Sony DR-Z6 (Vintage)
Mar 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #17 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, I appreciate the translation, very interesting! ... gleichmaBigen acoustic pressure ... what on earth is that? I PM'd Faust2D who explained SBMC as Sony Bulk Mould Compound that is a very good rigid material used in their hi-end turntables.

Oh boy surgery? I've taken apart every headphone I've owned but have no idea how to crack this one open... the ear pads don't pull off or twist. Any ideas?

"gleichmäßigen" means 'steady'. So 'steady acoustic pressure'.

Not surgery
tongue.gif
. If you could get a good shot inside the earpads that might show us enough of the driver to be useful. If not, hmm im guessing maybe there are some screws under the earpads, probably under some sticky tape or something.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #18 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
German Brochure I translated: "This closed stereo headsets employees based on the dynamic principle, and has gleichmaBigen acoustic pressure to complete audible track record. Earpieces from resonance SBMC material."

Graphicism, can you take some photos of the drivers please?
Thanks

Yes, we need pictures!

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 234
Thanks for the additional info JeckyllAndHyde, I hadn't seen that before. According to that page they're 110Ohm, released 1978.

To open these up I would need pull off the ear pads which are glued, AFAIK if I break these they are irreplaceable. So for now some pictures... showing that they unclip from the band with the slide of a button, the leather on the ear-pads is like new, very clean and soft.

sony_drz6_x4.jpg

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #21 of 234
Woo! Thank you iQEM I appreciate the pictures. You know I was just wondering what glue I could buy to piece these together after taking them apart but now I won't have too! As far as I know the only difference between the Z6 and Z7 is the strength of the housing, the Z6 are a hard dense black plastic and the Z7 could be metal. Despite the plastic they are very heavy for a headphone of this size, which is likely due to the speaker.

4019813072_1706c99d5d.jpg

Just look at that thing! It looks more like a UFO than a speaker, if that even is the speaker... crazy!

- To give a little update; I am so thrilled with these I sold my beloved recabled HFI-780s and replaced them with a Darkvoice 336i, I figured the tubes would be a good match and I wasn't wrong. They are really signing now! I picked up some Prokofiev, Saint-Saëns and Tchaikovsky as my indoctrination to classical grows, all because of these headphones.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #22 of 234
Apr 12, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #23 of 234
Quote:

Faster techno, D&B and the likes start to sound a little congested or perhaps work to listen too; this is no doubt due to my liking a warmer, overall bassier sound for this genre of music.

Please clarify this statement.

You state earlier that they are faster than the SA5k, but then you state that they become congested on faster "techno" and D&B. I suspect you accidentally selected the wrong word, but I'd like to request clarity in any case.

I'm a little baffled as to how such a heavy cone can be so fast (assuming it isnt something else causing the weight you describe)

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 234
More detailed and faster then the SA5000. Impressive feat. I would be skeptical due to age and pricing, but my DT48 has told me to take no vintage headphone lightly as being technically inferior to modern hi end cans based on age. I only sold my SA5000 cause the DT48 was more detailed and faster IMO. Maybe this is Sonys version of the DT48. Excells with acoustics, excellent separation, small sound stage, and flat. Damn, this perked my interest. And closed too I believe. 7.50 for world class detail! Stunning.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #25 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please clarify this statement.

You state earlier that they are faster than the SA5k, but then you state that they become congested on faster "techno" and D&B. I suspect you accidentally selected the wrong word, but I'd like to request clarity in any case.

I said the Z6 have more detail in comparison to the SA5K, however speed as-in how quick they are to resolve notes with a complete absence of veil they are certainly up there. I prefer my faster techno and D&B on sloppy bass-head phones, like the HFI-780 or say Sony XB500. With the likes of Vitalic on the ultra-forward Z6 I started to feel nauseous, almost like the headphone had too much attack and too little decay, forcing me to concentrate and listen to something I would normally leave on while I fiddle around on the computer.

