Sony 1000x mark ii - huzzah!
Apr 13, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #136 of 198
Has anyone tried WIRED connection with a low gain and high gain amp?
It sounds better when high gain amp, just wondering if it's just me.

46 ohm (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on),
14 ohm (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off)

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #137 of 198
I’m going to ask what is potentially a really stupid question. Just migrated from a Bose QC35ii (stolen, RIP). For firmware updates on Bose the app told you it was available you pressed a button and hey presto the cans updated “over the air”

What on earth is the procedure with the Sony’s? Googling has turned up nothing. Does the firmware not update?

Many thanks.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #138 of 198
It seems that people on Amazon are reporting issues with the headband once again, so perhaps that area wasn't improved over the predecessor? I'm interested in buying these, but it probably makes sense to buy an extended warranty on them. Has anyone here had their headband crack? Is it exactly the same as on the first model?

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #140 of 198
It seems that people on Amazon are reporting issues with the headband once again, so perhaps that area wasn't improved over the predecessor? I'm interested in buying these, but it probably makes sense to buy an extended warranty on them. Has anyone here had their headband crack? Is it exactly the same as on the first model?

How many. Do you have links? Think I only saw one report. No issues with mine but it’s only a few weeks old!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #141 of 198
No issues. Just one guy crying about it. The other guy crying about his identified his as the mdr1000x. Been using mine hard AF since DEC. I use them 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week at work driving a truck, and various warehouse work. Thankfully I have not had any problems and the headphones seem to be pretty well built.

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #142 of 198
No issues with the headband on mine either.

May 2, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #143 of 198
This might seem like a dumb question, but I'm presuming any changes you engage in the app will only apply when you use them with that one device? eg equaliser settings made on my iPhone will not carry over when I use them with my Mac? Seems a very limited way of doing things. It would be nice if the changes were incorporated into the headphones themselves.

May 17, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #144 of 198
May 17, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #145 of 198
Jun 1, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #146 of 198
Using the LDAC option at the highest bitrate and some slight EQ these things sound really really good. Even at home I've been using these over my HD650.

Here is the EQ I've been using.
Using the LDAC option at the highest bitrate and some slight EQ these things sound really really good. Even at home I've been using these over my HD650.

Here is the EQ I've been using.
Are you using any EQ in the sony app with the LDAC option? Wanted to try your setting but my pixel 2 general eq is much different from samsungs :frowning2:

How did it sound with previous settings posted several pages back on the android?

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #147 of 198
I tend to use wireless in-ears but as my ears developed wax blockage I decided to get over-ears for those occasions (computer, long trips/commuting) the portability isn't a must. I wanted something wireless and with good ANC as at times I need to focus on writing etc. and my cats (and spouse) can make it difficult. I did extensive research and, like many others, ended up deciding between the Bose and the Sonys. It seems the most reviewers say Sony has the better SQ and ANC while Bose has better build quality and comfort. I've tried both on (I have medium ears with XL-XXL head) and they are indeed polar opposites. The Bose feel like you are wearing two clouds around your ears which is obviously comfortable but perhaps a bit too comfortable as they felt kinda awkward on my head (I would describe it as a feeling of not being completely sure if you are wearing headphones or another type of headgear). The Sonys feel firm, perhaps a little too firm in terms of weight and slight clamping force. My ears did fit inside the tightly-spaced cups so that wasn't a problem. The deciding factor was really all the other extras you get with the Sonys that you don't with the Bose: the codecs (my 2010 iMac supports aptX and my Sony X Compact with Android Oreo supports LDAC) and the intuitive features such as EQ and Quick Attention. I probably wouldn't have bought the Bose anyway, as 350 dollars is a lot of money for me and even the 290 dollars I ended up paying for the Sonys was a bit high.

Currently I'm enjoying the Sonys but have still a window to return them. I keep them on a headphone hanger rack and I do find myself constantly checking if they have developed the infamous cracks. I do realize that there have been a lot less issues with cracking with the Mark II's and while the issue still persists, it's only an extremely small number of people who experience it. So you really do have to be unlucky. I am experiencing a bit of warmness inside the cups around my ears (even if I use them for under 30 minutes) but I would imagine even the Bose make your ears a bit warm because of the closed structure and because of the cups that have been made ANC in mind. All the other issues I don't mind: the white noise that the ANC emits is pretty quiet and even soothing, as a non-power user I don't have the need to connect the headphones to multiple devices and the auto off -feature can be fixed going wired or staying connected to BT with Adaptive off. I too have noticed that the Sonys cannot be worn around the neck comfortably but then again I would never take over-ears over IEMs into situations where I feel the need to take the headphones off without putting them away inside a case or a bag.

I played around with the EQ a a bit according to the suggestions in this thread and got slightly better SQ results. By the way, has anyone compared LDAC to aptX HD and chose the latter.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #148 of 198
I keep them on a headphone hanger rack and I do find myself constantly checking if they have developed the infamous cracks. I do realize that there have been a lot less issues with cracking with the Mark II's and while the issue still persists, it's only an extremely small number of people who experience it. So you really do have to be unlucky.​

Well, I wear mine for working on the bike in the garage and painting the shed. I've used them pretty heavily for 6 months now and they're still as good as new. I wouldn't worry overly (personally, I bought a Sony 5 year warranty for £15) and just enjoy them!

And yes, they are awful to wear around the neck and they do make your ears warm. I suppose both are features of the design.

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #149 of 198
I keep them on a headphone hanger rack and I do find myself constantly checking if they have developed the infamous cracks. I do realize that there have been a lot less issues with cracking with the Mark II's and while the issue still persists, it's only an extremely small number of people who experience it. So you really do have to be unlucky.​

Thanks for reassuring me. I'll probably end up keeping the XM2s although I'm either tempted at getting the newly-released Anker Soundcore Space NCs for 100 dollars (I hear they are extremely bang-for-buck and at least 90% close to 1000XM2 in terms of SQ and ANC) or see if we get XM3s in Q3/Q4 and if they change the design at all (I'm sure they'll do USB-C and BT5.0 but I wonder if they address the tight ear cups or change the plasticy band). On the other hand, if I wait for the XM3s, I won't be getting them for under 300 dollars (which is pretty much my budget).​

Jun 29, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #150 of 198
Having read that constant use of the XM2's travel-case causes more stress in the hinge of the left ear-cup, I've begun to store them earpad-side up for roughly half the time, to even the stress between the 2 cups.
I also try to use minimum leverage on the hinges by coaxing the cups into storage position closer to the hinges for better modulation of rotation force.
Hopefully these measures will pay off, also for anyone else with similar breakage concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back