laid-back mids on M-100 being more forgiving.  Highs extend further with the 1R, but I still find the M-100 smoother and more enjoyable with more prominent bass that I prefer.  Bass presence is there with 1R, but coming from M-100, I was missing it with some tracks.  I would equate the difference in midrange presence between M-100 and 1R to equal the difference in bass between 1R and M-100. 

I also feel the 1R has as much extension in the high end compared to the M4U2, but the M4U2 provides a smoother, more natural presentation overall than the 1R.  However, I consider the highs of the 1R superior to both Momentum and Amperior which I found to be somewhat harsh.  1R is also more detailed than Amperior; comparable to Momentum. 

All five of these have a strong bass presence to varying degrees.

For what it's worth, here is my attempt at objectivity, ranking for overall listening enjoyment IMO with all genres:

1. M4U2
2. M-100
3. MDR-1R
4. Momentum
5. Amperior

Here is my ranking based on personal taste:

1. M-100
2. M4U2
3. MDR-1R
4. Amperior
5. Momentum

While I have no reason to buy my third choice, I feel MDR-1R is a worthy entry in this category and a solid performer, especially if you are a midhead
confused_face_2.gif
looking for something closed and portable.   They also take the #1 spot for comfort as they are spacious and light with a gentle clamping force, yet they don't fly off if I shake my head.

EDIT:  While at the Sony store, I also A/B'd the XB500 (which is on clearance for $50) and the MDR-V6.  As impressive as the bass was on the XB500, there is NO WAY I could enjoy listening to music through them.  The veiled highs are a dealbreaker and I wouldn't even pay $50 for them.  On the other hand, I was impressed with the MDR-V6 for the price.  While it didn't match my preferred sound signature as I am sensitive to bright highs, the highs extend MUCH further than the MDR-1R with good detail and no significant sibilance.  Of course, mids are more forward, but with respectable detail. They are much weaker on the low end compared to the MDR-1R, so if you tried the MDR-1R and thought the highs didn't extend far enough and you are not a basshead, save $200 and check out the MDR-V6.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,447 of 2,773
Quote:
I I don't listen with lossless or FLAC files.  I use Apple Plus (256K), so perhaps lossless files would provide more detail

Very nice impressions. They are laid back and not everyone after that signature.
The one thing I want to point out is that they scale tremendously with the good source. I have office setup Stello DA100->Gilmore Lite and Chord DAC64->GS-1 at home and there is quite a big difference in what I hear in one setup versus another. The more resolving the source the better they sound.
Sometimes I do wish though that bass had better control and more texture like on K271S, but afraid you can't have your cake and eat it as that would require losing some bass volume. Taping bass ports makes them sound thinner, not sure that I like that but it does make everything tighter, haven't tried foam yet.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #1,448 of 2,773
Thanks for the input on 1R Craigster! After seeing the FR graph on innerfidelity I kinda lost interest seeing how they are quite rolled-off in the subbass area and it's peaked around 100Hz which is a bit too high for what I'm looking for.

I guess it's down to M4U 1 or M100 for me, I have trouble finding M4U 1 so far in europe, seems only a few places carry them so far.

Oh well I'm gonna stick to Q40 as long as I still keep enjoying them as much as I do. If I switch headphone I also have to spend some time get used to the sound signature of the headphone before being able to master hardstyle tracks nicely again (need to listen to a lot of retail tracks so I get a sense of how it should sound like on that particular headphone)

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,450 of 2,773
Quote:
Thanks for the input on 1R Craigster! After seeing the FR graph on innerfidelity I kinda lost interest seeing how they are quite rolled-off in the subbass area and it's peaked around 100Hz which is a bit too high for what I'm looking for.

I guess by page 97 FR graph preferences are getting changed. Kidding, kidding.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r/90#post_8667620

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,451 of 2,773
Quote:

I guess it's down to M4U 1 or M100 for me, I have trouble finding M4U 1 so far in europe, seems only a few places carry them so far.

Oh well I'm gonna stick to Q40 as long as I still keep enjoying them as much as I do. If I switch headphone I also have to spend some time get used to the sound signature of the headphone before being able to master hardstyle tracks nicely again (need to listen to a lot of retail tracks so I get a sense of how it should sound like on that particular headphone)

Yes, the MDR-1R are not basshead worthy, but are certainly not bass-light.  The M4U1 (based on my experience with the M4U2 unamped + E11 on bass boost #2) is basshead worthy with EQ as they can produce a powerful mid-bass punch.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,452 of 2,773
Quote:
Also, these are 8ohms? How is that even possible? And if so, why aren't more companies doing it. Why does 32 ohm seem to be the iplayer benchmark. And if these are 8 ohm, why do most here say they sound better amped. I would thing of almost any can at hat low of impedence that unmapped would be great. Just curious.

8 ohms is the standard specification of most speakers. Amps are unnecessary. Period.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,453 of 2,773
Amps do not only provide the power to make the drivers work but also alter the sound while doing so. So most headphones will have their sound affected by amping, better or worse.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,454 of 2,773
Quote:
Just in case anyone was searching for a nice hard-shell case, the small Hippocase from Jaben (barely) fits the MDR-1R.

Nice nice! does it have inner pockets for the cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back