Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Feb 20, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #2,671 of 2,773
  So I just picked up a set of Momentums and was wondering if I should've picked up the 1Rs instead. From the descriptions I've read in this thread, it sounds like the two have similar sound signatures, but the Momentum beats the 1R in terms of detail, extension, and speed whereas the 1R has the edge in comfort and soundstage. Does that sound about right?

I felt like the soundstage on the Momentum was closed in and congested compared to the 1R. The Momentums were comfortable to me but the 1R was even more comfortable. The Momentum did sound more detailed. If you are interested in soundstage the akg k545 might be a good option for you. The k545 is pretty much a compact version of the k550, but with several improvements. They are supposed to have an even bigger soundstage than the 1R while also having tighter bass and slightly better detail. Not sure about the comfort though. 
 http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Closed-Back-Over-Ear-Headphones-Compatible/dp/B00FYM92KI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392874798&sr=8-1&keywords=k545
I have been considering selling my 1R and buying the k545.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #2,672 of 2,773
So I just picked up a set of Momentums and was wondering if I should've picked up the 1Rs instead. From the descriptions I've read in this thread, it sounds like the two have similar sound signatures, but the Momentum beats the 1R in terms of detail, extension, and speed whereas the 1R has the edge in comfort and soundstage. Does that sound about right?
I disagree with the statement that they have a similar sound signature.they're both pretty mainstream, don't you have some stores nearby where you can demo both?

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #2,673 of 2,773
Recently went to Best Buy and could try myself the MDR-1R with my Samsung Galaxy phone, they are loud and they give an amped flat sound, the mids were very loud and clear. The leather pads are, very comfortable and the drivers are not pointing straight to the ear.

But I felt disappointed when I saw that the headband was made of plastic and hollow just with some metallic paint in the surface. I had a previous experience with an oldest SONY model the MDR-V500, the earpiece that was hollow like the MDR-1R earpiece started breaking until it split in two parts.
frown.gif

I went back to Best Buy and found the same 1R headphones now in the discount basket the store places in the entrance, even the discount I was not really excited to get them.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #2,674 of 2,773
Today I tried out the Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R and the Shure SRH-840.

I liked the signature of the 1R the most, those forward mids really got me engaging in my music. The problems I had with them were: lack of detail, lack of air in the sound, too unrealistic sounding, too little bass and subbass for my taste.

Can someone recommend me a headphone that has the same signature of the 1R, only with those problems adressed? I have a maximum of 500 euro to spend out.

Mar 30, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #2,675 of 2,773
I just bought these cans yesterday for around $170 here in Dubai, $30 cheaper than the newer 10r's (which is around $200, depends on the store).. I was really surprised about the price, because it's cheaper than it's younger sibling, and it's a new pair. I got the brown and silver color.

Regarding with the sound of these headphones, it's quite good (how can I say,,,it's dark, & flat sounding), and for the price I paid for these set, I'm really satisfied. By the way, I'm not using any amp, just using my Xperia mobile & Neutron Music Player.

On a side note, 2 months prior, an electronics store here has sold quickly some 3 pairs of sennheiser momentums for around $220 only..damn it's cheap..
blink.gif

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2,676 of 2,773
  Today I tried out the Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R and the Shure SRH-840.

I liked the signature of the 1R the most, those forward mids really got me engaging in my music. The problems I had with them were: lack of detail, lack of air in the sound, too unrealistic sounding, too little bass and subbass for my taste.

Can someone recommend me a headphone that has the same signature of the 1R, only with those problems adressed? I have a maximum of 500 euro to spend out.

You're looking for closed portable headphones in particular? I would say the NAD HP50 is a good upgrade from the 1R, keeping the same relative flatness and improving on extension and detail especially. I've also heard good things about the Focal headphones and they seem like they'd be a similar signature but I've never heard any of them so I won't comment further.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,677 of 2,773

You're looking for closed portable headphones in particular? I would say the NAD HP50 is a good upgrade from the 1R, keeping the same relative flatness and improving on extension and detail especially. I've also heard good things about the Focal headphones and they seem like they'd be a similar signature but I've never heard any of them so I won't comment further.

No, it doesn't matter what kind of headphone it is, it needs to be atleast comfortable.

So the NAD has kind of the same signature (forward, thick mids, smooth treble and emphasized bass) like the 1R, only better extension and more refined overall?

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,678 of 2,773
  No, it doesn't matter what kind of headphone it is, it needs to be atleast comfortable.

So the NAD has kind of the same signature (forward, thick mids, smooth treble and emphasized bass) like the 1R, only better extension and more refined overall?

