Sony EX700 filter mod
Oct 29, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they only had a truly full ranged sound.

They do have the full range, just not the freq. resp. (sound signature) you are looking for.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #18 of 59
Actually, you can use full volume from the player, or even the external amp, to burn in the EX700's as they stand 100mW per channel and go really loud without distortion. Tried outside ears, of course.
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 59
^ That really depends on which player we are talking about (plus the fact that spec are often bloated for marketing purpose)

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #21 of 59
Wow, although it says the power handling is there but won't the driver spoil after burning in for long hours?

How did you get the courage to do that on such an expensive phone anyway. I'll worry the freak out if it was me.

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #22 of 59
Gday,

EDITED: refer to further comment
k701smile.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 59
I tried this mod, didn't work for me. The filters didnt fit snugly, and kept falling out. But I found a better fix. Comply tips help to smooth out the treble for me. I think the main problem isnt the earphone, but instead the sony hybrid tips. The sony tips have such a narrow opening, making the sound harsh on any earphone. I tried them also on the IE7's, and found that the sound was a lot more distorted. Using comply tips, for me, has smoothed out the harsh treble caused by the hybrid tips.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #24 of 59
I have not read every post in this thread, if someone already mentioned this...
After whole month (800 hours) burn-in, barely any harshness left, the earphone sounds "liquidity" - I can't find the right word, it basically sounds effortlessly on what it produces. Before you venture into any surgery, try long burn in. (I always burnt in my earphones more than 500 hours, but this pair, I actually forgot it about while it was burning in.)

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #25 of 59
you are right - even with a good (silicone) seal on the er6i filter the earphone still sounds a bit harsh.  comply tips seemed to make a larger difference than the filter mod - no need to eq off the treble anymore.

i agree: buy the comply tips first - they're cheaper and easier than the er6i filters

EDIT: even with comply tips [with only tulle over opening] these still sound sibilant.  Higher denisty open cell foam rolls off the treble a bit, but seems to cut in a bit too late for the sibilant frequencies, softening the cymbals more than the sibilance.  Still its better than stock.  I might pay a visit to Clark Rubber and try some other foam densities.  These sure are one hell of an unlovable earphone...  So much so that they have turned me off iems.

The problem with installing the er6 filters with silicone seal is that they alter the sound TOO much.  I ended up EQ'ing off the bass, as there was just way too much and it was boomy.

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #27 of 59
yes...  Have to watch out for those shifty Sony central authorised resellers selling ex700 with full authentic packaging, warrranty card, authentication holographic sticker in place of the authentic ex700...

Way to resurrect a 14 month old thread to defend an out of production iem lol. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #29 of 59
What? Are you kidding me? Still chasing this? Seriously do you want to sink any deeper?  Why not accuse ClieOS of having fakes, along with everyone else who bought first revision ex700 from authorised resellers.

1. what I said above
2. housing is magnesium not plastic
3. ex700 originally came with blue and red, and changed to grey at a later stage, probably due to all the knock offs on the market.  In any case why would the knock offs use a different colour?
4.Packaging and Y splitter for knock offs is clearly different.  My one came with authentic hard case, not soft pouch and was bought from an authorised reseller...
5.Silicone tips - knock offs dont come with set of 7 sizes each with different neck
6.The knock off you linked doesn't even look the same - L and R are not circular, and show different detail on each picture.
7. refer here for detailed discussion of this
8.Sony logo on knock offs is painted not molded with silver metallic brushed effect paint
9.if this is a knock off its a pretty good one with a sound signature that correlates to every review I have ever read, and actually a very good sound in the lower midrange, treble and bass.
10.Why bother really - most of us have moved on.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #30 of 59
I have 6 big boxes full of all the packaging and receipts of all the headphone I own - like they said on the TV show 'Life' - "you are what you receipt"
wink.gif

Anyway, after a hour of digging around, guess what, I still have the original box, the receipt and even the gift bag. Retrospectively speaking, SG$499 (~US$300+ back then) was still quite overpriced at that time even though it was bought directly from Sony.

P1050771_resize.jpg

Since so much time is spent for such trivia stuff (well, I don't like to be accused. Does anyone?), an apology will be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back