Sony EX 1000 or Shure SE535
Jan 6, 2012 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DonkeyRhubarb

New Head-Fier
I've done so much searching and reading and researching and I just can't decide which one of these to get!

My first set of proper in ear phones were Sonys. I remember when I got them, they were mid range price. (can't remember the exact model). Put on a song I was very familiar with and suddenly went WOW. The bass blew me away more than anything. I was not expecting it. Then I figured I had put down a decent amount of money for some headphones so I was just in a different league of sound.

I decided that I would upgrade them yearly and one week ago I bought the Sennheiser IE60's. At first, I was totally underwhelmed. I thought I had thrown my money away, but as I experimented with the ear buds and got the right seal for my ears, the sound improved ten-fold. I still wasn't blown away, however and I still miss my Sonys. The Sennheisers are quite balanced in lows, mids and highs and the bass is sufficient when the song commands. It is also accurate and wholesome, but I just don't get that wow-factor off them. It's more of an appreciation of the accuracy they display compared to the Sonys.

I have decided to go all out and just get the best that money can buy. I want to be blown away again and I don't care how much it costs. As well as the two mentioned in the title, I was also briefly looking at the JVC FX700's. The three phones seem to cater to my musical taste best.I also came across the Digizoid ZO2 (Is this worthwhile)?

Please help me pick one of these three phones. I'm at a complete stalemate with myself!

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 16
Being that you were quite taken by a set of Sony's already, between the 3 options, I'd highly recommend the EX1000. However, the FX700 probably has more of a wow factor than does the EX1000, if I'm to be honest. The FX700 is just impossibly crisp and textured, and it really does have that wow factor. The EX1000, on the other hand, boasts excellent transparency, which is complimented by it's open and airy presentation. Where performance is concerned, the SE535 doesn't quite rival the FX700/EX1000 IMO, though the SE535's mids are simply mesmerizing. It's the high end where the SE535 left me with much to be desired. Hence, my first and foremost recommendation would be the EX1000, very closely followed by the FX700.

Where the Zo is concerned, I'd only consider the Zo if you intend to use it with the EX1000. The two are simply a match made in heaven. I've yet to witness a better pairing with the Zo. Should you consider the EX1000, it's best you hold off on any extras, until you've heard them for yourself, after which you can decide whether or not the Zo is an absolute necessity.

Refer to |joker|'s review thread for an in-depth review of each of the 3 aforementioned. Hopefully, that should help you narrow down your choice(s), to whichever one you find suits you best. All the best! 
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 16
Might as well just go custom if you don't care the cost and want to really be wowed. But you really need to figure out which sound you prefer because the ones you listed are pretty different flavors.

Also don't forget that more expensive doesn't always mean better. I prefer my TF10 ($130 right now) to some costing 2-3 times more.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 16
If you happen to be able to come across it (i.e. you're in Asia) give the SE535 Japan Special Edition a try. I feel it overcomes the SE535's underwhelming highs but still keeps pretty smooth mids, if that's your thing. Listening to the LTD-J was the most fun I'd ever had with a pair of Shures; they're not normally my thing. But yeah, like what i2ehan said, regarding the others, the FX700 is more impressive at the onset, but my personal preference would be the EX1000 as well.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 16
Why not try the EX600 as they are quite a bit cheaper than the EX1000 and are said to have a very similar sound signature. Some people here say that the EX600 do about 90% of what the EX1000 can. I cannot comment though, as I've only heard EX-600, which I really like a lot.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 16
I will recommend the JVC FX700 because bass is very deep, reverbing and punchy with great mids, highend details and wide soundstage. The Sony EX1000 amazingly detailed yet fun to listen and it has wide soundstage deep punchy bass and very detailed mids and extended highs but it's more on neutral side and FX700 is warm, rich and detailed.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 16
Thank you all so much for your replies. I am not bordering on the EX1000's and the FX700's. Only one thing is disconcerting me... What;s the fit like on the FX700's? I can only find info on the sound quality. I need to know that I can wear them for a long time and any place I choose. I'm living in Korea now, so trying out headphones is impossible, but I'm near Japan, so postage is minimal. However, you would be amazed at how hard it is to get something from Japan to here. Look up Korea Japan history...

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 16
The fit should be okay on the FX700; the nozzle is oblique to the driver face, much like the Audio-Technica CKM series, but main concern would be isolation. There is minimal isolation on the FX700 because of the large vent. The EX1000 is a little better (but not excellent) with isolation and a bit more comfortable, but they do have a strange shape when sitting outside the ear; the FX700 has a much more conventional look.

