Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #1,502 of 2,773
Quote:
It seems most head-fiers have heard/own a pair of ath-m50's, yet i've only seen about 1.5 comparisons between the two.
Any chance someone that has both the mdr-1r and m50's could give some insight into how these two perform against each other? It would be appreciated.

1R obviously have more forward midrange, and m50 obviously has more treble. Bass IME the m50 has tighter bass but thats a super burned-in m50 (like 1000 hours) and the 1R is less than 100 hours of playtime. The 1R has more "spacious feel" than the m50 and is alot more comfortable. Both headphones have that somewhat nasty clamp below your ear and that is very irritating to me. Not as bad as k518 clamp though.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #1,503 of 2,773
Quote:
No kidding, it doesn't seem that hard to make "really" comfortable phones, good looking phones, why there are so many uncomfortable, ugly ones then?

:3 who knows? I've never had any uncomfortable phones >_> only cause I've had 2 headphones. Iono about my z1000. Maybe the designers were once from beats >:0 those ugly phones. Gaming headsets also ugly. I can't imagine circum aural being uncomfy, but i know supras are. The 1r  seems to have the best of all 3 for a closed phone :3

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,508 of 2,773
Quote:

No they don't need an amp at all, I've tried them with E17, there's no need.

Ah , that's good to know , thank you.

Side note I : My left ear cup squeaks when I move it , like when I'm putting the cans on or taking them off , they don't irritate me while I listen to music or am nodding to the music though. I'm not to sure which part of the plastic is rubbing against each other :/ , so I used silicone spray randomly on the part where the cups swivel but to no avail. Sigh..

Side note II: Burned them in to pink noise overnight but couldn't hear the difference , then just after a few more tracks the bass seemed more noticeable and "thumpier ". 

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #1,510 of 2,773
Just ordered one aswell, looking forward to em. Been so mixed on my next buy as im getting rid of the AKG K550 since I found them abit to boring and cold but at the same time I like them. Also I will not look so stupid at the office or at uni as it will not cover the whole head. Got them for 250$ trough sale, its usually cost 500-600$ for the normal version here in Norway.

Anyone who can give an opinion on how they feel if you have them around the neck?

Often when I have conversation with others I like to not have to take them of my head. My K550 is way to big and the DT880 is smaller but still abit to much.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,511 of 2,773
sounding better with more burn in.

still, having both the K167 and MDR1R couldn't be further from each other as closed cans.  

one, warm and smooth, loose and less detailed and another crisp, detailed, cold and tight.  

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,512 of 2,773
Quote:

one, warm and smooth, loose and less detailed and another crisp, detailed, cold and tight.  

Sounds like what I would end up with if I had a threesome...

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,514 of 2,773
I think what stops the MDR-1R from being a flagship is really just the build / material selection (plastic). That said, between the magnesium flagship EX1000 and plastic professional monitor 7550, I prefer the 7550. Between the magnesium flagship (discontinued) Z1000 and the plastic MDR-1R, I prefer the MDR-1R. My wallet agrees wholeheartedly.

I think the big advantage of the MDR-1R that Andrew_MOT mentions about soundstage / presentation vs the Momentum's is correct. My Momentum's sound extremely precise and impactful, the MDR-1R sounds more musical, diffuse, spacious and relaxed. It depends on what you want; some days I like the Senny, some days I like the Sony.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #1,515 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:
8 ohms is the standard specification of most speakers. Amps are unnecessary. Period.

I don't even understand the point you are trying to make here.

There is a lot more to 'necessitating' amping a signal than electrical impedance.

If it's pure volume you're referring to, then you might have a point... but volume is hardly fidelity.

And many speakers get 'amped'.

The speakers thing was just clarifying that 8 ohms was possible/common.

And, amps are totally unnecessary for this headphone because it has high sensitivity and low impedance. If you use a properly designed amp that will be transparent and not color the sound, it will sound identical to another properly designed amp with higher output power. Unfortunately very few amps are properly designed; any differences you notice are the fault of the equipment, not the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back