Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Feb 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 2,546
Feb 13, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #18 of 2,546
just use a knife to pop open the shell unsolder 2 wires pull cable out push another in and resolder

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #20 of 2,546
just use a knife to pop open the shell unsolder 2 wires pull cable out push another in and resolder
When you put it like that, it goes sound easy

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #21 of 2,546
V60 is 10mm, I forgot to mention that. I was going to fill in the gap with silly putty, blue tac or rubber cement.

The other good thing about V60 is the nozzle is the exact same diameter so the black mesh will fit perfect. I am halfway there, already tore down the V60, just waiting for another set to show up today. I will provide some measurements to see how it compares the original.

The C version was a CTIA standard plug vs the OMTP MH1 if I recall, I did not know about the remote button thing. Where did you read that, now I am curious. The cable is really horrible though, so if I recable and that function existed it would be gone after a recable (i.e. no more magic button).
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-sony-mh1-–-the-best-kept-secret.632892/

You shouldn’t need blue tac and all that rigamaroll. A 1mm diameter difference means 0.5mm around the circumference. The glue you use should fill that in no problem.

Or you could cut a small strip of tape and wrap it once or twice around the circumference of the driver until the driver gets tightly. There’s your 0.5mm :wink:

As far as the paper clip or whatever trick, I read it somewhere in the 1st link I posted in Post #4 of this thread.

Update - Here’s the info:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-sony-mh1-–-the-best-kept-secret.632892/page-194#post-10281206

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #22 of 2,546
Once you wedge a razor blade or knife between the seems of the shell on the Mh755, it just pops apart.

So I made a MH755V60 but I lost the repsonse between 3-7Khz. I have a dip at about 5Khz, looks more like a MH1C response curve. Not sure how to get it back, I think the volume in front of the driver is too much or maybe with it being offset vs a straight shot out of the nozzle.

Didn't need to use the black mesh, just some micropore tape over the nozzle. Similar results with stuffing a bunch of foam in the nozzle, or using the TRNV60 grill plus the black mesh from the Sony. So 3 ways to achieve MH1c curve. Now how do I get the original curve back.

Also, filled the backside with putty to reduce bass if too much.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #23 of 2,546
Once you wedge a razor blade or knife between the seems of the shell on the Mh755, it just pops apart.

So I made a MH755V60 but I lost the repsonse between 3-7Khz. I have a dip at about 5Khz, looks more like a MH1C response curve. Not sure how to get it back, I think the volume in front of the driver is too much or maybe with it being offset vs a straight shot out of the nozzle.

Didn't need to use the black mesh, just some micropore tape over the nozzle. Similar results with stuffing a bunch of foam in the nozzle, or using the TRNV60 grill plus the black mesh from the Sony. So 3 ways to achieve MH1c curve. Now how do I get the original curve back.

Also, filled the backside with putty to reduce bass if too much.

Hmmm, I may have to reconsider my reshelling strategy.

I actually had a revelation last night, and I’ll probably go ahead and order the stuff to try my idea. If it works, it should preserve the stock tuning.

Stay tuned...

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #24 of 2,546
subbed!

still waiting for a couple of MH755 (here's hoping they're legit), though I am bewildered at the amount of DIY shells available on taobao for super cheap. Any tips on picking one? (taming down the supposed bass would be a priority, I guess, but improving other aspects such as soundstage would be nice).

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #25 of 2,546
IMG_1157.JPG a Blue cable seems to be a popular choice with the MH755 these days :)

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #26 of 2,546
Hmmm, I may have to reconsider my reshelling strategy.

I actually had a revelation last night, and I’ll probably go ahead and order the stuff to try my idea. If it works, it should preserve the stock tuning.

Stay tuned...

Interested to know what you got cooking, definitely tuned /pun intended

also in the US i think eardio is ebay seller spassear because they are both located in Champaign, il. That is one the sellers still selling.

Here is my results
Red-original
Green-installed in v60 no mods
blue-v60 grill plus mh755 black mesh filter
orange-v60 no grill but micropore tape over nozzle.
pink-only rear chamber volume reduced with putty. could have been blocking rear vent too by accident
upload_2019-2-13_18-3-56.png

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #27 of 2,546
@Zerohour88 i got them from this store previously and they are legit, dunno abt now though but i was thinking to order another batch together with cables as i have ran out of them xD

https://m.tb.cn/h.3FhNF4V?sm=1cae83

And abt the E808+, i just saw this.. and this... Didnt know its an unofficial model. But in any case the ones that i have sound fantastic

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #28 of 2,546
And abt the E808+, i just saw this.. and this... Didnt know its an unofficial model. But in any case the ones that i have sound fantastic

Yes, my recabled one sounds great! I already knew when I bought it that is has nothing to do with Sony. Just a good Chinese earbud like many others.

I also knew that my Philips 3800 also was not really made by Philips... I have a couple of others that are.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #29 of 2,546
Interested to know what you got cooking, definitely tuned /pun intended

also in the US i think eardio is ebay seller spassear because they are both located in Champaign, il. That is one the sellers still selling.

Here is my results
Red-original
Green-installed in v60 no mods
blue-v60 grill plus mh755 black mesh filter
orange-v60 no grill but micropore tape over nozzle.
pink-only rear chamber volume reduced with putty. could have been blocking rear vent too by accident

The original shell seems sounds the best of all? I guess chamber of resonance (big / small shell space), distance between driver to nozzle are make big differences in sound signature after all.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #30 of 2,546
Honorable mention, the MDR E808+ earbud!

Not quite. While E808 is a real model, E808+ is not. Some counterfeit genius in China made up the + model a long time to capitalize on the polularity of E808. So many were made and sold, people just start to assume it was a real model.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back