Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,641 of 2,773
  Before i got the MDR-1R's i was planning on getting the M100's, however after christmas the amazon price went from 180-270 (which i think is disgusting) and getting the from america will cost 250 due to duties, shipping and tax. The momentums are 230 on amazon

@OliHobs, if you were talking about stuffing the MDR-1R earpads b/c of comfort issues, I am sorry to tell you that the MDR-1R was the most comfortable pair of headphones out of the M-named-headphone trio: Momentum, M100, MDR-1R. hahah & I've owned all of em at the same time.

M100 have ridiculously shallow stock earpads that gives you maybe 14-15mm clearance. I had discomfort after 30 minutes using stock earpads. you will need the $20 XL pads for sure if you go that route. The Momentums Over-ears have tiny ear-cup diameter, so they actually fit ON-ear in real life for most people & you get the typical on-ear type discomfort from clamping ontop of your ears (tho the Momentums are not bad w/ real leather & their feather-light weight).

The drivers of the MDR-1R are actually slanted to give the back of your ears 22mm of clearance, so try moving the headphones forward to see if that helps. honestly, most portable over-ear designs give less clearance than the mdr-1r. I personally found the mdr-1r to be one of the most comfortable pair of portable over-ear headphones that i've tried. you will need to measure your ear protrusion from your head & figure out how many mm of depth you need. over 20mm is uncommon for portable closed headphones.

I haven't tried the Visio HP50, but I hear good things about it comfortwise. you will need to look up the actual earcup dimensions to see if it gives you more than 22mm of depth. also the akg k545 is another option if you are looking for portable. otherwise, you can go for the really big fullsized non-portable over ears such as the akg k550 or open options like the beyer dt880/990, akg k701/702/q701, or the sennheiser hd600/650. I really like my open HE400s with giant earcups, but planar magnetics are heavy, so it wouldn't be my first rec to someone worried about comfort issues.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,642 of 2,773
  There are probably more comfort concerns with the Momentums than there are with the 1R, but it's also a very personal and specific thing to each individual. Just something you should take into consideration.

I think the comfort issues with the momentums are mostly just the size, some ears do not fit inside. I will check this over and see if my ears are too big but when it comes to fabric and softness it does not make a huge effect on me, i own a few turtle beach headphones with quite hard earcups that are fine for me, the problem i have with the comfort of the mdr-1r's was with my ear touching solid plastic.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2,643 of 2,773
@money4me247 Thanks for the advise. I think that the biggest problem i had with the mdr-1r's was that i could feel the hard plastic at the top of my right ear and i couldnt stop thinking about it, however i believe on the vmoda's and the momentums they have soft padding on the inside and if my ears touch they will both touch and it will not be hard.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #2,644 of 2,773
OliHobs said:
. I have decided that, to be honest, i did not spend £190 on a pair of headphones that i need to stuff with tissue/cotton wool so that they are comfortable, so i am going to return them and buy a different pair. Any suggestions? right now the senhieser momentum's are at the top of my list

If you have problems with the Sony, don't even bother with V-moda M-100, Sennheiser Momentum or NAD VISO. You need something bigger, and probably not that portable.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,645 of 2,773

@money4me247 Thanks for the advise. I think that the biggest problem i had with the mdr-1r's was that i could feel the hard plastic at the top of my right ear and i couldnt stop thinking about it, however i believe on the vmoda's and the momentums they have soft padding on the inside and if my ears touch they will both touch and it will not be hard.

If you have problems with the Sony, don't even bother with V-moda M-100, Sennheiser Momentum or NAD VISO. You need something bigger, and probably not that portable.

+1 on Ashade's advice. @OliHobs, the MDR-1R's ear cup depth AND diameter are much larger than both the Momentum & the M100. If you are having issues w/ the MDR-1R, you will most likely have issues with both of those as well. I have never tried the Visio so I don't really know about em.

The M100 does have XL pads if you want to try it, but I believe those pads clock out 20ish-mm depth & the M100 earcup width/height is much less than the MDR-1R with plastic in the interior earcup. I believe the majority of over-ear headphones are like that actually, so it's really an issue of finding larger diameter of earcups for your specific complaint. I believe the AKG K550/K545 has the largest earcup diameter out of all closed headphones, so maybe look into those.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,646 of 2,773

I have watched many many reviews and where Tyll (innerfidelity on youtube) mentioned the shallow ear cups on the mdr-1r's and i have seen people saying how their ears touch i have never seen or heard a reviewer talk about this problem with other headphones such as the ones you have mentioned. Just to clarify, the general comfort of the mdr-1r's was amazing, it was purely the fact i could not stop thinking about how i could feel the plastic. (i also got my brother to see if it happend for him and it did, and we both do not have large ears)

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #2,647 of 2,773
I have watched many many reviews and where Tyll (innerfidelity on youtube) mentioned the shallow ear cups on the mdr-1r's and i have seen people saying how their ears touch i have never seen or heard a reviewer talk about this problem with other headphones such as the ones you have mentioned. Just to clarify, the general comfort of the mdr-1r's was amazing, it was purely the fact i could not stop thinking about how i could feel the plastic. (i also got my brother to see if it happend for him and it did, and we both do not have large ears)

I mean, of the four headphones we are talking about, the most comfortable one is the Sony by a LARGE margin. The V-moda are just unwereable. Maybe with the XL pads this has improved, but I highly doubt they are more comfortable than the Sony. I spent three months with them. The Momentum has even smaller cups. They fitted me better and they were more comfortable buy my ears are tiny. With the NADs the problem is that your ears touch the drivers and it hurts after 15 min (again, with my tiny ears). These are all well known comfort problems among the forum. Just buy an let us know.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2,648 of 2,773
I mean, of the four headphones we are talking about, the most comfortable one is the Sony by a LARGE margin. The V-moda are just unwereable. Maybe with the XL pads this has improved, but I highly doubt they are more comfortable than the Sony. I spent three months with them. The Momentum has even smaller cups. They fitted me better and they were more comfortable buy my ears are tiny. With the NADs the problem is that your ears touch the drivers and it hurts after 15 min (again, with my tiny ears). These are all well known comfort problems among the forum. Just buy an let us know.

