Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Aug 18, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2,701 of 2,773
First time poster, but long time reader. I pretty much want these headphones the sound signature and comfory is there; however, I won't fork over 180 for these cans if they have QC issues. Have the jack rattle and creaking issues resolved or should I pass?

I receieved them new from Amazon and I did not get the creaking problem. If you buy them from Amazon and you do get the creaking problem, Amazon has a great return policy where you can either get a free replacement or a full refund with free shipping.

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #2,704 of 2,773
Sep 23, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #2,705 of 2,773
Anyone explain why vocals seem so veiled and distant/hollow and to add to my confusion only on some tracks but to some degree on all and then on occasion not at all on others. I know - not consistent !! I keep checking my source to see if the cable is inserted properly or loose. After a week of burn-in I was beginning to enjoy these but the vocal hollowness is not something I could get used too. I intended doing the Dynamat mod ( as I've done it to my Denons in the past ) but I'm not sure if I should just sell then on while there still new and unscathed ! I don't really want to though as I've decided I really like them physically despite the plasticy-ness of them, they still feel like a slick quality product overall.! Oh what to do. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #2,706 of 2,773
Anyone explain why vocals seem so veiled and distant/hollow and to add to my confusion only on some tracks but to some degree on all and then on occasion not at all on others. I know - not consistent !! I keep checking my source to see if the cable is inserted properly or loose. After a week of burn-in I was beginning to enjoy these but the vocal hollowness is not something I could get used too. I intended doing the Dynamat mod ( as I've done it to my Denons in the past ) but I'm not sure if I should just sell then on while there still new and unscathed ! I don't really want to though as I've decided I really like them physically despite the plasticy-ness of them, they still feel like a slick quality product overall.! Oh what to do. 

Maybe because you were used to your prior headphones? The veil you're referring to is due to the treble roll off and the emphasis on upper bass and lower mids, so it has a thicker sound to the vocals (some would say muddy), I like this as it's less shrill and combined with the comfort it makes for a relaxed listen. I like these I do, but I too feel that the cheap plastic is a bit of a let down. They're not the last word in clarity but they are still impressively detailed (given the sound signature) and I like the open sound, but instrument separation and layering is surprisingly not great given the the width and height of the stage. I preferred these to the momentum for the longest time, alas the earpads on the momentum have gotten a little roomier with use and softer so it's still a snug fit but bearable now and the sound is similar although more defined and textured on the Momentum with impressive imaging and layering, plus the bass extension is better. I'm still a sony fanboy tho so I hope they keep making better and better headphones

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,707 of 2,773
Maybe because you were used to your prior headphones? The veil you're referring to is due to the treble roll off and the emphasis on upper bass and lower mids, so it has a thicker sound to the vocals (some would say muddy), I like this as it's less shrill and combined with the comfort it makes for a relaxed listen. I like these I do, but I too feel that the cheap plastic is a bit of a let down. They're not the last word in clarity but they are still impressively detailed (given the sound signature) and I like the open sound, but instrument separation and layering is surprisingly not great given the the width and height of the stage. I preferred these to the momentum for the longest time, alas the earpads on the momentum have gotten a little roomier with use and softer so it's still a snug fit but bearable now and the sound is similar although more defined and textured on the Momentum with impressive imaging and layering, plus the bass extension is better. I'm still a sony fanboy tho so I hope they keep making better and better headphones

Yeah to my ears the vocals on my old Denons's are flawless and I've been using them for 6 years or so. I was concerned I was so used to their sound sig that I could never like any other headphone.  I have a lot of earbuds and iem's too and basically vocals all seem 'normal' to me  in comparison to the 1R's. On the positive side I have a wide range of interests in music including electronic trance , classical , movie soundtracks , all of which don't have vocals and what I hear there is great, really great. The sound reminds me of strong powerful speakers. Sometimes I'm going like 'wow that was good'. I have been burning these in every day and I swear they are so much better than they were when I got them, like hugely so. I am hearing plenty extra detail in music I didn't hear before especially noticeable in electronic music. That I really like. I don't think the vocal representation is gonna change though. I will do the dynamat mod eventually and maybe that may affect the vocals positively. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,708 of 2,773

