Sony EX700 filter mod
Sep 24, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #31 of 59
You're lucky you paid $300 US (I paid $500 
blink.gif
)

Anyway I just dug these up - apart from the resonance issue in the upper midrange which really makes it hard to enjoy these, they would sound decent for say $100 if there weren't so many better alternatives...  It's hard to describe an iem as natural when it has such a prominent coloration in the upper midrange.  But anyway time to move on?

BTW if ClieOS has fakes, my ex700 look exactly the same - some giant conspiracy must be occurring... or we both have genuine ex700...  which both of us bought from authorised resellers...

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #32 of 59
@drez - I never addressed you in the first place, so I won't comment on anything you wrote, except for "10. why bother" well Sony has shut down a couple factories in China and fakes are a huge problem don't you think? I think the EX700 has a very high sound quality and would be more appreciated if the market wasn't littered with fakes, even though the new EX series is technically superior in most aspects the EX700 still is a unique enough IEM to hold it's own in a couple aspects of sound quality and be a niche collectors item even considering the current line-up, and with the new balanced armature series announced I can't see Sony releasing any dynamic driver IEM's again any time soon so as far as I can tell we are pretty much left with the legacy of EX700, EX600, EX800ST and EX1000.

@ClieOS - That was nice of you to spend an hour digging through receipts, I didn't mean to inspire you to waste an hour of your time, but can I just ask why the pictures in your first post have red and blue dots which have always been attributed to the fake units? The shape of the housing looks fake too, and in another thread I once saw your write that the fake EX700's have 80~90% of the sound quality of the real ones! and that is where my suscpicion started.

If you picture didn't have the red and blue dots and weird housing shape and you hadn't commented on the sound quality of the fakes I wouldn't have said anything in this thread, personally I hate fakes so I kindof instantly reacted at those two things.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #33 of 59

Quote:
blink.gif
)

Anyway I just dug these up - apart from the resonance issue in the upper midrange which really makes it hard to enjoy these,

You mean dissonance is the lower midrange right? :wink: at least that's the way I hear them!

$500... did you listen to them first? :wink:

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #34 of 59
Nope no listening before buying - guy in shop wouldn't allow 
triportsad.gif

Not sure how to describe the midrange issue - if it is a single issue - there is some issues with drums, snares and mid toms, as well as with certain cymbal hits - dissonance, over-excitement not sure how to phrase it but it sounds a little overblown.  I think with the comply tips they are probably around the price range of the HifiMan RE-0, but to me the RE-0 is just a little more coherent, detailed, and lacks those dissonance issues as you term them, but I'm no iem expert.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #35 of 59

Quote:
blink.gif
)

Why are you paying $500? The MSRP is $300. Even MSRP of EX1000 is around $500+. (oh wait, Australia - I understand now. Used to live in Sydney for almost a year around 2006.)

Quote:
@ClieOS - That was nice of you to spend an hour digging through receipts, I didn't mean to inspire you to waste an hour of your time, but can I just ask why the pictures in your first post have red and blue dots which have always been attributed to the fake units? The shape of the housing looks fake too, and in another thread I once saw your write that the fake EX700's have 80~90% of the sound quality of the real ones! and that is where my suscpicion started.

If you picture didn't have the red and blue dots and weird housing shape and you hadn't commented on the sound quality of the fakes I wouldn't have said anything in this thread, personally I hate fakes so I kindof instantly reacted at those two things.

Don't really remember where did I comment about the SQ of the fake, but it is quite possible that I was quoting someone from erji.net (which was the only forum I saw people comment about SQ of fake EX700. I don't own any fake EX700 myself. As for all the logo and marking on my EX700, you'll really have to ask Sony about it.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #37 of 59
Got to love inflated Australian retail prices
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #39 of 59
Wish I knew about that website 2 years ago

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #40 of 59
Now that you mention it drez, those resemble the exact looks of what my old EX700SL's looked like, except I didn't buy mine for $499 like ClieOS did, I spent around $380-400 for a earphone that at the time was not worth its value at all, very bright and harsh highs even after being eq'd (I think I mentioned this in a few threads with my past experience) the sound on them didn't represent what a $380-400 earphone  would sound like. Anyway, what I do know for sure is that companies do change the looks on some of the headphone or earphones without the consumers actually realising it unless one would compare two side by side and have close observations done. Just my 2c.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #41 of 59
IMO they have some resonance issues that detract from enjoying the strong points of their presentation and which really stand out tonally as well as in volume and which does not reflect the MSRP they were asking for at the time.  
From the reviews, the ex1000 sounds like what the ex700 should have been at the price they were asking - I think they should give me a trade in 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: Grammar fixed

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #44 of 59

Quote:
From the reviews, the ex1000 sounds like what the ex700 should have been at the price they were asking - I think they should give me a trade in 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: Grammar fixed

Beh, I found the EX1000's somewhat similar to the EX700's when I had an hours worth of listening to them loaned to me from a friend. They definitely sound crisp in detail, and sonically outstanding have each note of the sound to keep up with fast songs i.e. fast electronic or rock and metal. But I found some issues with them, may be my ears have been worn down by the loud sound at clubs or at home, but I found the EX1000's highs a bit too bright same with the EX700, not as engaging as say my IE7's did, and the bass was a bit lacking, this is my opinion though. This was playing through a E7/E9 before I sold them connected to my Zune with about shy close of 100 hours of burn in time on them. But still $600-700 MSRP on these things at the time of release was no way worth it, if you could get the EX1000's for lets say $300-350 then its a good value, but anything over, there are better alternatives to lookout for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back