Sony DR-Z6 (Vintage)
Mar 25, 2010 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 234
Sony DR-Z5, Sony DR-Z6, Sony DR-Z7

I've only owned these headphones for a matter of hours at the time of writing this review, I would usually give my ears time to adjust to the subtle differences but this won't be necessary. They are vastly different from anything I've heard before, in fact they out-shine the Sony SA-5000 in terms of detail. They are flat yet excitingly involving, bright but not piercingly shrill.

Made in Japan some time between 1978 and 1981, very heavy weighted drivers however the weight completely disappears once you're wearing them. Its going to be difficult to describe the sound, I've always gone for the faster/detailed headphone but these are something else entirely. The sound stage isn't huge however the instrument separation more than makes up for it.

• The percussion found in the likes of Jack Johnsons Sexy Plexi really snaps and gives the image of the drummer sat there keeping beat. While in the past I may have said Ultrasone puts you on stage with the artist, the dr-z6 place you in the recording studio.
Carnen Fantaisie violin played by David Garrett sounds so sharp and detailed it has reignited my interest in music I usually wouldn't bother with. The instruments are well balanced with a clear separation that is extremely engaging.
Master and Commander soundtrack - Prelude [from Unaccompanied Cello Suite No.1 in G Major, BWV 1007] ~ Simply stunning, the varying tones put my Ultrasones to shame.

Instrumental music from acoustic to classical are clearly their strong points. Faster techno, D&B and the likes start to sound a little congested or perhaps work to listen too; this is no doubt due to my liking a warmer, overall bassier sound for this genre of music. Considering I bought these headphones with zero knowledge and rather low expectations I am blown away.

I've done some online research and come up with very little, nothing on head-fi but I did manage to find a south-Korean website with a few pictures but no description.

Does anyone here have any experience with these headphones? - please enlighten me!

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 234
Where did you find these? I've never even heard of them. If they sound like you described they would be worth a go. What's their going price?

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 234
Mar 25, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 234
Haha ourfpshero you should kick yourself.. you lost out by 50 cents!

I was browsing ebay late one night as I do on occasion for used headphones, anything that looks unique I'll google and see if it's worth my bid. I very rarely win anything as I don't play the snipping game, if I see something I like I bid on it there and then. Well it was about 5am one morning, I placed my bid and went to bed. It wasn't until I returned home that evening I found the winning bid e-mail, I'd completely forgotten about it.

How I won them for so little I don't know, the price on the Korean site I linked too is 180,000 south-Korean Won which is rougly $160 USD not including shipping, even that after listening is a steal.

For there presumed age they look brand new, they just smell old which I find quite intriguing.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 234
i had no idea if they were a gem, or just another generic vintage mediocre headphone so i bid low

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 234
German Brochure I translated: "This closed stereo headsets employees based on the dynamic principle, and has gleichmaBigen acoustic pressure to complete audible track record. Earpieces from resonance SBMC material."

Graphicism, can you take some photos of the drivers please?
Thanks

Mar 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice dealy-oh Graphicism, I need to cruise ebay more often.

It has become a nightly ritual since my discovery, I just hope we aren't all bidding against one another... perhaps we should have a headphone-ebay thread and post what we're bidding on, although it may be abused more than being helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No experience with them, but wow....I'm a sucker for portable headphones, but those look incredibly sexy.

I want....

I'm not sure they are considered portable, after all they have the 6.33mm jack and are 100 Ohm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
German Brochure I translated: "This closed stereo headsets employees based on the dynamic principle, and has gleichmaBigen acoustic pressure to complete audible track record. Earpieces from resonance SBMC material."

Graphicism, can you take some photos of the drivers please?
Thanks

Thank you, I appreciate the translation, very interesting! ... gleichmaBigen acoustic pressure ... what on earth is that? I PM'd Faust2D who explained SBMC as Sony Bulk Mould Compound that is a very good rigid material used in their hi-end turntables.

Oh boy surgery? I've taken apart every headphone I've owned but have no idea how to crack this one open... the ear pads don't pull off or twist. Any ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by earerror /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find info only on german and chinese sites, these cans are very rare and hard to find.

Yeah it appears so, seems they are the first ones to ever appear on ebay which makes them even more intriguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back