Sony DR-Z6 (Vintage)
Oct 24, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #226 of 234
In my experience, typically only the plug has issues but if the issue persists even after resoldering a new plug, god help you trying to recable them. The soldering terminal on the drivers is an absolute pain and they're also really fragile.

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #227 of 234
In my experience, typically only the plug has issues but if the issue persists even after resoldering a new plug, god help you trying to recable them. The soldering terminal on the drivers is an absolute pain and they're also really fragile.
Will try and resolder the plug this afternoon, if that fails, i have started to make a cable for them.
Would making a custom cable diminish the second hand value or help it a bit? Not that im trying to get rid of them or anything (in fact, based on what i have read here these may become my mains), just curious :wink:

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #228 of 234
It will diminish the value unfortunately. But honestly given how rare and how good these are, I wouldn't sell them at all.

Unless I get one with its own box~
20231010_101903.jpg

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #230 of 234
Also if anyone has recommendations for replacement pads on these, that'll be nice~ preferably cloth like the original
I am working on making some, but its my first time so they probs wont turn out very well :smile:.
Tried printing a pair in tpu using a kind of mesh style to make them flexible enough but that failed completely. I'm now working on a pair made from PE foam, kind of like the Grado pads since i like their feel.

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #231 of 234
Grado style pads could be interesting. Generally I've begun to have a dislike for pleather/leather pads. Hmm, microsuede like used on the HD800 could be interesting as well

20231010_102842.jpg

Also I have the Z7's professional cousin, the M7. Interestingly the body itself is smaller than the Z7

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #234 of 234
Ooooo! Looks great! How do they sound?
I havent really had the chance to properly listen to them yet, just some quick dirty tests to see if the cable works through my usb c dongle -> chifi headphone amp (but even through this sub-optimal setup i am very impressed with the resolution and response of these drivers :). Will get back as soon as i have tried them out for a while :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back