Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,021 of 2,773
Quote:
I have to say that these are good, but it's no audiophile grade sound.  It has the modern mid bass heavy & forward sound.  It's not my favorite sound signature.  I hope I will get like it more with time, but that is my impression so far.  I can say that at this time, I like the Z1000/7520 a lot more.

I left them burning for 25-30 more hours and I agree with you.They have nice soundstage and imaging,good detail,and grain free sound,but their tuning is not so right to my ears,midrange is coloured and the sound is too warm in general,and lacks a bit of treble presence.
I even think that my krk kns 6400 has a better balance and timbre to the sound,which is at the 1/2 of the price.

I love their design and built though,and I'll give them some more time of burn in,but I really doubt that this tonality will change.I don't think it has a bad sound,I just find it a bit wrong.
But I believe that many people will like them,anyway.But it is not the sound signature I consider as reference like anyway,I expected something different.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,022 of 2,773
Quote:
Here is the deal. I would say this phone is one you have to break in first before hearing their true qualities. I would burn them in for a good 100 hours. Yes it is a forward signature and you have to a be a fan of this type of signature but for me what I am hearing now these get you close to your music and what is not to like about that..

I think for the price I payed for them these sound great..I take them for what they are. If I wanted these to sound like another headphone. I would have no issues buying that said headphone. I suppose comparisons will be inevitable but at the same time it seems guys are not hearing these the way they were meant to be heard..Break them in first. Then take a good listen. Music sound wonderful on them. And at the end if they still don't sound good to you. By all means do what you gotta do..

From my experience burn in helps somewhat but never performs miracles and the most drastic change occurs in a first couple hours. Pink noise can speed things up.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #1,023 of 2,773
Thinking about picking up a 1R. Reviews seem pretty mixed so far. How's the sound signature? I prefer forward mids like on my A-T W5000 and AD2000. And clarity? Thanks!

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #1,024 of 2,773
Are you guys using yours with an amp? I'm gonna try mine on the Cary Nighthawk that I still have from my review. That amp seems to pair well with mordern mid-Fi headphones like the AKG K550. I'll report back on how the 1R sounds on it.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,025 of 2,773
Quote:
Are you guys using yours with an amp? I'm gonna try mine on the Cary Nighthawk that I still have from my review. That amp seems to pair well with mordern mid-Fi headphones like the AKG K550. I'll report back on how the 1R sounds on it.

I personally bought it for portable use,and I don't really care that much,how it will sound out of an amp,to be honest.But maybe I'll give it a listen out of my xcan v8 sometime too see how it sounds.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,026 of 2,773
Quote:

Please do, lack of amplification can be the key to mixed opinions on the phone. I know it was always the case for AKG K271S.
BTW, Russian review site measured them averaging 32Ohm instead of speced 24Ohm

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,027 of 2,773
I'm actually looking to get rid of my Grace m903 DAC/amp if I can find efficient enough headphones that sound good without a dedicated amp. My AD2000 sounds pretty good. I need an adaptor for my W5000 to try it ampless. I am hoping the 1R might sound great without a dedicated amp and that maybe I'll even want to sell my W5000 in addition to the Grace m903. 

Not unhappy with my W5000 at all. I've thought about selling it before but always go back to it. Just looking to make my setup a bit more modest. Why? I don't know. :p

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,028 of 2,773
I'm still trying to figure out, once I save up, if I want the 1R or the NC :p

I wasn't as keen on the NC sound but I really don't have any NC phones and it seems like it would be useful in a few cases.

I recently got a pair of TMA-1 Studios so it will be an interesting comparo.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #1,029 of 2,773
The Cary Nighthawk is an excellent amp for modern mid-fi headphones.  I unpacked it so I could try the 1R on it. The sound is significantly improved with slightly more details and bass control.  The mid bass bump and forward sound signature is still apparent.  It's not a bad thing if you like that "fuller" sound.  I just find that modern day mid-fi sound not to my liking.  I like a little more fidelity.  It's kinda sad that more and more trusted brands making headphones with this type of sound signature.

Comfort is very high and the styling is sexy.  I like it enough to keep it around.  I will give it more ear time and report back with more findings.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,030 of 2,773
Quote:

It wasn't a direct comparison, just a comment that I like the Z1000/7520 sound signature more than the 1R at this time.

This was really helpful for me.

I personally loved the Z1000
I also love the German Maestro "house sound", and I know you are one of few members around here who are familiar (and I believe thoroughly enjoyed?) the GMPs.

This tells me I am probably going to agree with you on the R1 vs. Z1000 comparison if I did one.

I've lost serious interest in this headphone--but it still looks awesome and I'm sure it's still a great can for some people!

EDIT - Unless I have you mixed up with someone else?  I tend to do that
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,031 of 2,773
Nov 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #1,033 of 2,773
Quote:

This was really helpful for me.

I personally loved the Z1000
I also love the German Maestro "house sound", and I know you are one of few members around here who are familiar (and I believe thoroughly enjoyed?) the GMPs.

This tells me I am probably going to agree with you on the R1 vs. Z1000 comparison if I did one.

I've lost serious interest in this headphone--but it still looks awesome and I'm sure it's still a great can for some people!

EDIT - Unless I have you mixed up with someone else?  I tend to do that
cool.gif

Yes, I have two GMP headphones (MB Quart) in my collection.  They are gems for not a lot of money. 

And maybe some more ear time as well?  
wink.gif

Thanks for catching that.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #1,034 of 2,773
Quote:

Yes, I have two GMP headphones (MB Quart) in my collection.  They are gems for not a lot of money. 

QP805 on the head right now.

Talk about a bassy headphone! (not midbassy)

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #1,035 of 2,773

Sorry Katy B but these do not sound like you are in a 'room' and I guess when Benga wanted more bass they only lifted the mids and when Skream said they sounded sharp he killed the detail :wink:

Going off this clip we all should have bought BeyerDynamic DT770s
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZftrTodU0[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back