Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Feb 13, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #31 of 2,544
The original shell seems sounds the best of all? I guess chamber of resonance (big / small shell space), distance between driver to nozzle are make big differences in sound signature after all.

The ways I see it, that would certainly be the safest way to go.

For a no fuss solution, recable and done. The benefit is all of Sony’s engineering. Downside is fixed cable.

The advantage of driver transplant is any shell you want, easily ability to switch to removable jack, etc. The downside is you are gonna have to tinker with all of the tuning yourself.

I’m personally not going to spend a extraordinary amount of time chasing my tail on a driver swap (trying to retune it, only to end up with it sounding worse than stock).

To me, it’s just not worth gaining a fancier shell and a removable cable (for me anyways). Especially when I’m honestly totally happy with the stock shell + foam plug removed + recable.

I plan to try a few ideas and see what the results are. But I have other projects that I would rather spend more time on (such as multi-BA projects).

In the back of my head, I still feel it’s possible to add a removable jack to the stock shell. That would negate the need for any driver swapping.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #32 of 2,544
yep thinking the same based on my quick experiment. There really isn't that much wrong with the basic stock shell, I don't even think a removable cable is worth it. The shell pops open so easy if the cable got destroyed for some reason it is simple to replace as long as you have soldering capabilities. The hardest part is fishing the wire through the stock strain relief.

If anyone was still considering a shell swap I don't think the QKZ VK3 shell would be a good idea given that the driver fires sideways out the nozzle, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #33 of 2,544
If anyone was still considering a shell swap I don't think the QKZ VK3 shell would be a good idea given that the driver fires sideways out the nozzle, just my 2 cents.
Actually, I think opposite, especially if driver is used with little or no filtering. At least with ZS4 shell, MH755 driver treble is tamed because of "junction-nozzle-barrel".
Will try VK3 shells soon and report back.

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #34 of 2,544
@Zerohour88 i got them from this store previously and they are legit, dunno abt now though but i was thinking to order another batch together with cables as i have ran out of them xD

https://m.tb.cn/h.3FhNF4V?sm=1cae83

And abt the E808+, i just saw this.. and this... Didnt know its an unofficial model. But in any case the ones that i have sound fantastic

nice, that's the same store I got it from. One for a recable (either MMCX or transplant from the IEM shelf), one for tinkering. Cheap enough that I can afford to destroy it and not feel too guilty.

Driver quality is the hardest thing to achieve, so having a pre-existing high-quality one helps a lot in tuning.

Like how a certain brand is always being bashed for using chinese BA, there's only so much you can do with low baseline.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #37 of 2,544
The original shell seems sounds the best of all? I guess chamber of resonance (big / small shell space), distance between driver to nozzle are make big differences in sound signature after all.

I really like the fit and sound of the original Shell. Think I'll just keep it simple and attempt a recable for my first ever mod. Reduce the chance of a screw up..

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #38 of 2,544
Is it easier to recable than I have built up in my mind?

If you have a little experience with using a soldering iron, normal eyesight and your hands don't shake too much, then I would say it's fairy easy to do.

With zero experience. Then there are plenty of you tube videos that can teach you how to do it and you can learn what you need to learn within a few hours... start out experimenting soldering cables to a few trash earbud/iems. Then you're good to go!

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #39 of 2,544
I will get another original MH755 and do reshell in VK3 or ZS4 shell and try to get it sound close to original as possible (by ears).

NB! beginners with soldering - do not damage driver with overheating! Any excess heat will damage driver and ruin its tuning!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #41 of 2,544
@mbwilson111 the Philips SHE3800 is another great earbud! I absolutely love them previously but my mom took the pair away as the recabled Vido i made for her the shell came loose and she didnt know what to do with it lol. Idk where she placed them after i gave her the recabled MH755 xD glad u reminded me of that! And i always wonder how the Edifier sounds as i have read a lot saying they are better in many ways...

As for the strain reliever @durwood i use a screwdriver head that is small enough to widen the relieve, and push the KZ wires (those fixed cables on the KZ AT* series) which is rubbery and hard to push in.

@Blazer39 u can just use a pin or even a staple to lightly lift the mesh covering the nozzle, then use a finger to hold onto the mesh and stick the pin not too deep, enough to hook the foam out, stick back the mesh and viola, profit!

I think the fear of soldering is stopping most from trying DIY. I started off knowing nothing, dont even know how to open up the shell of the earbud (thought it was glued) until i went on to find uncle golov's video on youtube. Then getting burnt a few times while soldering with one end of the connector hanging on the other end touching my leg xD (i should share a photo of my solder setup, but it looks sad) and my not-grounded soldering iron still acts like Pikachu, always shocking me time to time which acts as a good reminder.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #42 of 2,544
So I got my MH755 this morning, and after seeing how short the cable was, I went through with my plan to recable it.

IMG_20190214_133140.jpg IMG_20190214_133317.jpg IMG_20190214_133210.jpg IMG_20190214_133248.jpg IMG_20190214_133303.jpg

After getting the needed materials, I attempted to do it and with extremely little experience, I was able to repurpose an earbud I broke to be put on one of the MH755.

IMG_20190215_004846.jpg

That was much harder than I initially thought, but I am happy I finally succeeded with it. :)

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #43 of 2,544
So I got my MH755 this morning, and after seeing how short the cable was, I went through with my plan to recable it.

After getting the needed materials, I attempted to do it and with extremely little experience, I was able to repurpose an earbud I broke to be put on one of the MH755.

That was much harder than I initially thought, but I am happy I finally succeeded with it. :)

Nice looking cable!

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #44 of 2,544
Nice looking cable!
Thanks! It was attached to a diy earbud I bought locally that I didn't like the sound of. Since I was never going to use the bud, and I already broke it when I tried opening the shell (I didn't know MX500 shells had glue and I broke the driver when I heated the shell in my attempts to open it), I decided to just use it for my MH755, and I couldn't have been happier. They do make excellent looking cables.

I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned it, but the eartips on these are amazing! I stole the one attached, and attached it to my Crescent. I'm contemplating buying more pairs just to have extras of the medium eartips.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #45 of 2,544
@Slater or anyone else that knows. I was wanting to use my old KZ upgrade SPC cable for the MH755 upgrade but needed a couple questions answered. First, the cable is turned green so I was wondering if this cable could be dyed? If so, what are the methods are used to dye the cables? I know a guide was being worked on, but if someone could just summarize, assuming its possible to dye an oxidized cable, it would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back