Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Feb 16, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #61 of 2,544
I read somewhere the mh755 white ones are legit but I dunno still hard to get

It doesn’t really work that way. There’s fakes of every color.

You have to look at the weight, the label and tags, and examine the driver. Or else buy a known genuine set.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #62 of 2,544
Feb 17, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #63 of 2,544
From what I’ve seen, most cables are PVC

TPE is the ‘gut’ cables KZ used to use. Everyone complained they were sticky and tangled easily.
I rarely see silicone, Kevlar, or Teflon insulation.
Hmmm... in contrary Im seeing most of time TPE, Teflon, "crystal" or whatever they name them... PVC and silicone coated wires are harder to find and usually higher priced, like Hakugei for example.

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #64 of 2,544
Hmmm... in contrary Im seeing most of time TPE, Teflon, "crystal" or whatever they name them... PVC and silicone coated wires are harder to find and usually higher priced, like Hakugei for example.

Well, most of the IEM cables i have are almost all clear PVC. But then again, I have mostly budget gear. But even my more expensive IEMs have PVC cables, like K5 and IT01.

When the wire sheath/insulation is crystal clear, or transparent dyed (like the transparent yellow we commonly see), that’s usually a dead giveaway it’s PVC.

Teflon isn’t crystal clear. And TPE and silicone isn’t perfectly crystal clear either, but more translucent.

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #65 of 2,544
Well, most of the IEM cables i have are almost all clear PVC. But then again, I have mostly budget gear. But even my more expensive IEMs have PVC cables, like K5 and IT01.
When the wire sheath/insulation is crystal clear, or transparent dyed (like the transparent yellow we commonly see), that’s usually a dead giveaway it’s PVC.
Teflon isn’t crystal clear. And TPE and silicone isn’t perfectly crystal clear either, but more translucent.
I have Papri/Acrolink AgCu 8-core cable in my hands... it`s very transparent and "crytal clear" I would say... and it`s teflon: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Headphone-Wire/32767554889.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dpLFpo9
Also, ask hakuzen about PVC cable DIY wires... there are pretty little choices and most of them are much pricier than other type material coated wires.
Thus, I conclude that most those cheap chi-fi cables actually use other than soft PVC... PE,TPE,Teflon, silicone etc. .
I have some different cables from KZ, MPS, Tennmak and none of them seem to have such soft PVC coating as IT01 cable.
Maybe there is different type and softness PVC, idk. Anyway, for DIY cables, it is hard to find soft PVC coated cables with good material and core-count... with reasonable price.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #66 of 2,544
Re the MH755 Well I took the little foams out of the nozzles, had a listen. Oh the shrillness, popped open the filters and stuck the foam back in...... much better

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #67 of 2,544
I have Papri/Acrolink AgCu 8-core cable in my hands... it`s very transparent and "crytal clear" I would say... and it`s teflon: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Headphone-Wire/32767554889.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dpLFpo9
Also, ask hakuzen about PVC cable DIY wires... there are pretty little choices and most of them are much pricier than other type material coated wires.
Thus, I conclude that most those cheap chi-fi cables actually use other than soft PVC... PE,TPE,Teflon, silicone etc. .
I have some different cables from KZ, MPS, Tennmak and none of them seem to have such soft PVC coating as IT01 cable.
Maybe there is different type and softness PVC, idk. Anyway, for DIY cables, it is hard to find soft PVC coated cables with good material and core-count... with reasonable price.

Not sure about all that friend. I'm not a cable expert.

All I know is the dye method works on some cables and not others. It's worked on every cable I've tried it on so far except for 1.

It's very possible it works on other materials of cables. It all depends on how reactive the material is to the solvent used as a carrier of the dye.

I make no guarantees, and the user accepts all responsibilities for mods.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #68 of 2,544
Re the MH755 Well I took the little foams out of the nozzles, had a listen. Oh the shrillness, popped open the filters and stuck the foam back in...... much better

@Slater I agree that his particular MH755 does sound better with the foams left in the nozzles. He only tried it because I wanted mine done and was afraid of ruining mine so he agreed to be the guinea pig :)

After he put his back together he took the foam out of mine for me and for some weird reason mine sounds better with them out. So I will leave this pair ... the one with the pink tips... with the foams out. My orange ones will remain as they are for now and I have a couple more coming.

I don't know if we had different results because we have different cables. He has the blue twisted one and I have that coppery one.

BTW mine had more foam than his... a longer bit of it so it went farther into the nozzle. These particular ones are from different batches so a different person probably was doing it for each.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #69 of 2,544
@Slater I agree that his particular MH755 does sound better with the foams left in the nozzles. He only tried it because I wanted mine done and was afraid of ruining mine so he agreed to be the guinea pig :)

After he put his back together he took the foam out of mine for me and for some weird reason mine sounds better with them out. So I will leave this pair ... the one with the pink tips... with the foams out. My orange ones will remain as they are for now and I have a couple more coming.

I don't know if we had different results because we have different cables. He has the blue twisted one and I have that coppery one.

BTW mine had more foam than his... a longer bit of it so it went farther into the nozzle. These particular ones are from different batches so a different person probably was doing it for each.

Wow, that’s very interesting!

Just goes to show you, there is definitely variability in headphone production.

Glad you like it without the foam - your 1st mod!

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #70 of 2,544
Wow, that’s very interesting!

Just goes to show you, there is definitely variability in headphone production.

Glad you like it without the foam - your 1st mod!

Well @HungryPanda did it. I have lost a lot of dexterity in my fingers over the years.

I do still want to do whatever is supposed to be done to the ZST to make me not hate the treble... someday...

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #71 of 2,544
I took the foam out and liked em better that way too. Been thinking of playing around with screens, but I really need to dye a cable of mine orange to match my MD player. Been thinking about bringing back the MD at least part time. Sounds great, and when I lived in Japan I bought a small cd player that had a HDD that converted CDs to ATRAC files that could be easily transferred to Sony MD via port. Was one of the greatest things ever back in 2002. By 2005 I bought a 80gb iPOD Video and that was that. I still have the CD player. It has a pretty impressive DAC(cant remember what) and sounds great as does the Sony MD.
P9200019.JPG

IMG_20190204_181611.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #72 of 2,544
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #73 of 2,544
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #74 of 2,544
Yeah, with stock shell it gets too much in treble without foams in nozzle.

What is that Sonicast Direc? Never heard before, anyone has them to compare with MH755?

i personally haven't tried it, but someone put it on auction in my local forum, that's why i browsed the net for it, and by chance stumbles on a graph comparing it to the MH755

all i know it is Korean made

Users who are viewing this thread

Back