Yeah i guess we'll see, so many choices though.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2,650 of 2,773
  I think the comfort issues with the momentums are mostly just the size, some ears do not fit inside. I will check this over and see if my ears are too big but when it comes to fabric and softness it does not make a huge effect on me, i own a few turtle beach headphones with quite hard earcups that are fine for me, the problem i have with the comfort of the mdr-1r's was with my ear touching solid plastic.

Ahh. The plastic inside. Gotcha. Well the Momentum will probably be fine because, as much as Sennheiser like to say they are full-sized cans, they simply are not. I don't think I've read one post where someone was able to make them fit circumaurally, which sounds like it will be a good thing for you. No reason not to try. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #2,651 of 2,773

hahah welllll... I have owned all 3 headphones & measured all the earcup dimensions... and I can tell you for a fact that the Sony MDR-1Rs are the most comfortable headphones out of those three based on my personal experience & measuring the all the dimensions. here is a thread with some measurements that may be helpful for you: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones

the m100 were about 14-15mm deep without XL pads. 20ish i think w/ the XL pads.

the mdr-1r has pretty deep depth due to their slant to 22mm. the front is a bit shallower though. the average earcup depth from my experience is lik 16-18mm, so i imagine it'll be hard to find a more comfortable pair. the only other closed pair of headphones I can think about that have bigger diameter is the akg k550 (closed nonportable) and k545 (closed portable), so that would be my recommendation for you. maybe it would be helpful to try measuring out your ears too to see what kind of earcup size would suit you to screen out headphones.

you shouldn't waste your time with the M100 or the Momentums if the MDR-1Rs were uncomfy for you though. real talk. those are worse in the comfort department for sure. i've been through most of the closed mid-fi portable selection minus some of the newer headphones. perhaps the b&w p7 over ear could be comfy for you, but i personally don't think they are worth the extra $100.

i personally find on-ears a lot worse than over-ears.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,652 of 2,773
  hahah welllll... I have owned all 3 headphones & measured all the earcup dimensions... and I can tell you for a fact that the Sony MDR-1Rs are the most comfortable headphones out of those three based on my personal experience & measuring the all the dimensions. here is a thread with some measurements that may be helpful for you: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones

the m100 were about 14-15mm deep without XL pads. 20ish i think w/ the XL pads.

the mdr-1r has pretty deep depth due to their slant to 22mm. the front is a bit shallower though. the average earcup depth from my experience is lik 16-18mm, so i imagine it'll be hard to find a more comfortable pair. the only other closed pair of headphones I can think about that have bigger diameter is the akg k550 (closed nonportable) and k545 (closed portable), so that would be my recommendation for you. maybe it would be helpful to try measuring out your ears too to see what kind of earcup size would suit you to screen out headphones.

you shouldn't waste your time with the M100 or the Momentums if the MDR-1Rs were uncomfy for you though. real talk. those are worse in the comfort department for sure. i've been through most of the closed mid-fi portable selection minus some of the newer headphones. perhaps the b&w p7 over ear could be comfy for you, but i personally don't think they are worth the extra $100.

i personally find on-ears a lot worse than over-ears.

yup agreed..i did try out few of those pairs and found that i'm most comfortable on mdr-1r. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2,653 of 2,773
Managed to find i store where i could test a few headphones such as the momentums (over ear), akg k550 and the b and w p5's. My ears did fit inside the momentums, however my right ear was squashed and not comfortable at all so i'm not going to be getting them. I dislike the sound on the akg, it seemed as though it was really far away (probably due to its large soundstage). I did however like the sound of the P5 so i will keep those in consideration (hopefully i will get a chance to try the P7 sometime).

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2,654 of 2,773
I really need to keep away from this thread as the temptation to buy another pair of 1Rs is too much... 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2,655 of 2,773
Managed to find i store where i could test a few headphones such as the momentums (over ear), akg k550 and the b and w p5's. My ears did fit inside the momentums, however my right ear was squashed and not comfortable at all so i'm not going to be getting them. I dislike the sound on the akg, it seemed as though it was really far away (probably due to its large soundstage). I did however like the sound of the P5 so i will keep those in consideration (hopefully i will get a chance to try the P7 sometime).

I share ur pain m8. Tried 3 different momentums and i had bad seal and fit on the right side. Really loved the passive agresrive sound of the momentum. I have the 1r right n now and althoug they are confortable the type of signature is not for me. I can only tlike the with the rock eq on my itouch but still the 1rs are nowhere near the resolution and refinememt od mhe momentums. Also the 1rs have a couple of issues. The jack rattle is easy to fix but the creaking noise on the hinger of the cups cn be a bit annoying on low volumes imo.

I really wanted a lifestyle over ear but i might go for the amperiors... They are cheap now and the sq on my hd25s is not very far from the momentums so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back