Sony has a new player coming out also!!!/New Sony HDD Walkman Released; E600 Released
Sep 11, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #61 of 129
I don't think it's especially attractive, but then, I don't think iPods are either. I usually get tired of these "look at me" styles. But what really bothers me in this player is that it's the size of an iPod. Sony was always the leader in pocketability, and now they suddenly create a player that's bigger and heavier than their previous models for no obvious reason, and exactly when Apple is going the other way. Sony would still get my money over Apple for the simple reason that they cared to offer gapless playback, but they should justify this bigger size with more than new shuffle options. (And please, release bigger capacity versions.)

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #62 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluman
By the way the blue one on that pic seems a dummy, the real has more light colored buttons with backlight.

more photo
021gl.jpg

I dunno about you guys but I'm loving how freaking big that screen is.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #66 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot
Um, yeah. Because Apple doesn't do this. Yah.
rolleyes.gif
It's probably though, one of the reasons why I'd not buy a Sony product as well as an Apple one. Both do the same crap with their DAPs.

Surely you don't equate the two, or do you? Certainly all music stores have propriety DRM, and Apple created ALAC instead of using say FLAC (likely because of secure streaming of Airport Express), but the use of MP3 on the iPod from the beginning and adopting the open standard AAC along with opening to other OSs puts it ahead of Sonys history does it not? I'm welcoming Sony moves of late and hope to someday have the option of using one on my Mac, but Sonys ATRAC past (along with the codec itself) coupled with control of the player, distribution and owning artists (music and film) output is in another league, no? Don't mean to turn this into a Sony/Apple war, nor do I think we should keep our eyes closed to DRM and corp policies (including Apples), but it bugs me a bit to think of them as constantly (or at least twice on Head-Fi in the last 24 hours) being referred to as equals in the danger department.

Apple is only as agnostic as the dollar, but with its money coming from iPods, they're the one fighting several companies (including Sony Entertainment) trying to increase per track prices (or as an alternative fluctuating prices based on age). You decide who you want to trust, but a record company is not high up my list.

Back to the player, this looks interesting and if it sounds at all like my first impressions with the Sony NW-E507 on Friday (very nice and warm, though don't know if it would eventually turn buttery), looking forward to hearing it a some point.

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #69 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass
WOW. It looks amazing. Too bad it's gonna be expensive.

It's listed at the same price as what the HD5 was when it came out, so £200, or $300 (AFAIK, the american price may be higher than that)

Nice pics pluman, I still can't understand why sony would release a purple player though.....

Sep 12, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #71 of 129
IMO I think the Black 20gb looks pretty sweet. I still wouldnt trade my x5 for it, but if I hadn't purchased x5 yet, I'd def take this new player into consideration. I guess I'll just have to wait until someone gets their hands on a true working model and lets us know how the sound quality is.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #72 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Moose
. I guess I'll just have to wait until someone gets their hands on a true working model and lets us know how the sound quality is.
biggrin.gif

I'm working on it..

Sep 13, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #73 of 129
It looks really nice!
icon10.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #74 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spex
I'm working on it..

When you get your hands on this new player, can you also check whether it is possible to search by the first letter title or album starts with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back