Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #841 of 2,543
Yep, I asked if they can correct the mistake. Will let you know if they will just send the correct one or a prepaid label to send the wrong one back.

Edit: Looks like they won't just send the correct one or a prepaid label. They want me to apply for a refund and then repurchase.

"You apply for a full refund to go ahead and repurchase"

Seeing how another headfi member also received the black set when they ordered a white, repurchasing doesn't inspire confidence...

Seller just refunded purchase, so at least I'm not out anything. I still don't have a white MH750, but...

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #842 of 2,543
Oh, wow. My MH-755s from eBay finally arrived last week, and I have been trying them out.

With the first one, from Hong Kong, I was underwhelmed. It was just a thinner sound than I am used to (from Chi-Fi), and less detail than I expected.

But the second one, from Germany, I think, is amazing for $5. Still 'thinner' than most of my IEMs, but the clarity is amazing for something in its price bracket. I didn't notice the natural tuning at first, but it gradually resolved itself through comparison of melody with harmony, and the surprising dynamics that the IEM is capable of. Listening to Matthew Good Band's Vancouver, and it's competing effectively with a $30-40 Chi-Fi IEM, and beating the CCA C10 in some categories. Better than the KZ ED9, in my view.

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #843 of 2,543
Oh, wow. My MH-755s from eBay finally arrived last week, and I have been trying them out.

With the first one, from Hong Kong, I was underwhelmed. It was just a thinner sound than I am used to (from Chi-Fi), and less detail than I expected.

But the second one, from Germany, I think, is amazing for $5. Still 'thinner' than most of my IEMs, but the clarity is amazing for something in its price bracket. I didn't notice the natural tuning at first, but it gradually resolved itself through comparison of melody with harmony, and the surprising dynamics that the IEM is capable of. Listening to Matthew Good Band's Vancouver, and it's competing effectively with a $30-40 Chi-Fi IEM, and beating the CCA C10 in some categories. Better than the KZ ED9, in my view.

People like the silicon stock tips but they sound thin and midfi to me.

I get way lower ambient noise. And better timbre with aftermarket tips. To me they add about 100% improvement even when cost of tips are same as items

Ymmv

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #844 of 2,543
People like the silicon stock tips but they sound thin and midfi to me.

That has not been my experience. In fact I put a pair of the stock MH755 tips on a different IEM tonight with amazing results. Much of it has to do with the individuals ear anatomy.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #845 of 2,543
Interesting. I can substantiate some of this. I put the tips from my 'bad' MH755 onto a Blon Bl-03, and it was more comfortable than the stock tips, seemed to make a better seal leading to better sound.

However, I haven't tried different tips on the MH755 itself, and I have a lot now. Cheap T400 foams, Dekoni medium tips, VSonic and TFZ silicone tips, Comply T500 (for my V80), TRN and KZ foams, so I'm not sure what to try.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #846 of 2,543
Interesting. I can substantiate some of this. I put the tips from my 'bad' MH755 onto a Blon Bl-03, and it was more comfortable than the stock tips, seemed to make a better seal leading to better sound.

However, I haven't tried different tips on the MH755 itself, and I have a lot now. Cheap T400 foams, Dekoni medium tips, VSonic and TFZ silicone tips, Comply T500 (for my V80), TRN and KZ foams, so I'm not sure what to try.

Just try all the available tips u have with a new IEM purchase - that's why we call it tiprolling here on headfi. U will be surprised that some eartips give better fit/isolation/sound signature than the stock tips provided, as we all have different ear anatomies. And most of the CHIFI brands make and test their IEMs/eartips with their local Chinese consumers in mind, so the westerners may have a fitting issue as the Chinese may have smaller build/ears than the average westerner. YMMV.

I always try different sets of eartips with a new IEM purchase I got before I can comment on the sound signature. Unless u wanna go down the route of getting custom IEMs LOL.

Oct 26, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #847 of 2,543
If you see one you like, quote the post and ask the person where they got it.

Like this but there are many

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33005858099.html

This is the cable I've tried, mostly successfully. Question though: I find the plastic wire cover for each ear is not quite thin enough to go through the MH755 sleeve, which is what I'd like to pull through so I can tie it in a knot for protection against tugs. If I strip the wire down so there's no plastic on the wire it will slide easily through the MH755, but not knot easily. How do you get this specific wire through the IEM back and knot it to prevent accidentally undoing the soldering?

