Sony has a new player coming out also!!!/New Sony HDD Walkman Released; E600 Released
Sep 8, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #34 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP
Our SonyStyle is not listing it yet.

That's cos us Europeans are so advanced
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #36 of 129
The NW-A3000 looks like a nice unit. I am going to wait until I am able to read a few reports on sound quality, before considering purchasing one. Wish that Sony would release a 60GB DAP with gapless FLAC capabilities. That's what I am waiting for.
eggosmile.gif

Milan

Sep 9, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #39 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by carsncars
This is Sony's HD5 successor-- the A3000 and A1000. The A3000 is their 20Gb player......About the same size as the HD5, but kind of rounded off-- Rio Carbon-esque. Very nice, IMO. And-- get this-- it has 50 hour battery life! No longer user-replaceable, if I read correct though. My Japanese isn't great. =__=''

Oh-- it has an FM Tuner as well. Is Sony finally seeing the light? =D

Hey carsncars are you sure the 50 hour battery life and FM Tuner are for the A3000 and not the flash player? Because thats what I had read elsewhere. My Japanese consists of one swear word so I can't do anything with that link.
Would be cool if what you are saying is true though and would help to offset the loss of replaceable battery and larger dimensions that this player seems to be coming with after the HD5. In these early days of limited/zero specs any info is very welcome.
hh

Sep 9, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #40 of 129
Hmm.. I might be mistaken. The FM Tuner part I'm iffy on, but I'm sure I saw the 50 hours on one of the JPN News sites. I could be wrong-- my kanji isn't quite there yet. Sorry for getting hopes up-- but I believe 40 hours at least with ATRAC3 is realistic. If you're looking around, FM Tuner in kana is 'FMチュナー'. The E400/500/600 have FM Tuner/50 hour battery life-- I thought maybe Sony spread the feature, but again-- my Japanese is still a WIP.
tongue.gif

[EDIT] Looks like I got my pronoun agreement wrong-- the A3000 features the same quick-charge feature, but Sony has neglected to state the battery life. It probably isn't quite production-ready yet. No FM Tuner, I don't think... Sony plans to add 'WMA support'-- I hope they mean straight playback. I'm not sure whether this includes DRM'd WMA, but I kind of doubt it.

Ah-- and according to the JPN forums I've been reading, although its dimensions don't look to good on paper, the rounded shape makes it feel much smaller than it is. Apparently it really isn't very photogenic-- looks much better in real life.

Here's another picture. I'm not sure whether this is the A1000 or 3000... Sony could differentiate them a bit more, IMO. I think they're building on the popularity of the E500-- that's where all these new designs take there cue from, anyhow.

I wonder how bad this thing collects fingerprints/scratches. The E500 is bearable because it's small. I think Apple used even softer plastic on my new nano (is that possible?)... it's already got those fuzzy scratches.

dli1l4.jpg

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #41 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by carsncars
Hmm.. I might be mistaken. The FM Tuner part I'm iffy on, but I'm sure I saw the 50 hours on one of the JPN News sites. I could be wrong-- my kanji isn't quite there yet. Sorry for getting hopes up-- but I believe 40 hours at least with ATRAC3 is realistic. If you're looking around, FM Tuner in kana is 'FMチュナー'. The E400/500/600 have FM Tuner/50 hour battery life-- I thought maybe Sony spread the feature, but again-- my Japanese is still a WIP.
tongue.gif

[EDIT] Looks like I got my pronoun agreement wrong-- the A3000 features the same quick-charge feature, but Sony has neglected to state the battery life. It probably isn't quite production-ready yet. No FM Tuner, I don't think... Sony plans to add 'WMA support'-- I hope they mean straight playback. I'm not sure whether this includes DRM'd WMA, but I kind of doubt it.

Ah-- and according to the JPN forums I've been reading, although its dimensions don't look to good on paper, the rounded shape makes it feel much smaller than it is. Apparently it really isn't very photogenic-- looks much better in real life.

Here's another picture. I'm not sure whether this is the A1000 or 3000... Sony could differentiate them a bit more, IMO. I think they're building on the popularity of the E500-- that's where all these new designs take there cue from, anyhow.

I wonder how bad this thing collects fingerprints/scratches. The E500 is bearable because it's small. I think Apple used even softer plastic on my new nano (is that possible?)... it's already got those fuzzy scratches.

Thanks for the reply. wrote a longer post myself but this POS computer crashed and i lost it.
Does WMA support mean the possibility of WMA lossless? Or is that counted as something different?
That pic is of the A3000. At atraclife spex posted another where you can see the 20gb written on the back.
I suspect it may be extremely fingerprintable based on this photo from dapreview and the fat that that promo guy above was wearing a big ole glove while showing it off.
http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.2123
And for Xythe the specs are 21mm x 65mm x 105mm and 182g apparently.
Hopefully spex can answer our queries about gapless, eq, build quality, sound quality, battery life/replaceability etc.
And is it just me or is it really cool how the screen seems to disappear when the device is not on? (at least in photos)

Sep 9, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #43 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldpark
Oh yeah and why does this article seem to be talking about AAC and the itunes music store? Ya think it might support AAC also? or they just slagging off Apple.

AAC has been developed by Sony, Dolby, Nokia, Fraunhofer and a few others. I am actually very suprised that Sony hasn't used it yet and it's by no means an Apple branded codec.

Sep 9, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #44 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
AAC has been developed by Sony, Dolby, Nokia, Fraunhofer and a few others. I am actually very suprised that Sony hasn't used it yet and it's by no means an Apple branded codec.

Well you learn something new everyday it seems.
hh

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #45 of 129
I am new to this forum so please bear with me if I ask something everybody knows....do you know if this sony walkman has any limitations in regard to USB OTG? And , secondly, can you search the song by the first letter of the title or artist? Thanks for any information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back