I don't own the NADs any longer so unfortunately I can't give a direct comparison, but I really liked the NADs based on their overall neutrality, warmth, slightly emphasized mids, and extension/detail. I'm not sure if you'll find the emphasized bass you're looking for but the bass was very quick and hit pretty hard, just not terribly "rumbly". You may find that you prefer it this way. The NADs were definitely my favorite closed headphone in the $300 and under bracket but I prefer a more neutral sound. I would say they're closer to an improved Momentum than the 1R but the two are not that dissimilar.

Hope someone else can chime in and either back me up on this comparison or counter me.

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #2,679 of 2,773
So I got a nice bonus at work and what better way than to blow it on some Sonys. I was actually gonna get the Momentums, and I magically did fit my ears in them however they were too dark so I went with the On Ear Momentum, which I like quite a bit and will be my portable phone. Are the 1r's also dark? I currently have the ZX700 and I love it, just wish it had a tad bit more sub-bass. I've also heard the 1R had a great soundstage. That and it's comfortability is what is drawing me to them as an around the house headphone and the option of portability is cool too. Anywho, are these a big enough upgrade over the ZX700? Or should I just get the MA900 since these would be mostly used at home.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #2,680 of 2,773
Just bought second hand an MDR 1R MK1 in mint condition. The thing is: the headband creaking is totally non-existent
you can hear no creaking at all. It was given with an xperia Z purchase to the original owner, but he didn't use it at all,  so it's not modded.
However the display model in my town's media markt has a hell of a creaking, so I think this is just the product of  Sony's terrible QA rather than an overal bad design
The jack rattle is there though.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #2,682 of 2,773
I've owned many headphones ranging from M50s,Logitech UE 6000, creative aurvana, beyer 1350 and M4U 2. However all of them gave me comfort issues where i couldnt wear for more than 30+ minutes.

The Sony MDR 1r are AMAZING headphones.
Considering these are around 170 dollars on Amazon that's quite a steal. I've spend 300 dollars on M4Us and they dont even come close in comfort compared to the MDR 1rs.

my first thoughts on the headphones

If comfort and looks matter to you then these headphones ARE for YOU.
THE MOST COMFORTABLE HEADPHONE IVE EVER WORN.
Literally can wear 4 hours + without any strain at all.. Considering i'm a very sensitive person to headphones where I can barely wear them for over half an hour, these are amazing!

As far as sound goes, right out of the boxing it's a bit disappointing. But once you "burn" in they sound a lot better. Especially after the dynamat mod as well. the bass sounds more refined and sharp. Very spacious headphones with great sound stage. great mids headphones.

However personally I liked the sound from logitech ue 6000 to be a bit better since they are more forward due to them being open headphones but these are closed headphones and they barely leak compared to the 6000s.

Also the headphones sounds a lot better with an equalizer since they are a bit light on bass but that's fixable with a equalizer.

I usually dont write recommendations but these headphones astounded me so much that I'd make a post on head-fi to recommend it to others.
I would highly recommend this headphone.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2,683 of 2,773
  I've owned many headphones ranging from M50s,Logitech UE 6000, creative aurvana, beyer 1350 and M4U 2. However all of them gave me comfort issues where i couldnt wear for more than 30+ minutes.

The Sony MDR 1r are AMAZING headphones.
Considering these are around 170 dollars on Amazon that's quite a steal. I've spend 300 dollars on M4Us and they dont even come close in comfort compared to the MDR 1rs.

If comfort and looks matter to you then these headphones ARE for YOU.
THE MOST COMFORTABLE HEADPHONE IVE EVER WORN.
Literally can wear 4 hours + without any strain at all.. Considering i'm a very sensitive person to headphones where I can barely wear them for over half an hour, these are amazing!

totally agree with the comfort statement. These are legit the MOST comfortable portable closed headphones on the market. Slanted drivers in earcup to give your ears more clearance, roomy earcups, swivel mech, light design, and comfy pleather padding. Haven't had another pair of headphones match the MDR-1R's comfort.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #2,684 of 2,773
Yeah I remember when I had my 1Rs they were super super comfy. They are still to this day the only cans I can fall asleep wearing.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #2,685 of 2,773
This is what I have posted on the MDR-1RMK2 thread.

I have had a chance to test and listen to the MDR-1R and the MDR1-RMK2, to my ears the MDR-1RMK2 has a deeper bass and a bit more sub bass when compared to the MDR-1R. Its not on the same level as my V-Moda M-100 but it close.

This is my finding and other people will have different views to me, but I am very happy with the overall sound of the MDR-1RMK2.

I carried out some Impedance measurements between the two and here are my findings (these measurements were taken using the stock cable).

The Multimeter I used is a calibrated Fluke 77

MDR-1RMK2

Left Channel: 26.1 ohms

Right Channel: 26.4 ohms

MDR-1R

Left Channel: 45.9 ohms

Right Channel 45.9 ohms

So it looks like the MDR-1RMK2 has different coils in the driver or it is a completely new driver for this updated version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back