Sony DR-Z6 (Vintage)
Jun 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #166 of 234

Could you give some insights as to how DR-Z5 compares with 6 and 7. I saw an 5 at $150 is that a good price? thnks:)

Quote:

its actually pretty remarkable how different these three headphones sound from each other; the Z5 is like a much less warm grado without a soundstage, the Z6 is a downward slope and sounds extremely smooth and euphoric, and the Z7 is incredibly snappy and slammy with superclean bass and absurdly high detail retrieval

To elaborate further, the Z5 is actually noticably faster in attack than the other Z headphones, but at a price. As you go up, the driver becomes slower in attack but much faster in decay. Basically, take a modern Grado, get rid of the warmth and soundstage, and make it isolate like crazy. It has questionable distortion figures and mediocre extension in either end, and it's a little resonant and poorly controlled. It should theoretically also be the hardest to drive to perfection. It sounds a lot more "vintagey" than the other Z headphones, for sure. I'd say $150 is a major rip-off unless it's mint-in-box. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #168 of 234
Also, a note: I was reading the manual again, and I noticed that Sony recommends wearing them with the center of the driver dome/pad opening placed DIRECTLY over the ear canal. This is a lot farther forward than I was instinctually wearing them; they almost feel like they're gonna fall off. However, they're sounding better and are even a bit more comfortable.

As I move them back on my head they become brighter and more aggressive; first the upper mids become more peaky and up-front/loud, then the bass starts to back off. With them sitting forward, the confusion in the soundstage is a lot less pronounced and they sound more cohesive, though it's a little finicky fit-wise. 

Maybe try that, GREQ. I'm not sure how the Z6 will respond to this as mine is out of commission, but I'd assume it'll be good.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #169 of 234
found another if you want to bid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DR-Z6-Stereo-Headphones-Kopfhorer-1978-OVP-NEU-nur-einmal-genutzt-/371159781950?pt=Kopfh%C3%B6rer&hash=item566ad8d23e

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #170 of 234
  found another if you want to bid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DR-Z6-Stereo-Headphones-Kopfhorer-1978-OVP-NEU-nur-einmal-genutzt-/371159781950?pt=Kopfh%C3%B6rer&hash=item566ad8d23e

First thing: it's extremely bad etiquette to post auction listings on public forums. This is because forum traffic is very high and it effectively nullifies the efforts of those who put a lot of time into searching for something. Please refrain from doing this.
Secondly, this auction has been on ebay for nearly a year. It's kinda famous for how ridiculously over priced it is, and it's longevity on ebay is testament to that. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #171 of 234
  Secondly, this auction has been on ebay for nearly a year. It's kinda famous for how ridiculously over priced it is, and it's longevity on ebay is testament to that. 

It's hard to put a price on a product that hasn't been made in over 30 years. For headphones built this well and sounding this awesome I wouldn't let mine go for less than a grand... 

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #172 of 234

It's hard to put a price on a product that hasn't been made in over 30 years. For headphones built this well and sounding this awesome I wouldn't let mine go for less than a grand... 

Of course price and value is subjective... but your statement leads me to believe it really is something desirable.
I'm not willing to drop any amount of coin on them especially after owning the z7...... but there's always that "what if" in the back of my mind. 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #173 of 234

are you being serious right now

the Z series is incredibly breakable, the cable and yokes are major weak points and if you don't take the headband strap off very carefully the sliders can snap

only the Z7 is what I'd call well built and it still has the cable problem (and probably the headband problem too)

and even then I would hardly say any of these headphones are worth $1k based on their sound alone

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #174 of 234
  are you being serious right now

the Z series is incredibly breakable, the cable and yokes are major weak points and if you don't take the headband strap off very carefully the sliders can snap

only the Z7 is what I'd call well built and it still has the cable problem (and probably the headband problem too)

and even then I would hardly say any of these headphones are worth $1k based on their sound alone

Based on my particular pair which I keep great care of, I think they're built very well. I have not had any issues with the cable on the Z6 however I have had issues with the Sony SA 3k/5k cable. Cable and cosmetics aside it's all about what's going on inside.

