Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Nov 4, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #466 of 1,768
Huh? All sound's movement by air mate. Could you elaborate what you mean?​

They use a constant internal air pressure to produce the bass by sucking in air from the top and storing it in the cups.

Their is an air pocket right behind the diaphragm I think.

The lower frequencies are not engineered to be higher in volume. The bass is almost mechanically driven so the track has to call for it.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #467 of 1,768
They use a constant internal air pressure to produce the bass by sucking in air from the top and storing it in the cups.

Their is an air pocket right behind the diaphragm I think.

The lower frequencies are not engineered to be higher in volume. The bass is almost mechanically driven so the track has to call for it.

OK, I give up: that just made me more confused. That is not how bass ports work: there's no 'constant' internal air pressure. That's actually what you don't want. The port is there to give drivers an easier time in moving air back and forth by getting air to move in behind the speaker when it pushes air toward your ear, and vice-versa.

The last sentence makes even less sense, I'm afraid. Of course the track has to have bass for your headphones to have bass, that's not what I'm concerned about. For the first part of the line, you mean the lower frequencies don't sound great at higher volumes?

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #469 of 1,768
  Reversed my sorbothane mod and wore my 100aaps on an 8 hour flight. They were magnificent. 

You see, I've been on this forum too much. I was under the impression that bass bloat was a bad thing and forgot that i actually liked, no loved bass bloat. Listening to these things on the way home with that bass and soundstage was like putting on a warm sweater. Very satisfying. 

I apologize Sony, for attempting to modify perfection.

At first I thought that the bass was a little boosted as well (but not bloated), but I've come to just love their voicing.  It's just about perfect to me.

I compared them to my M50's last night and it wasn't even close.  The 100AAP's are just in another league, and really are direct challengers to all of the $400 premium headphones!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #471 of 1,768
  Reversed my sorbothane mod and wore my 100aaps on an 8 hour flight. They were magnificent. 

How was the noise isolation during the flight? Did it reduce enough of the noise that you can enjoy the music? I'm thinking about getting this instead of a Bose noise cancellation headphone for a friend as a gift. Thanks.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #472 of 1,768
Just 4 more days. Then I will have the cash in my account and I am gonna order one of these. I have done enough research and oh well these are gonna be my first pair. My iPod is blue, so going for the viridian blue one.. The black looks classy though..

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #473 of 1,768
I pulled the trigger on a Pink Burdeaux pair. So far so good, haven't found the time to stop and listen and evaluate them as I've been on the go all day.

They feel dynamic, fast, open. Not sure yet if on par or below on clarity to the Momentum.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #476 of 1,768

They're so good, even my daughter approves!

Lovely pic Daejeon :)

Hey, I just returned the CAL!s for being too small for my ears. These days I learned that I have above average ears... 7.3 cm long :p
I really liked the CAL! sound. How do these MDR-100AAP compare in terms of sound and fit?

Can you please measure and post the inner size of the cups?

Thanks!

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #477 of 1,768

At first I thought that the bass was a little boosted as well (but not bloated), but I've come to just love their voicing.  It's just about perfect to me.

I compared them to my M50's last night and it wasn't even close.  The 100AAP's are just in another league, and really are direct challengers to all of the $400 premium headphones!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

As I've said before, Sony hit the ball right out of the damn park with these cans :)

They're so good, even my daughter approves!

She looks. . .um. . .very confused.  LOL.  How did you get her to pose so perfectly holding the Walkman and looking right at the camera?  LOL.  And of course, she is BEYOND precious, like seriously unbelievably adorable, OMG *gushes*
biggrin.gif

WOW so much hype over 100AAP.... :)

That's because for this price it really can't be beat, mate!  Like XERO1 was saying, this headphone is in the same price-class as the ATH-M50x, but absolutely KICKS THE LIVING CRAP out of the M50x in a side-by-side comparison from the same source with decent volume-matching.

Honestly I'd say it combines the strengths in terms of both build and sound, and a similar signature, that were exhibited by the MDR-1A (while eliminating most weaknesses) and the sonic strengths (in terms of detail and clarity, soundstage, etc., but not signature/frequency-response) of a headphone like the PSB M4U1.  In other words, it has a pleasantly warm signature with some level of non-overwhelming bass-boost that at the same time in no way sacrifices mids or highs in the process, while simultaneously getting rid of a good bit (not all, but a good bit) of the bass-bloom/bloat that was evident in the MDR-1A, and also manages to have a smooth and pleasant, never-fatiguing tonality while at the same time having clarity and detail which are absolutely top-notch as far as mid-fi portable headphones go.  Not to mention that like usual, Sony is really on top of their game here when it comes to comfort, portability, and overall ergonomics.  There's really nothing more I could ask for in a portable set for a price of under $400.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #479 of 1,768
  Tried fishing around through my cables to find a longer one.

The Beats one won't fit, Fostex T50rp, Ai Ai Ai TMA-1 or even a cheap cable I hacked the rubber off will not fit. :|

You need one with a TRRS (4-pole) connector at the end that connects to the headphones in order for it to fit in models like the MDR-100AAP or MDR-1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back