I don't see how the 'bad blood' between the two countries from WWII gets in the way of commerce; I live in Taiwan and I don't have problems getting stuff from China. You should be able to get both of these products in Korea; I'm sure Samsung/LG dominate, but Sony surely has stores there. JVC is perhaps a little harder to come by, but in general, the Asian countries hold each others' products pretty well. Or maybe you don't live in a major city? At any rate, Koreans are pretty good about keeping up with the Joneses, so I doubt you'll really have that much trouble to try products out. Just ask around to see where there are high-end headphone stores; I'm sure any enthusiast-oriented store will let you listen. It's the stingy shop owners that want to make money on all their stock that don't let you listen. I thought the same way when I first got to Taiwan; I thought no one let you try their stuff out! After a small amount of time doing research, I found all the audiophile shops in Taipei and have gotten to listen to just about every top-tier IEM and headphone around.

Also, if you don't mind picking up a native item, there are some Korean companies doing some good things in audio. For example, the Calyx 24/192 DAC is excellent (though I doubt you need it) --- the EXS X20 seems like a good rival to other dual BA offerings. I haven't heard it, but from descriptions and the way it was measured on goldenears, it looks to be a very clarity-oriented IEM and the guys at Stage93 in Singapore rate it very highly. I'm sure they sell for good prices on the street --- the IEMs you're looking at right now are quite pricey, so you might want to start with a more budget approach, unless money is no object for you.

If you're intent on getting something from Japan, Dimitri from Musica Acoustics has a good collection that you can browse. I've never bought from him, but his reputation is good here and he ships worldwide.

Lastly, you can consider customs as well. Hidition is a well-regarded Korean custom maker; they made the first five-driver custom (not Westone).

Quote:
Thank you all so much for your replies. I am not bordering on the EX1000's and the FX700's. Only one thing is disconcerting me... What;s the fit like on the FX700's? I can only find info on the sound quality. I need to know that I can wear them for a long time and any place I choose. I'm living in Korea now, so trying out headphones is impossible, but I'm near Japan, so postage is minimal. However, you would be amazed at how hard it is to get something from Japan to here. Look up Korea Japan history...

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 16
The information from everybody has been amazing. I have come to my decision and I will be getting the JVC FX700's. From what I have read, they seem like the perfect ear phone for me. As soon as I get my bonus from work, I will be placing my order :)

In other news, I finally got my WOW moment from my Sennheiser IE60's. Nirvana - Smells Like Teem Spirit. Didn't even see it coming. I think I'll keep my IE60's and use them for, well, listening to music.

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
In other news, I finally got my WOW moment from my Sennheiser IE60's. Nirvana - Smells Like Teem Spirit. Didn't even see it coming. I think I'll keep my IE60's and use them for, well, listening to music.

Would love to see a review of the IE60's, as information is rather scarce around these parts.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 16
just thought id ask here instead of posting a new thread but im getting the ex1000 within a few days, was just wondering if the fit can be adjusted by reversing the earphones like you can with the likes of say the triple fi 10, will doing this make them fit closer or make no difference? thanks to those that let me know if they know.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
just thought id ask here instead of posting a new thread but im getting the ex1000 within a few days, was just wondering if the fit can be adjusted by reversing the earphones like you can with the likes of say the triple fi 10, will doing this make them fit closer or make no difference? thanks to those that let me know if they know.

See how the strain relief is angled away/outward on either side, as is indicated by the white arrows? Well, the EX1000 is intended to be worn exactly as originally oriented, R for right, connected to the side of the cable with the red ring, and L for left, connected to the side of the cable with the silver ring. Else, if reversed, they'd be far too uncomfortable, and the strain reliefs would impinge on the ear, causing discomfort. If it's a closer fit one trying to achieve, that depends exclusively on the tips used. The Monster/Meelec triflanges, for instance, will allow for a very deep insertion, and hence the EX1000's body will rest much closer, within the ear canal. Hope that helps. 
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 16
hey thanks for the excellent reply and taking the time to demonstrate so i understand, interesting to know that by using different tips they will fit closer tho i shall try all sorts when they arrive. thanks again.

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 16
Because of the help I got with my decision here, I feel I owe a review to the community of the IE 60's. I agree, information is scarce. I will make it my goal to have a half-decent review up in the next 14 days. (I'm busy for a week).

Again, thank you all. Your help has been immeasurable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back