Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #1,456 of 2,773
Nice. It and the slappa Hardbody pro case seem to be he best 2 that should fit these. The slappa fits the beats pros per reviews so the mdr1r should fit too, I'd assume.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #1,457 of 2,773
Quote:
Nice. It and the slappa Hardbody pro case seem to be he best 2 that should fit these. The slappa fits the beats pros per reviews so the mdr1r should fit too, I'd assume.

Yes, I just got Slappa
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NE7B06/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
Fits perfectly with room to spare, and I can also use it for bigger phones like DT880.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,459 of 2,773
Quote:
Awesome. So reccommended, eh?
I like that slappa and only $26 from their site.

It's better than plastic bag. But hard case is just moderately "hard", I can flex it with the finger. It would perfectly withstand some abuse when thrown in the bag or the luggage but something I wouldn't personally sit on.
I have Audio Technica case that I bought for ESW9, it seems similar to Jaben, and quite harder, unfortunately MDR-1R doesn't fit.
Not sure if there is anything better of Slappa size, I usually use ASA case but it's just nylon fabric and doesn't offers any serious protection.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,462 of 2,773
Quote:
Thanks for the input on 1R Craigster! After seeing the FR graph on innerfidelity I kinda lost interest seeing how they are quite rolled-off in the subbass area and it's peaked around 100Hz which is a bit too high for what I'm looking for.

I guess it's down to M4U 1 or M100 for me, I have trouble finding M4U 1 so far in europe, seems only a few places carry them so far.

Oh well I'm gonna stick to Q40 as long as I still keep enjoying them as much as I do. If I switch headphone I also have to spend some time get used to the sound signature of the headphone before being able to master hardstyle tracks nicely again (need to listen to a lot of retail tracks so I get a sense of how it should sound like on that particular headphone)

I just gave them another listen today and AB'ed them with my Q40. Next to the Q40 the Sony 1R sounds a little bass-shy; there's a bit of impact in the mid bass but very little sub bass unless it's a really bassy song. Mids are much more forward. Lower mids are warm and delightful, but there's a bit of honkiness in the upper mids for certain notes in vocals. It's also present on the Q40 at high volumes, but much less of it. Treble isn't lacking, just neutral, which makes it seem recessed because of the midrange emphasis.

I prefer the lower mids of the 1R but the lack of bass and upper mid harshness on some notes make me say that I prefer the sound of the Q40, if only slightly. But the Q40 looks very pedestrian, is bigger and heavier, and is much less comfortable. I'm still trying to decide whether it would be worth the extra $150 for significantly better style and comfort.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #1,463 of 2,773
Quote:
8 ohms is the standard specification of most speakers. Amps are unnecessary. Period.

I don't even understand the point you are trying to make here.

There is a lot more to 'necessitating' amping a signal than electrical impedance.

If it's pure volume you're referring to, then you might have a point... but volume is hardly fidelity.

And many speakers get 'amped'.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #1,464 of 2,773
After two days of listening to the MDR-1r, I find it more enjoyable when bumping 30hz up by +10db.
It may be just the bass head in me but even without the use of EQ I can still live with the MDR-1r.
It's definitely the best headphone for my sound signature preference in the under $300 category.

I've auditioned the Momentum but found it a bit dry...
I wonder if the M-100s are as close to the MDR-1r as others described. If it is like the Sony with a bit more forward in sub-bass then the Vmoda must be the perfect headphone for me?

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,465 of 2,773
Quote:
After two days of listening to the MDR-1r, I find it more enjoyable when bumping 30hz up by +10db.
It may be just the bass head in me but even without the use of EQ I can still live with the MDR-1r.
It's definitely the best headphone for my sound signature preference in the under $300 category.

I've auditioned the Momentum but found it a bit dry...
I wonder if the M-100s are as close to the MDR-1r as others described. If it is like the Sony with a bit more forward in sub-bass then the Vmoda must be the perfect headphone for me?

The mids and highs of the M-100 match up much more closely sonically to the B&W P5 than the MDR-1R.  M-100 is much smoother to my ears with laid-back mids; 1R highs extend further.  M-100 bass blows away 1R without intruding on the mids if you are a basshead.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #1,466 of 2,773
Quote:
I just gave them another listen today and AB'ed them with my Q40. Next to the Q40 the Sony 1R sounds a little bass-shy; there's a bit of impact in the mid bass but very little sub bass unless it's a really bassy song. Mids are much more forward. Lower mids are warm and delightful, but there's a bit of honkiness in the upper mids for certain notes in vocals. It's also present on the Q40 at high volumes, but much less of it. Treble isn't lacking, just neutral, which makes it seem recessed because of the midrange emphasis.

I prefer the lower mids of the 1R but the lack of bass and upper mid harshness on some notes make me say that I prefer the sound of the Q40, if only slightly. But the Q40 looks very pedestrian, is bigger and heavier, and is much less comfortable. I'm still trying to decide whether it would be worth the extra $150 for significantly better style and comfort.

Agree!

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,467 of 2,773
Quote:

It is possible the K267 will address the low-end shortcomings of the MDR-1R and be worth the extra $150 from the Q40.  If they don't,  It is also possible I am going for broke with the Ultrasone Signature DJ.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,468 of 2,773
The mids and highs of the M-100 match up much more closely sonically to the B&W P5 than the MDR-1R.  M-100 is much smoother to my ears with laid-back mids; 1R highs extend further.  M-100 bass blows away 1R without intruding on the mids if you are a basshead.

I found the P5s a tad too smooth. I want a significant amount of detail from mids to highs. Well that would mean the M100s aren't the best for me either :frowning2:

Maybe I should just try the JVC s500 and hope for the best...

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,470 of 2,773
Just got these cans. Right out of the box the mids seem very forward , the bass is "there" and noticeable but is a little weak to my ears , Highs like cymbals and such seem a little "behind" and weak as well and because of the lows and highs being so I think the mid is very noticeable. I hope it's not a problem with my ears and they'll burn in and get better with time. I've read reviews and I know I won't be getting a basshead can and that's not what I was after , I just wish it'll turn out a little more "fun" then they currently are.

Burning in them with a Burn-in app from Google Play on android as I type this , hoping for results later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back