Oct 26, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #848 of 2,543
This is the cable I've tried, mostly successfully. Question though: I find the plastic wire cover for each ear is not quite thin enough to go through the MH755 sleeve, which is what I'd like to pull through so I can tie it in a knot for protection against tugs. If I strip the wire down so there's no plastic on the wire it will slide easily through the MH755, but not knot easily. How do you get this specific wire through the IEM back and knot it to prevent accidentally undoing the soldering?

If you look at my photo in this post you will see it fits

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...5-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/page-13#post-14907468

Zoom in on the yellow tipped one. That is the cable you are talking about. Maybe @HungryPanda can explain how he did it.

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #849 of 2,543
If you look at my photo in this post you will see it fits

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...5-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/page-13#post-14907468

Zoom in on the yellow tipped one. That is the cable you are talking about. Maybe @HungryPanda can explain how he did it.

Thanks for the reply. The wire (with plastic cover) does fit, to a point (maybe 1/8"?). It just seems in my experience that it's not easy to pull through so that you have 1/2" of plastic-covered wire "inside" which you can knot, which is how they come stock. If HP has some lifehack like hairdryer applied to some warm-boiled keyboard o-rings, I'd love to hear how the wrapped wire gets pulled through!

Oct 27, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #850 of 2,543
If it is tight a little liquid soap, just a little helps squeeze it through the strain relief. I think I just twisted it till it went through. I removed the strain relief from the body, pushed the cable through the hole then put it into the strain relief then pulled the strain relief back through the hole.

Oct 27, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #851 of 2,543
If it is tight a little liquid soap, just a little helps squeeze it through the strain relief. I think I just twisted it till it went through. I removed the strain relief from the body, pushed the cable through the hole then put it into the strain relief then pulled the strain relief back through the hole.
That's how I did mine - with a lot of twisting and wiggling.

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #852 of 2,543
Just try all the available tips u have with a new IEM purchase - that's why we call it tiprolling here on headfi. U will be surprised that some eartips give better fit/isolation/sound signature than the stock tips provided, as we all have different ear anatomies. And most of the CHIFI brands make and test their IEMs/eartips with their local Chinese consumers in mind, so the westerners may have a fitting issue as the Chinese may have smaller build/ears than the average westerner. YMMV.

I always try different sets of eartips with a new IEM purchase I got before I can comment on the sound signature. Unless u wanna go down the route of getting custom IEMs LOL.
I feel like the stock tips on the 755 is just a worse version of the Hybrid tips. If there is any direct upgrade from it. I think the hybrid tips justify this.

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #853 of 2,543
20191028_000103.jpg
Tired waiting for my mmcx connector. Salvage a twisted cable from one of my earbud and with a lot of twisting it pulled through. Forgot to put chin slider. Ah well maybe next time. Too lazy to desolder.

Instead of desolder old wire I just clip (using nail clipper) them leaving the original solder intact. Less hassle and minimise solder time. My solder gun is not a very good one so I'm afraid too much time soldering would fry something.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #854 of 2,543
IMG_4021.JPG
It is not that easy to recable this iem. I have ordered cable from Ali. But I could resist myself. So I used my **** cable. First it is not easy to insert the cable through the strain relief. I had to strip the outer layer and then insert the cable. Then I have not done soldering for a long time. So it is very tricky. I had to solder and desolder so many times. And then the shell would not seal beacause there is not enough space inside. I thought there will be some problem. But finally I did it. And it sounds fine. I think it is a very good iem for the price.

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #855 of 2,543
It is not that easy to recable this iem. I have ordered cable from Ali. But I could resist myself. So I used my **** cable. First it is not easy to insert the cable through the strain relief. I had to strip the outer layer and then insert the cable. Then I have not done soldering for a long time. So it is very tricky. I had to solder and desolder so many times. And then the shell would not seal beacause there is not enough space inside. I thought there will be some problem. But finally I did it. And it sounds fine. I think it is a very good iem for the price.

Wow... and the drivers survived! Looks nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back