Sony has a new player coming out also!!!/New Sony HDD Walkman Released; E600 Released
Sep 8, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #16 of 129
i think it looks pretty nice. the bump on the screen might make the screen hard to read. the Connect Player thing seems to have some sort of star ratings ala itunes. the player has star displays on it.

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #17 of 129
Judging by the connection interface, this player indeed looks like a well thought out product. I will not be getting rid off my (brand effing new, dammit) HD5 just yet but I am very much intrigued by this new player.

I like the fact that they have kept the very logical 4-way navigation interface and I am curious about that button-like feature at the top left corner. Less importantly, I guess, I also like the player's looks although I fear it is made entirely of plastic albeit the same high quality scratch resistant plastic the NW-E range is made of...

Regarding a comment made about the screen being difficult to read at direct sunlight, according to the marketing blurb, it is utilising an OEL screen which is much better than the usual LCD screens found in most players. I doubt this would be a problem but if someone owns an NW-E could probably confirm this.

Someone mentioned Sony misquoting battery life... In my experience, the HD5 lasts about 35 hours with ATRAC3+ @ 256 (Sony quotes 40 hours with ATRAC3+ @ 48, if I am not mistaken). I charge it once a week and I use it on a daily basis... Apple, on the other hand, has been sued over false battery life quotations ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3477497.stm ). Knowing Apple's past (a couple of years ago, here in England, they were told to stop TV advertising because they were claiming their G4 to be the fastest PC in the world when in actual fact it was slower that an AMD based IBM-compatible at half the price) I rarely believe them until proven otherwise.

Edit: It costs the same as the HD5: http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/Son...LEC-ODWNWAGB05

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #19 of 129
Will these fit in a Altoids case like the micro?
icon10.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #20 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spex
Sony UK Product News website has information about the new HD WALKMAN players.

I got my hands on a pre-production model yesterday and it looks fab. I've got a load of photos of the 20Gb unit. I've attached one to this message.

Well it sure looks nicer in your pic than any of the promo pictures...

Please post some more; thanks for the one you've already posted.
icon10.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #21 of 129
Can anyone please post the actual dimensions of the device. I like the comparison shot but I dunno the actual size of any of those players.

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #22 of 129
Yeah - I think mine are better too
wink.gif

The official Sony ones have a decal overlaid to show how the unit looks when it's active. I think the decal they have used makes the product look bad. The actual OEL display is much sharper and (in my opinion) stylish than the official pics imply.

I'm just checking out of a hotel, so no time to upload images here, but I have included some in a thread over at Atraclife.

I'll post some more here this evening. If anyone wants to grab the ones at ATRACLIFE and re-post here I'm happy for you to do it.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #24 of 129
Pretty nice actually, and drag and drop sounds pretty good. Nice to see sony listening to people about their mistakes. What's their product cycle though, <6 months?!?

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 129
When is this going to be available in the US?

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #27 of 129
Since when did Guru become a hand model for Sony?
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #28 of 129
Is it Macintosh compatible?

I have an iMac. I really like minidisc, but Sony's software isn't Mac compatible. I would consider buying a Sony flash player if it worked with my computer.

Jeffery

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #29 of 129
I like it.

Pros:
Supports ATRAC3plus at 320k (yay)
Size

COns:
Seems more "closed" than the Vaio Pocket or NW-HD5
Small HD - where's my 40GB version?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure if I'll get one as I loe my Vaio Pocket but I am intrigued.

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #30 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP
I like it.
Not sure if I'll get one as I loe my Vaio Pocket but I am intrigued.

I love my Vaio too, but I'll end up buying one of these. Why? It's out of my hands. I have no self control in these matters...

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back