Electronica music in general; Massive Attack, Owl City, Kraftwerk, BT, The Knife, The XX, Zero 7 to name a few are almost perfect... I could use a little more bass but then having come directly from the Ultrasone HFI-780 where I OD'd on bass it's likely just withdrawals. As some of you may know I loved my Ultrasones but I traded them for a tube amp so that should give you some indication of how serious I am about these cans.

For the first time in 29 years I've started to listen to classical music, I never really understood it before now. Acoustic music like Jack Johnson and Newton Faulkner is a real pleasure to listen to, Eric Clapton Unplugged sounds almost binaural.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only sold my SA5000 cause the DT48 was more detailed and faster IMO. Maybe this is Sonys version of the DT48. Excells with acoustics, excellent separation, small sound stage, and flat. Damn, this perked my interest. And closed too I believe. 7.50 for world class detail! Stunning.

Yes bang on actually. The separation more than makes up for the 'artificial' headphone sound stage, and coming from someone who thought sound stage was everything per 5.1 link in my sig this should be saying a lot. To clarify I'm not using any effect or EQ with these phones.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #26 of 234
Quote:

I said the Z6 have more detail in comparison to the SA5K, however speed as-in how quick they are to resolve notes with a complete absence of veil they are certainly up there.

Detail should be the product of speed, surely? Unless you are infering that detail on these headphones is partially the result of frequency response as well as speed.

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #27 of 234
Quote:

I said the Z6 have more detail in comparison to the SA5K, however speed as-in how quick they are to resolve notes with a complete absence of veil they are certainly up there. I prefer my faster techno and D&B on sloppy bass-head phones, like the HFI-780 or say Sony XB500. With the likes of Vitalic on the ultra-forward Z6 I started to feel nauseous, almost like the headphone had too much attack and too little decay, forcing me to concentrate and listen to something I would normally leave on while I fiddle around on the computer.

Electronica music in general; Massive Attack, Owl City, Kraftwerk, BT, The Knife, The XX, Zero 7 to name a few are almost perfect... I could use a little more bass but then having come directly from the Ultrasone HFI-780 where I OD'd on bass it's likely just withdrawals. As some of you may know I loved my Ultrasones but I traded them for a tube amp so that should give you some indication of how serious I am about these cans.

For the first time in 29 years I've started to listen to classical music, I never really understood it before now. Acoustic music like Jack Johnson and Newton Faulkner is a real pleasure to listen to, Eric Clapton Unplugged sounds almost binaural.

Yes bang on actually. The separation more than makes up for the 'artificial' headphone sound stage, and coming from someone who thought sound stage was everything per 5.1 link in my sig this should be saying a lot. To clarify I'm not using any effect or EQ with these phones.

These headphones must have really made you rethink about musical production. You were the pioneer in getting good, realistic 5.1 sound with your configurations on that one music program. Forgot the name. Isn't it odd that it really takes a pair of vintage headphones to give such a classical presentation. I think companies in the early days took more risk and kept it simple but effective. All this done with no gimmicks. Today headphones are not made to sound like headphones,but speaker systems. This has both pro and con.. But this Sony seems to be one of a few, that really does things different, that I doubt Sony would do today. I think you now understand why I'm so giddy about the DT48, especially the first few weeks. It's like discovering something new and different which makes you pause a bit. I think you are getting to that stage. I hope they continue to grow on you.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #28 of 234
I already own this interesting headphone (check out the drivers!), but if anyone else is tempted, there is a pair available on German e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320605176746&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

No affiliation, of course.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #29 of 234
Almost a year ago I bought these Sony DR-Z6 headphones for $7.50 ~ and what a find, still my favorite headphone. Well today I found the only other pair on ebay that went for $144.50 + shipping, still an absolute steal at that price. Considering I'm the only one blabbing on how great these are the rise in price has to solely come down to me... perhaps I should of stayed quite and wallowed in my sneaky find. I HOPE someone from this community bought them, I mean at the very least they viewed this thread.

Are you out there?

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #30 of 234
Hmm..your description sounds to me that this has similar characteristics as the mdr-z1000, which is priced much more higher==
Not suprising though since both are Sony's monitoring headphones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back