Yeah to my ears the vocals on my old Denons's are flawless and I've been using them for 6 years or so. I was concerned I was so used to their sound sig that I could never like any other headphone.  I have a lot of earbuds and iem's too and basically vocals all seem 'normal' to me  in comparison to the 1R's. On the positive side I have a wide range of interests in music including electronic trance , classical , movie soundtracks , all of which don't have vocals and what I hear there is great, really great. The sound reminds me of strong powerful speakers. Sometimes I'm going like 'wow that was good'. I have been burning these in every day and I swear they are so much better that they were when I got them, like hugely so. I am hearing plenty extra detail in music I didn't hear before especially noticeable in electronic music. That I really like. I don't think the vocal representation is gonna change though. I will do the dynamat bod eventually and maybe that may affect the vocals positively. 

..yes, I completely agree with your statement. I mainly listen to trance and other atmospheric/electronic music and I find that the 1R is really the best so far with that type of music..

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2,709 of 2,773
i had the mdr-1r for like 2 years now, used them mostly from portable devices, also on my violectric v200 and burson conductor, but wasn't impressed at all to say the least

a couple of days ago i got a 2011 woo audio wa6-se maxed edition

plugged in the sonys and i was instantly left speechless
eek.gif

WOW these cans are totl !!!
smily_headphones1.gif
aka this amp does magic with them !!!

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2,710 of 2,773
hey you guys know if there is a new thread around here for the new sony mdr-1ra? curious how the sound compares with the old mdr-1rs. the comfort of the mdr-1r design is amazing, so quite interested.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2,712 of 2,773
  i had the mdr-1r for like 2 years now, used them mostly from portable devices, also on my violectric v200 and burson conductor, but wasn't impressed at all to say the least

a couple of days ago i got a 2011 woo audio wa6-se maxed edition

plugged in the sonys and i was instantly left speechless 
eek.gif

WOW these cans are totl !!! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 aka this amp does magic with them !!!

pffffffffff that amp seems to cost over a thousand dollars. It should make everything sound amazing at that price :)

I'm debating if I should get a new Cowon player to help these cans along as my previous Cowons have bitten the dust. I loved my old D2 and X5. I'm only interested in portable and cumbersome-less use , which means no amp although I do have a lil C&C BH I bought to use with the Colorfly C3. I never got round to buying the C3 as I have a sneaking suspicion I would prefer a Cowon especially with 1R's to achieve a more V shaped sound signature. I currently use a Zune HD with them but I have to turn it up to almost top volume to get a satisfying sound and it does't have a custom equalizer either although it's not too bad on flat at all.

Can anyone report how a cowon player gels with these cans before I pull the trigger on a new Cowon M2 ? I don't want any alternatives that require an amp.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,713 of 2,773
i was not impressed by the d2+ i still have, like really thin and overall unpleasant signature, , and what i meant in the previous post is that the mdr-1r deserve an amp and a good match too, when i first read hertsens post HERE i was like, hm is he serious, these cans are so boring !?!

so basically i would go for a portable amp and use that with whatever device you already got as a portable source, like an smartphone plus portable amp etc.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #2,714 of 2,773
  i was not impressed by the d2+ i still have, like really thin and overall unpleasant signature, , and what i meant in the previous post is that the mdr-1r deserve an amp and a good match too, when i first read hertsens post HERE i was like, hm is he serious, these cans are so boring !?!

so basically i would go for a portable amp and use that with whatever device you already got as a portable source, like an smartphone plus portable amp etc.

Yes I could see why one would say that about the boring-ness but I feel the cowon with it's custom equalizer and enhancements would fix that for me. From memory my D2 went approx 20% louder than all my other sources thus for me, excluding the need for an amp. BTW I can't identify whatsoever with your comments about your previous D2+. It must have been faulty or I'm not spending enough on my equipment : ). Oh actually - would you be interested in selling your D2+ ( to me  ) since you find it so unpleasant ? : ) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back