And their price; they sound almost identical to a Grado HP1000 HP1 HP2... how much do those go for?

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #175 of 234

Based on my particular pair which I keep great care of, I think they're built very well. I have not had any issues with the cable on the Z6 however I have had issues with the Sony SA 3k/5k cable. Cable and cosmetics aside it's all about what's going on inside.

Keeping them in a box and never using them puts almost no wear whatsoever on them. You cannot evaluate durability without putting something through its paces; anything can survive the velvet pillow treatment.

I've had four Z headphones and all of them had the cable short out, the Z5's headband slider snapped from (normally) removing the headband, my Z6 had a driver die, and I've seen several Z6s on eBay with broken yokes.

You can evaluate build quality, as that is entirely a feel thing, but those yokes feel very sketchy to me, and that qualifies for "poor build quality" imo. 

Quote:

they sound almost identical to a Grado HP1000 HP1 HP2...

I hope not, then the HP1000 isn't worth a fraction of what it goes for :/

I'd put the Z7 at $300, MAYBE $500 if it's NOS. The Z7 can't even stand to an AKG Q701 in terms of cleanliness, linearity, transparency, or soundstaging, let alone the HD800. The only reason I say $500 is because it's the only closed headphone I've heard without any massively crippling issues like the ones present in modern closed gear (TH600 etc).

I've had extensive experience with the Z6 as well and can say it's worse than the Z7 in about every way (treble extension, bass tightness, distortion, and speed to name a few). $1000 for a Z6, when it can't even stand to the Z7, and is MUCH more common?? No.

And really, have you actually made this comparison yourself or are you still just going off of what your friend says?

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #176 of 234

I've owned one Z6 that has no cable issues, the quality through-out is better than most headphones made today... May I suggest you stop swinging them around your head, perhaps keep them boxed when not in use?

The HP1000 is hyped up no doubt about it, I'm simply saying if the Grado goes for a grand, then the Z6 IN MY OPINION should come in around in the same price point... and that's not even considering how rare they are. Before I started this thread I don't think there was any mention of them on head-fi? I have heard the HP1000 and the sound signature is closer to the Z6 than anything else I've heard.

I wonder what you're powering the Zs with? My Zero DAC/amp hybrid doesn't power them and/or does a really poor job in comparison to my Darkvoice tube amp where they sound amazing...

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #177 of 234

I've owned one Z6 that has no cable issues, the quality through-out is better than most headphones made today... May I suggest you stop swinging them around your head, perhaps keep them boxed when not in use?

The HP1000 is hyped up no doubt about it, I'm simply saying if the Grado goes for a grand, then the Z6 IN MY OPINION should come in around in the same price point... and that's not even considering how rare they are. Before I started this thread I don't think there was any mention of them on head-fi? I have heard the HP1000 and the sound signature is closer to the Z6 than anything else I've heard.

I wonder what you're powering the Zs with? My Zero DAC/amp hybrid doesn't power them and/or does a really poor job in comparison to my Darkvoice tube amp where they sound amazing...

I don't "swing things around my head", whatever that means, and I take good care of my belongings. I also, however, bring them outside frequently, which involves coiling up cables and placing them into pockets, and rarely, tripping on said cables. The Z cables are not suitable for this, and I was making this known. It's also worth noting that aside from the Z5's snapping headband (which was clearly Sony's fault for cheaping out on the plastic to make the headphone less expensive), I have not had anything else happen to any of my own Z headphones. 

That being said they still feel breakable in the hands to me and I would not put "build quality" under their list of strong suits. They are merely heavy, not sturdy. (Except the all-metal Z7 of course). 

I have been contemplating buying the 336i to try with the Z7 to see if the high voltage swing/slew rate would make the transducer more responsive, but I'm hesitant. Perhaps when I have more money.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #178 of 234
Got my dr-z5, they are in great condition!  The sound is very 'monitor'-ish which is in line with Sony's better vintage cans like the dr-5a and 6a I have had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back