Sony CD3000 Thread
Dec 10, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #391 of 451
So I recently picked up a CD3000 and I am so impressed at its sound signature.

Comparing to the Utopia, they both have a similar brighter sound signature which I prefer. I actually have noticed vocals sound a little better on the CD3000 than the Utopia (they don't get the realness that the R10 has on some songs but in comparison the Utopia vocals seem less real somehow). I'm not missing any of the details on the highs or mids, and I haven't really noticed any detail loss on the real low end where the Utopia should be better going by measurements. Bass maybe isn't as tight as the Utopia, but it is nicely there with similar impact and that is generally fine by me. Soundstage is just better on the CD3000 and while I used to not care much about that especially on headphones it is now becoming more important to me. I don't really notice any of the areas that the Utopia should be technically better at like speed and my view is I probably shouldn't have to get golden ear training just to notice these differences.

I'm really considering selling the Utopia now which I bought with the stand and the case from The Source AV (Alan there is excellent by the way) to get the five year warranty since I thought they would be my long term main headphones. The CD3000 just have quickly become my favorite all around headphones so far. I didn't do direct comparisons with the R10 but given my direct comparison with the Utopia and my direct comparison of the Utopia and R10 earlier that's pretty much how I feel.

However, even though my CD3000 was in mint condition with original pads and headband, they were sticky out of the box and as soon as I start to use it, the dreading flaking began...

Does anyone have any authentic replacement pads (or suggestions for a high quality leather replacement that looks/feels very similar to the stock pads)?

You can try these ear pads :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Le...1000-CD3000-CD750-CD850-CD950-CD/183413707691

I bought a pair of them a few months ago, they are very close to original CD3000 ear pads, in terms of shape, thickness and comfort, but are made of real leather. I use them for long periods without any problem.

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #392 of 451
So I recently picked up a CD3000 and I am so impressed at its sound signature.

Comparing to the Utopia, they both have a similar brighter sound signature which I prefer. I actually have noticed vocals sound a little better on the CD3000 than the Utopia (they don't get the realness that the R10 has on some songs but in comparison the Utopia vocals seem less real somehow). I'm not missing any of the details on the highs or mids, and I haven't really noticed any detail loss on the real low end where the Utopia should be better going by measurements. Bass maybe isn't as tight as the Utopia, but it is nicely there with similar impact and that is generally fine by me. Soundstage is just better on the CD3000 and while I used to not care much about that especially on headphones it is now becoming more important to me. I don't really notice any of the areas that the Utopia should be technically better at like speed and my view is I probably shouldn't have to get golden ear training just to notice these differences.

I'm really considering selling the Utopia now which I bought with the stand and the case from The Source AV (Alan there is excellent by the way) to get the five year warranty since I thought they would be my long term main headphones. The CD3000 just have quickly become my favorite all around headphones so far. I didn't do direct comparisons with the R10 but given my direct comparison with the Utopia and my direct comparison of the Utopia and R10 earlier that's pretty much how I feel.

However, even though my CD3000 was in mint condition with original pads and headband, they were sticky out of the box and as soon as I start to use it, the dreading flaking began...

Does anyone have any authentic replacement pads (or suggestions for a high quality leather replacement that looks/feels very similar to the stock pads)?

Welcome to the club! I have been through many sets of headphones over the years. The CD3000 is the one pair that has consistently remained with me. They have been my all-day work companion for many years, and I still can be surprised by the beauty of their sound. Amazing to me that after all these years there is not an obvious closed-back alternative.

Enjoy!

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #394 of 451
They are quite good stock but add a really good copper cables and you like them even better. I also run mine balanced.

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #397 of 451
What about silver wires into de cable?

The CD3000 is already a bright sounding headphones. I tried silver and thick gauge copper, and ending up going with copper. Just compliment the sound better.

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #398 of 451
You can try these ear pads :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Le...1000-CD3000-CD750-CD850-CD950-CD/183413707691

I bought a pair of them a few months ago, they are very close to original CD3000 ear pads, in terms of shape, thickness and comfort, but are made of real leather. I use them for long periods without any problem.

Thank you very much for this recommendation. I just received mine from the seller and they are a huge improvement from the previous ebay pads I'd been using for the last few years. Very soft and comfortable.

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #399 of 451
Thank you very much for this recommendation. I just received mine from the seller and they are a huge improvement from the previous ebay pads I'd been using for the last few years. Very soft and comfortable.
I'm glad you like them too !
And they also fit the other headphones of the series : MDR CD 750 / 850 / 950 / 1000.
No doubt that they will last longer than the original ear pads.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #401 of 451
I'm glad you like them too !
And they also fit the other headphones of the series : MDR CD 750 / 850 / 950 / 1000.
No doubt that they will last longer than the original ear pads.

Would you say these pads improved body/bass over the stock pads ?

I have a Sony CD950 (little brother of CD3000 with same shape/ear pads) and i'm looking for replacement pads.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #402 of 451
Would you say these pads improved body/bass over the stock pads ?

I have a Sony CD950 (little brother of CD3000 with same shape/ear pads) and i'm looking for replacement pads.

I didn't compare the CD3000 with real leather ear pads against CD3000 with plastic replacement ear pads, nor with original pleather ear pads. I'll try to compare them when I have some free time.
What I can say right now is that real leather ear pads are comfortable and much softer that the plastic replacement ear pads you can find on ebay, but you can wear both of them for long hours without any problem. And real leather ear pads seem to be as much as soft as the original ear pads.
Regarding the improvement of bass, I need to check, I wouldn't say something wrong to you.

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #403 of 451
The leather set that I received were really tight. Seems to be on the small side.
For comfort, the original pleather is best and the plastic being worst.
For sound, same order. The aftermarket leather pads did nothing to help the bass. Someone needs to come out with a big thick memory foam backed lamb skin pads like what's on all the late model TOTL can's. That might help the bass.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #404 of 451
The leather set that I received were really tight. Seems to be on the small side.
For comfort, the original pleather is best and the plastic being worst.
For sound, same order. The aftermarket leather pads did nothing to help the bass. Someone needs to come out with a big thick memory foam backed lamb skin pads like what's on all the late model TOTL can's. That might help the bass.

Recabled it with a thick gauge and high quality copper cable and bass quantity is no longer an issue. Stock cable is horrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back