Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 17, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #2,041 of 2,773
Quote:
I used to tweak the sub-bass by +5db @ 30hz. That made the MDR1r a more fun sounding can. Now that I have a FiiO E11, pairing it with iTouch 5gen on Rock EQ setting seems to be the best configuration for me.

I also had the impression it needs only very little EQ-ing to make bass better, so I mostly forget about it.

@a_recording:

Difficult to say... my impression also was, that the closed earcup was a major reason for an uncomfortable sonic bass pressure (if being upped). It was better on open headphones. This might be an issue on many closed headphones though.

The Sony MDR wasn't my first stop - but if I had a choice I might have chosen a Sennheiser Momentum, VModa, Ath-M50, Creative Aurvana Live, Beyerdynamic Custom Pro instead - however my difficult ears didn't allow that. If you have small ears I recommend you to try out these other phones.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #2,044 of 2,773
Quote:
Made in Thailand :-/ (this almost turned me off somehow...)

I believe most Sony headphones are made in Thailand. Someone confirm?

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #2,045 of 2,773
In terms of EQing, I know a lot of people are doing it. My experience with is I'm having a much more fun time without any EQ at all. These cans are set to be general, fun, and not taken too seriously, so I'm letting them do just that. When I want to be serious, analytical, and detailed (and I think I'm starting to consider myself a detail whore overall) and I'm at work, I grab my Shure SRH940 instead. It does make sense to tweak it slightly if you don't have that option, though.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,046 of 2,773
Quote:
oh snap maybe they do! i only have the mdr 1r BT and they definitely do not need them

It'll depend. The MDR-1Rs have a support ring, whilst the BT doesn't (weird, I actually thought I uploaded these pix before but obviously not) :-

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,047 of 2,773
Quote:

It'll depend. The MDR-1Rs have a support ring, whilst the BT doesn't (weird, I actually thought I uploaded these pix before but obviously not) :-

That's a really interesting comparison picture there. I didn't think there'd be much difference in the internal cup design between the standard 1R and the BT. I mean it look as if the drivers are angled differently. Yeah, interesting.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2,049 of 2,773
So how do you take 1R pads off, apparently there are some locking tabs?
Yep. Starting with the two 3 pm & 9 pm locking tabs first if memory serves me correctly.

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,050 of 2,773
Quote:
Yep. Starting with the two 3 pm & 9 pm locking tabs first if memory serves me correctly.

Yep, that worked, thanks a bunch.
All you need is insert some thin plastic spatula to unlock one of them (9 or 3 o'clock), the rest come off w/o problem.

Quote:
Quote:

Looking at the other photos in that link it strikes me that just like the Z1000 the MDR-1R has no damping material behind the driver whatsoever. This is odd considering it's plastic?

Hmm modding opportunity...

The other conclusion could be: the MDR-1R driver begins to distort at low frequencies once EQ'ed with more bass (exactly like the Z1000 does) and the THD is fatiguing your ears.

I think that is more likely considering that the Momentum is almost ruler flat to 20hz and doesn't give people headaches.

You mean something like this?
tongue.gif
Had some Extreme Dynamat leftovers lying around after Denon D5000 modding.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2,051 of 2,773
Quote:
Yep, that worked, thanks a bunch.
All you need is insert some thin plastic spatula to unlock one of them (9 or 3 o'clock), the rest come off w/o problem.

You mean something like this?
tongue.gif
Had some Extreme Dynamat leftovers lying around after Denon D5000 modding.

And I really, really like the effect. Not a drastic transformation, but tightened up a bit loose bass and cleared mids. I also feel that sub bass went up quite a bit, they have some serious hard slam now, but as I don't have a second pair to do proper A/B take that with a grain of salt.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,052 of 2,773
Quote:
In terms of EQing, I know a lot of people are doing it. My experience with is I'm having a much more fun time without any EQ at all. These cans are set to be general, fun, and not taken too seriously, so I'm letting them do just that. When I want to be serious, analytical, and detailed (and I think I'm starting to consider myself a detail whore overall) and I'm at work, I grab my Shure SRH940 instead. It does make sense to tweak it slightly if you don't have that option, though.

Same here. I experimented with a few EQ suggestions people made earlier in the thread, but I like the stock balance just fine.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #2,053 of 2,773
Quote:

what if I EQ it to make it more fun? When I boost the highest and lowest frequencies it really comes to life and makes listening a more enjoyable experience.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #2,054 of 2,773
So basicly what you do is to remove the sound signature of the headphone, it is a mid bass/mid can. There should be alot of V sounding headphones instead for ppl who do not like the sound sig sony uses.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2,055 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:

what if I EQ it to make it more fun? When I boost the highest and lowest frequencies it really comes to life and makes listening a more enjoyable experience.

Oh maybe I was misunderstood. I didn't post that to criticize anyone or direct people on what to do. I simply meant to share what my experience is with the particular topic or EQ'ing anything. If you're doing something to your EQ to make it more enjoyable for you, who am I to say that's wrong? If anything, I say go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back