Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,051 of 2,773
I'll find out soon enough. All of my headphones are low impedance and high sensitivity. It should fit right in in that regard. And I'm hoping for mid centric with good mid bass. And some treble sparkle is fine, but I hate massive peaks like on the T1.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,052 of 2,773
Quote:
Personally, I am most interested in seeing how these fare without a dedicated amp because I wouldn't mind putting some money back in my bank account and simplifying my setup. Should have impressions next week. Getting a silver/brown model.

i use mine with the walkman F without any amp paired with it. i sometimes use it with my arrow 4g and the difference is minimal through the lineout of the F. settings of the arrow 4g are default, everything at 0

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,054 of 2,773
Quote:
I'll find out soon enough. All of my headphones are low impedance and high sensitivity. It should fit right in in that regard. And I'm hoping for mid centric with good mid bass. And some treble sparkle is fine, but I hate massive peaks like on the T1.

no, the 1R doesnt have obvious peaks when i run some tests on it. there are few, but its not at the treble area where the T1 gets angry lol... but it definitely sounds darker than the T1, or other bright headphones like the k550. The treble for me is enough.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #1,055 of 2,773
Quote:

no, the 1R doesnt have obvious peaks when i run some tests on it. there are few, but its not at the treble area where the T1 gets angry lol... but it definitely sounds darker than the T1, or other bright headphones like the k550. The treble for me is enough.

Yea. I saw one frequency graph posted. Was that yours? I can't remember. Looked pretty nice.. Not that a graph tells the whole story. Small peaks are fine. No headphone is completely flat, and I do not mind that. Some color sounds good to my ears. There was a time when I looked for neutral. That time has passed. :p

Quote:

That's no fun. :)

Very true. But it would certainly come in handy when I order a retina MacBook Pro next year along with the new Haswell micro architecture. :wink:

Quote:

i use mine with the walkman F without any amp paired with it. i sometimes use it with my arrow 4g and the difference is minimal through the lineout of the F. settings of the arrow 4g are default, everything at 0

Good to know. I find that there is very little difference between the headphone jack on my computer and my Grace m903 when using my Audio-Technica cans. As much as I love my m903, the difference in sound is very minimal. Perhaps my listening skills just aren't up to par. But I think it's more because these headphones are made to sound good without any special amp.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,056 of 2,773
Quote:
Yea. I saw one frequency graph posted. Was that yours? I can't remember. Looked pretty nice.. Not that a graph tells the whole story. Small peaks are fine. No headphone is completely flat, and I do not mind that. Some color sounds good to my ears. There was a time when I looked for neutral. That time has passed. :p

Very true. But it would certainly come in handy when I order a retina MacBook Pro next year along with the new Haswell micro architecture. :wink:

Good to know. I find that there is very little difference between the headphone jack on my computer and my Grace m903 when using my Audio-Technica cans. As much as I love my m903, the difference in sound is very minimal. Perhaps my listening skills just aren't up to par. But I think it's more because these headphones are made to sound good without any special amp.

not mine, but i would have to agree on that frequency graph (the one from russia website) how the 1R sounds. the 1R is for consumers, not a flagship in any way IMO, so it should sound great even if it is unamped.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,058 of 2,773
Quote:

not mine, but i would have to agree on that frequency graph (the one from russia website) how the 1R sounds. the 1R is for consumers, not a flagship in any way IMO, so it should sound great even if it is unamped.

Yea, I understand that it isn't to be compared with an HD800 or anything of that sort. But might the 1R be Sony's current flagship? If they have one at all. It looks like the SA5000 was discontinued. I am looking for consumer level, to be honest. But hopefully still with nice clarity and soundstage. In a week I will know! :D

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,060 of 2,773
finally.. burn in process
popcorn.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,061 of 2,773
Yea, I understand that it isn't to be compared with an HD800 or anything of that sort. But might the 1R be Sony's current flagship? If they have one at all. It looks like the SA5000 was discontinued. I am looking for consumer level, to be honest. But hopefully still with nice clarity and soundstage. In a week I will know! :D

1R be Sony's new flagship?

I agree it is very stylish. But I just give it to my sister after 1 week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back